Thread: Loar 370

Default Loar 370

Just ordered a Loar 370 today and was wondering if anyone owned one or had any experience with it.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: Loar 370

Here's a thread about it The-loar-lm-370-vsm

Looks like the "Grassroots" series, Robert Fear at FolkMusician.com probably knows as much as anyone...see his reply in the thread I linked...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

Thank you. I saw one at festival this year and it sounded good just haven't had one in my hands

5. The following members say thank you to Smh1970 for this post:

I have both an A style and F style Loar and they both sound great! Really love to play them.

Quote Originally Posted by Smh1970 View Post
    Just ordered a Loar 370 today and was wondering if anyone owned one or had any experience with it.
    Not to discourage you at all...
    Yes for a very short time. I am new to mando and I kept telling my wife about The Loar 370. But I was still looking at others and mentioned The Loar LM 520 to here but it was too late. My wife and daughter had conspired and bought me the 370 and presented it to me. I was totally surpriised. Bless their little hearts.
    I returned it less than two weeks later. They bought it from Amazon, (something I would not have done). It came and of course needed setup (which I did not do or have done). I tinkered and played for about a week and said nope, my mind was already kinda set on the 520. The 370 was ok. I didn't care for the flat finish much. The tailpiece cover just slid and fell right off. Just little things that I didn't care for. It sounded good to my untrained ear, I'm new to this. I just had decided to spend another $140 to get a solid wood mando with a little nicer finish and it came set up very nicely from Folkmusician. I am very happy with my decision thus far...
    -al

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandoleisure For This Useful Post:

Thanks for your input. I know a really good luthier so I hope that will go in my favor. I am a stage hand for a local bluegrass festival and have heard quite a few Loars, but I keep getting mixed reviews. I think the rover rm75 had fuller volume but that much money for a lower end model pushed me in the direction I'm headed.

I own one. It is my first mandolin so i dont have anything to compare it against, but i like the way it plays, and has a nice tone. i got mine at a music store and after reading alot about set up on this forum i have come to the conclusion "not bad". i play it about four hours a day, anytime that i can sit for more than 10 min its in my hands. If this is your first i think you will like it

11. The following members say thank you to DonHolland for this post:

Blog Entries

I believe the top is solid but back & sides are laminate instead of solid...
    I think, therefore, I pick.

13. The following members say thank you to Richard J for this post:

Just came in today! You where right love the thing! Thanks donholland

I am wavering (when I get hit with irresistible MAS) between a Kentucky 150 and a Loar A style. Folkmusician had a lot of good things to say about the Loar, and that has just about convinced me. Previously, I was leaning towards the Kentucky. Of course, all you veterans can tell I am a beginner. I am playing a $100 mandolin now that I set up using Rob's e-book. I think I would be able to play a little better on a better instrument (maybe), but at my stage of learning, I think the $100 job can play a lot better than I can. I am also on the frugal (cheap) side. I think it is my northern Europe heritage, probably!

Glad you like yours, Smh1970.

I think you would be happy with it! Nice mellow sound and good volume, I don't understand why people bash Loar so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Smh1970 View Post
    Just came in today! You where right love the thing! Thanks donholland
    Awesome, congrats!!!