Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sally Goodin--Mandolin Project Discussion

Wow! This is great stuff. Loved both versions. I don't know this song but I started on it last night - the Tabledit version. This song has been going through my head since I heard Benignus' version yesterday.

Can someone record just the Guitar part and post it to this site. It would be fun playing along with a rhythm track.

Sjennings - only playing for one year? No one is buying that

Great work folks!

Quote Originally Posted by (Benignus @ Mar. 07 2004, 12:32)
    Would you be willing to share recording details for us technophiles?

- Benignus
    Thanks for the kind words, Benignus!

I just bought a Tascam US-122 audio/MIDI interface (like an external sound card) and plugged in a Studio Projects B1 condenser mic. #I recorded the guitar track on Goldwave, and added a tiny bit of reverb there. #I couldn't figure out how to get Goldwave to play back the guitar track while I recorded the others, so I exported the file to Audacity and did the rest there. #I added a little reverb and noise reduction to the mando and voice tracks also. #I found that what appeared to be a very simplistic program (Audacity) was really a pretty good one that is just simple. #

With a little time spent, I'm sure you could come up with a great sounding recording with my humble setup, local "performer" notwithstanding!

pickinNgrinnin, sorry about leaving out a little info #I've played guitar for 27 years, but just bought my first mando about a year ago. #I didn't have to learn how to fret cleanly and use a pick, and I knew a limited amount of theory (always played more by ear), so I had a pretty good leg up on anyone starting from "scratch". #I have learned more in the last year playing mandolin and reading all the great info on the Cafe than I ever learned in 5 years before. # #

Thank all of you, BTW, for your contributions to my musical education!

Have a great day!

Shane

Oh yeah, I learned to play guitar by playing John Denver songs when I was 9. #I already had learned the fiddle and dobro solo parts on mando before the Sally project. #Figured I'd better start with John Denver again. #I'd forgotten until I started listening to his stuff again last year just how many songs had a bluegrassy feel. I had always sung the line about playing Sally Goodin, but never learned the song. This was fun!

I've been watching the "Project" from afar, thinking it was a good idea, and I still think it is a great idea. But I remember learning Sally Goodin thirty years ago, and it was a really simple tune that was great for beginners because it required three fingers, three strings, and the 2nd through the 5th position. The input from most of the beginners would indicate that is their desire. I'll be the first to admit I like playing variations with double stops and up the neck, but isn't this a beginners forum? It's no wonder people that are learning to play the mandolin get intimidated by more advanced players, it gets way too complicated, way too fast. Keep it simple, and the beginners will appreciate the original motive of the thread. Just my opinion. Shane's version is good because it starts with the simpleist form of the tune and then advances into more complex variations. Keep up the great input and questions, I'm anxious to see what the April tune will be. If nothing else, this thread has made me go back and re-visit a fiddle tune classic.

If I can't play the simple version, how am I going to and embelishments and variations? Dan
    Play em like you know em!

Unhappy

How do ya play the slides and ties? They're all thru the standard notation of the TEF.
    It's "Appalachia," (Apple-at-chuh), like I'm gunna throw an apple atcha' if you correct me again.

nik,

i just ignore the slides no sense in making it more complicated than necessary.

craig

But, if I get to it, how do ya? I jess wanna know. Chances are it's like tremellos-something I'll get the theory but sure ain't doin. *L*

It's "Appalachia," (Apple-at-chuh), like I'm gunna throw an apple atcha' if you correct me again.

nik,

for some stupid reason, the slides aren't coming up on my TEF, now. #can you give me an example of a measure with a slide? #seems i remember there was a slide in measure 15 where it goes G# to F# or maybe it's from teh F# to the G.

craig

I'm on a different file actually. I chose the "White" one. The Monroe ain't happening. I took one look/listen at it and started listening to the others *LOL*

Just in theory (since I probably won't actually get to it anyhow) how is a slide done? Do you just slide your finger up the string a couple frets or what? (AKA, I don't have it handy *L*)

nik,

as an example, if you were sliding from a C to C# on the A-string, you fret the C and pick the string as you normally would. then, rather than lift your figure to go for the C#, you just slide it from the C to C# in keeping with the time signature. you don't pluck the string again, either. the string should just continue to ring.

does that make sense?

nik,

BTW, the version that is posted on the group site isn't the Monroe version. i just checked the White version you are doing, and i think the version we're working on may be a bit easier, especially if you just stick with the first A & B parts. all those slides in the White version would be a bit tricky. just a thought . . .

Which one then? I went thru all the ones on my zip of the TEF...but, you know...my zip may be outdated. *L* I downloaded it a long time ago.

Added later: I found it, but the link is broken.

nik,

i'll e-mail it to you through the e-mail you provided at the Yahoo! Groups page.

also, i fixed the link on the Mandolin Project page, so it actually works now. (eventually i'll get the hang of this HTML stuff.)

craig

YEEEHAAAAA!

There's a new recording up! Willard just posted his version of Sally Goodin. No vocals, but you just want to get up and square dance to this one. Great job Willard! I like the multi-track he did on this one. Correct me if I'm wrong Willard, but I believe he did the "chop" track himself. Nice chops.

What do you all think?

Craig

Thanks for putting that up for me Craig. Well boys and girls, its rough compared to the first two posted but its what I could do with the time I had. This is my first attempt at a multitrack recording. I laid down the lead line first, then the chop and then the guitar. I was just playing around with it but thought "What the heck" and sent it to Craig to see what he thought. He posted it. Well, at least there is room to improve...

Is it cheating to use your fingers instead of a pick? I decided to start on the double stops today. They weren't too bad, but I had a delay between hitting strings. So, I tried putting the pick down...I can honestly say this is the only thing that's gone well. *L*

The parts I was having trouble with before I can play if I have a second string for some odd reason. I'm sure it has something to do w/ the way my brain stores information or something. It just makes it easier to remember the pattern...somehow.

Anyway, the question is, is it cheating to not use a pick and play doublestops with two fingers for two strings?

Cheat? How the heck can you cheat playing music? You can cheat at golf.......cheat at cards......cheat at.....can't figure out how to cheat at music. You either play what you like........or change what you are doing and keep right on playing. Now.....you can tell me my playing sucks, that I can believe..........

Willard! I love it! Very cool that this is your first multi-track effort - that's a whole Black Art of it's own. Taking on both a new tune and a new recording technique at the same time deserves some 'extra credit'.

- Benig

Thanks to Willard for the first pure mandolin version, and the first true beginner's version...sounds great!

Still workin' on my version...hopefully i'll have something by the end of the month....

I'll be doin the Bert Casey version, and hopefully i want to spice one break up with my own take on it....(maybe)

I'm havin' trouble matching the tracks up in audacity...when i play back my guitar rythm track
    and record the mando it sounds right on time, but when i play it back after recording its way off...any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by (jds4peace @ Mar. 11 2004, 10:55)
    I'm havin' trouble matching the tracks up in audacity...when i play back my guitar rythm track
    and record the mando it sounds right on time, but when i play it back after recording its way off...any ideas?
    That's normal and discussed in the Audacity manual. Basically, your mandolin playing mathces what you hear through the headphones or speakers when you play. But the transmission and processing is not instananeous and so it goes on the recorded track a few milliseconds after the matching backing track. You can hear that during recording if you have the soundcard set to monitoring: you hear your mandolin playing back through the headphone slightly after you've actually played it. Terribly distracting, and therefore not recommended for actual recording! When you've completed the recording, you have to shift one the tracks manually slightly to match the other. You can do that either by trial-and-error or by putting a synchronisation marker at the beginning (or end) of your recorded track. One way of doing that is to put a few bars of metronome at the beginning of your backing track and to tap along with it when you start your recording. Matching the metronome with your tapping is much easier than matching the two music tracks -- you can do it by looking at the recorded signal rather than having to listen to it.

Martin

thanks for the info...seems like a huge software bug to me though...definitely not intuitive.

we've got another addition! that's 4 now. "Jaded" has her recording up at Mandolin Project! more good stuff! now, i definitely heard some double-stops in this one.

thanks for sharing, Jaded. i'm impressed with you all getting this song up to speed in such a short time.

craig

I remember Jaded saying something in the email announcing the addition to the group, something about a fuzzy recording. I thought it sounded cool like that (though I don't know, or think, Jaded intended the fuzziness). Felt pretty old-timey, over the AM or some such thing Very cool.

" ... seems like a huge software bug to me though...definitely not intuitive. "

FWIW: It's definately NOT a bug - or even and undocumented feature - the annoyance is termed 'latency'. And as a term it refers to the amout of time - in milliseconds - that it takes a soundcard to process and convert an analog input into digital bits.

To be clear latency is something that comes from your soundcard - not from the software. Any mutlitrack software will have to account for the latency in some fashion, but high-end packages allow the user to set a global bias to the input signal - effectively making latency invisible to the user.

The comment about recording a lead in measure with a click is good advice, as it is much easier to line up the clear peaks of a 'click' than doing it just by ear.

Also, by using the click method, you can take note of the amount of time you had to shift the second track, and write it down for future reference - since latency is a fixed constant for any system.

I did wonder a little if folks weren't going to 'butt heads' with this unforunate fact of reality. Sorry it's not more intuitive.

- Benig

Jaded,
    What attitude! There's just something really cool about the feel you've got going on ... static and all. Nice job! That's got mojo.

- Benig