Thread: clip on dynamic mics

"Soul-Full Roots & Blues"

Default clip on dynamic mics

Anyone have any experience using clip on dynamics like beyerdynamic? I play in two bands- a trad-grass where a straight mic works well, but also in a LOUD thrashy jammy kind of string band where feedback is killer and volume is needed. My PU took a poop on me. Our banjo player in the loud band uses a (cheapo) clip on condenser that is nothing but (literal) headaches with this bands setup (frequently competing with guit & bass through amps while mando/banjo just use in-house monitors. I have an amp, too but it usually doesnt help much. And no, they wont turn down... ever.

Anyone with any personal experience greatly appreciated! (Also looking at the K&K or AT clip on condensers but dynamic seems to attract me more from my straight mic experience. I usually use a Beta 87a condenser for my other band happily but doesnt cut the mustard in both environments.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: clip on dynamic mics

Not cheap but I use a Sony ECM77. Great in 'tame' environments, and doesn't need much fader due to the integral preamp. But when it's noisy I poke it through a hole in a blind grommet and mic it from inside the lower f hole (the grommet fits really well) you could give that a go. The other thin I've done is to make a cowl from bluetak to shield the audience side when it's suspended in the normal outside position. Both 'quick and dirty' solutions as I rarely play noisy places and prefer to just use the condenser to allow a close mic along with the main ones.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Blog Entries

Must confess I have only run into these when attached to a drum kit (dynamic clip on mics), so can't really predict how they'd be in mandolin. Seem to recall the ones I encountered were some Sennheiser model, this one, as far as I can remember.

VERY low output! Needed high gain on the preamps. All I can say is I did not feel the urge to investigate further.

Truly, I think if you dealing with very high stage volumes, I'd take the easy route. K&K Piezo (or similar). When it gets really loud, no-one is going to be able to tell a decent piezo from a vintage KM-54 anyway...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Shure , a Dynamic lavallièr mic was mentioned on this Forum , before ..

Condenser lavallières are more often used because they Miniaturize better ..

and get combined with a wireless transmitter, one battery running both.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture