Thread: New Mandolin buy NEED ADVICE

Default New Mandolin buy NEED ADVICE

So I've been playing the past 2 months on a cheap Chinese mandolin but I want to buy a new and more serious mandolin (been playing piano, violin, classical bass and guitar since 8 so no inexperienced musician).

So looking on the dutch equivalent of craigslist I see these 3 adds for handmade mandolins by a dutch builder (not luthier as far as I know), these mandolins are F-style and he asks around 800-900 euro's which is from experience cheap as #### seeing we only have 2 instruments that were cheaper in house (between 4 musicians).

So is this a normal price for a handmade mandolin I have no clue about the market on these things.
    btw I love the headstock on this one with the violin curl

Included some pics;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_84.JPG 
Views:	397 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	136908

Name:	$_85.JPG 
Views:	340 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	136909

Name:	$_85.JPG 
Views:	345 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	136910

Default Re: New Mandolin buy NEED ADVICE

Google converts 900 Euro to $985.15 USD. That's very inexpensive for a handmade mandolin in the US. You should try playing it and comparing it to what is available in your area. Do you know the name of the builder?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Google converts 900 Euro to $985.15 USD. That's very inexpensive for a handmade mandolin in the US. You should try playing it and comparing it to what is available in your area. Do you know the name of the builder?
    His name is Teun van Duijvenbode, with the exception of his own website the only other mention of his name is from somebody's basement music project. That's why I started questioning, I can go check out his instruments but it's a 150km trek for me so by dutch standards that's basically the other side of the country.

The ones I have pictures of all look great and of high quality but still 800 bucks is not a lot for a hand made instrument.

I'd be very surprised if that is a handmade instrument, and looking at the glossy brochure I'd expect them to originate from a production line in China.

Despite the shiny finish the workmanship looks really crude, compared to (say) a Kentucky. The headstock is a visual disaster, with the worm under tuners looking badly out of position.

None of this will matter too much if you can both try one for yourself and hear someone else play it since you'll know exactly how it sounds. But I suspect that they've been built to sell on appearance rather than any musical qualities.

So I talked to a friend of mine who knows the guy who made the recording and he's gonna try it tomorrow (lives in the same town) so we'll see

Here's a video where someone is playing one of that chap's mandolins:

We obviously have different aesthetic tastes. I thought the headstock in the pictures you posted was an absolute disaster, and may well be the reason why it's being sold so cheap. Is it the maker who's listing it for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by houseworker View Post
    Here's a video where someone is playing one of that chap's mandolins:

We obviously have different aesthetic tastes. I thought the headstock in the pictures you posted was an absolute disaster, and may well be the reason why it's being sold so cheap. Is it the maker who's listing it for sale?
    yea a mate of mine knows that dude so. That head is just on that specific mandolin. pics an other one:

Views:	263 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	136915

Quote Originally Posted by Senaeth View Post
    That head is just on that specific mandolin. pics an other one:

Views:	263 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	136915
    That looks much better. At least the tuner buttons follow the line of the headstock.

Just took a quick look at the builder's website with Google translate. One thing that really jumped out at me was a picture of an oval hole two point that the builder identifies as an A style, and then says that it should work like an F5. Maybe I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but I have trouble putting faith in a builder who believes an oval hole two point will function (sound?) like an F5 in pretty much any way.

http://www.bluegrassmandolinebouw.nl/fotos.html
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

my trust in this builders is going down hill pretty fast. Thank god I posted a tread here before making a 300km trek

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

I don't find 'absolute disaster' to be very descriptive without qualification. I thought it looked good; (although the top looks pretty grainy, like low grade spruce, etc.); but I noticed something else that I'm not sure about. The 'recurve area' is very pronounced. That might be good; but I do not recall seeing a recurve that visible; and I wonder if this is a characteristic of pressed wood. I really don't know; but maybe someone with more experience with building, etc., might comment on that.

I would want to know exact specs - like "solid, hand-carved, graduated" (maple, spruce, sides, etc) and other things like specific finish, bridge material, fretboard, etc. brand of pegs, the works - or is it secret for some reason.

Specs should not be a difficult question; it should be right up front.

At that price, there's some compromise; but to avoid compromise you can spend 1000's or worse. Real wood, and proper building technique goes a long way in the price range.

You often have to consider cost of a proper 'setup' - this is commonly required, unless specified. It's not very expensive, and you should be able to consider doing it yourself.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

Hmmmm, most people couldn't tell an F model from an A model built by the same builder in a blind test. I wouldn't discount this guy, see what he has to offer.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

So a friend of mine knows the guy who made the recording posted earlier and he went to him to hear that mandolin. I trust my friend's judgement on this because we played in an orchestra for a couple of years together and he knows his stuff.

The following are direct quotes of messages he send me:
    "holy crap what a piece of ****"
    "looks great from afar but the closer you get the more obvious the crappy craftsmanship gets"
    "It sounded like a diddly-bow being smothered by a wet blanket. That might be a bit too much but sounded some cheap Chinese ***********"
    "Frank told me he was not happy with it either"
    "don't do it, you'll be spending your money on really expensive firewood"

So I guess that's a no on this builder. Thanks for all the replies

Hi, I'm Frank, the guy in that video.

Who's your friend? I've only ever used this mandolin live twice for acoustic shows, because it doesn't have a pickup and micing it up doesn't work for my setup. I plan on getting a piezo built in. Anyway, I doubt he's seen it.

Teun is a very friendly guy and his craftsmanship is top notch. He's getting on in years so he makes the occasional mistake. The first mandolin I bought from him had some intonation problems so he built a brand new one for me no questions asked. I'm very happy with this one. It sounds great, plays well and looks gorgeous. I've played some better mandolins, no doubt, but it sure knocks my '70s Ibanez out of the park.

I would definitely recommend paying him a visit.

PS The video is not exactly a mandolin demonstration, it's just a whimsical song I submitted to an art competition

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FrankN For This Useful Post:

Not sure how much travel this may be for you to find one, but I would wholeheartedly suggest checking out Flatbush mandolins by Victor Smith.

http://www.flatbush.dk/

I play a V4, which is pretty similar to the standard F-style mandolin, just with a simplified version of a scroll and missing a 'point' or two and some of the fancy inlay work. the V5 is the same as mine but fancier work and he does make an F5 as well and A style.
    I absolutely love my V4 and get lots of compliments on the sound from others. It is a high quality instrument for sure.
    Much higher cost than the price you mention above, but it sounds like that may be closer to the quality you are looking for.
    Good luck!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Hello Frank..welcome to the café. I enjoyed that video and a few others you made. looks like you are having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackgaryk View Post
    Hello Frank..welcome to the café. I enjoyed that video and a few others you made. looks like you are having fun.
    Thanks Jack! Much appreciated.

Registered User Hendrik Luurtsema's Avatar

I met luthier Teun van Duyvenbode yesterday and bought a two-point A-model from him. He showed me his workshop and al his tools. He build all his mandolins by hand. Al his mandolins are fully carved and tap-tuned and look georgous. The setup was not perfect to me, but after changing the strings and a couple of small changes it plays and sounds wonderful. It has a good chop and a sweet tone. It's not particularly loud, but I have my Prucha as Main Axe. I played another F-model, the one with the violincurl headstock (Senaeth). it was a bit louder and fuller than mine, but also a very good sounding mandolin.
    All his mandolins come with a foto-album from the whole proces of building! He started making mandolins in 1983...

Name:	7.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	145821

20. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Luurtsema for this post:

wooq 

Registered User Hendrik Luurtsema's Avatar

This s how a "Teun van Duijvenbode" sounds.. I have it for a week now and its sound is still getting better. I love it!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hendrik Luurtsema For This Useful Post: