Thread: Lightweight GBOM case

Default Lightweight GBOM case

Just recently I acquired a new GBOM. It came with a nice, not fancy, tweed hard case. I would like to find a lighter weight foam type case, not gig bag. The Travelite TL-60 is the one I've been eyeing but Travelite seems to be redesigning their line or something. In any case(no pun) they are just not available anywhere. I also looked at Reunion Blues RBC3 but the internal dimensions are too big. So what alternatives for a good case are out there?

2. The following members say thank you to dorenac for this post:

Default Re: Lightweight GBOM case

The factory hard-shell case for my Weber OM has to be the heaviest case I've ever lifted, so when I take my OM out for sessions or gigs, I use the older version of that Reunion Blues gig bag made for classical guitars and Dobros.

It's not a good fit for the smaller OM body, so I just roll up a terrycloth towel and set it on the treble side. It fills up the extra space and adds a little extra padding, which doesn't hurt. The towel does add add a little extra weight, so if you want to keep the bag even lighter, you could make a custom foam liner to take up the space.

Foldedpath do you have a guitar body or A-style body?

It's an F-style Weber (A-style with the curly bits).

For lightweight protection, I'm a big fan of the Godin TRIC cases. I don't know if one of them is shaped appropriately for your instrument. Here's a link:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TRICCaseDLX
    EdSherry

i have a ritter soft banjo case that i use for my weber A octave. fits well.

What size is the body, 14"? I have one of those travelite cases somewhere around here. Now you have me wondering if my GOM will fit in there. Right now I have it in the Ameritage case that it came in, but that thing weighs a ton.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

This instrument is a guitar body octave. Body length=18", lower bout = 14-1/4", upper bout =10-7/8". overall length = 36-1/4". It's about 5-1/4" high at the bridge. It's archtop, f-holes. It's made by Bill Bussman, Old Wave. And it's just a wonderful instrument. No one seems to know exactly what's going on with Travelite cases. Something about redesigning their line. Another rumor was that a shipment was stuck on the West coast longshoreman's strike. The net result is they are unavailable apparently. So I've been search for other well made brands that would fit fairly closely.

I just came across case I wasn't familiar with. BAM Classis for Classical Guitars. It's a pricey case but it has the best internal dimensions of anything I've found. Anyone know about these? Are they worth the cost?
    Last edited by dorenac; Jul-31-2015 at 11:15am.

How about the Reunion Blues Continental case for classical guitar? Those are pretty rigid cases. I have a tenor guitar in one right now.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

My Dearstone came in a lite "travelite" style case. It worried me to use it, if I put it in the trunk it had to be on top, nothing could be where it could slide against it etc. I finally decided that when I couldn't carry a mandolin in a case that would protect it I would just quit playing. If I had to lug a banjo the weight would be an issue and I'd want as light a case as possible but all I'd stand to lose would be a banjo.

Well we all have different needs and uses with our mandolins. In my case the guitar body mandolin doesn't spend any time in a car or for that matter any "hostile" environment. And for instance I believe Mike Marshall stores his Gibson Loar in a Travelite case. So inasmuch as I will subject my instrument to less threatening situations I believe the case I'm looking for will be fine for my desires. But I understand not all situations are the same.

Thread Necromancy but it's still relevant.

I put a Bayard 22" GBOM in an Access 3 small guitar gig bag and it's a nice fit. Access sells extra padding for the upper, lower, and bottom if you need it as well (I'm getting these to snug it up a bit). I would definitely recommend the lower bout pad as it will protect the strap pin.

The neck support is movable so you can fit it to your gbom. It's a nice case/bag hybrid and I got for around $150. The extra padding lets you customize it as well. NFI
    https://www.accessbagsandcases.com/p...ic-guitar-bag/
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com