Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Default Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

I'm still around, just haven't been posting much to the forum over the last year or so.

The pandemic certainly made the decision easier but the pick samplers actually went on hiatus because everyone who wanted to check them out had already done so, often both samplers and more than once. I had been flogging this post on the regular looking for volunteers but no one wanted them so I figured it would be best to let the memory of them fade until it was time to relaunch.

I'd already been planning a new sampler post to start gathering a recipient list for just after the beginning of the year, but it may be time to do so now considering these recent comments. I'll get them out for photos and inventory today so we can start a conversation about their next journeys. It's a lot of work being an international travel agent for two huge collections of picks, keeping them briskly moving from picker to picker and going on the hunt when one goes missing, which happened more often than you'd think. I'll need some assistance once things really start rolling, and if the last time is any indication it gets a little crazy with them crisscrossing the globe.

Edit for some hype pics:

Sampler #1 in the white envelope, #2 in brown. Both unopened since I last received them on Sept 25th and 27th of 2019, respectively.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221227_090615.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	531.2 KB 
ID:	205046

In case y'all had forgotten there are a LOT of picks in these things, with I believe around 100 unique picks in each and many duplicates. Offers to add to the collection are appreciated, but good luck donating a pick that is not already included!

Name:	20221227_091315.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	587.1 KB 
ID:	205047

C. ~/:/~
    Last edited by Chris Daniels; Dec-27-2022 at 9:30am.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Hi Chris. If the pick sampler is starting again, please add me to the list. I played through one of the samplers several years ago, and found it to be a great tool to learn what I liked and didn’t like with a giant selection of picks.

For me, I discovered that the Wegen Dipper 1.4 was and still is my favorite. That said, I am happy to run over some again, and maybe discover something new.

Thanks, Bill

Thank you for organizing this Chris. I imagine it gets to be a bit of a headache. I would certainly like to participate, which is why I bumped the thread. I never got a chance previously.
    2004 Gibson F5 Alan Bibey Signature Series
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A
    NoName "finish it yourself" Ebay beater F

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I may have been partially responsible for the resurgence of interest in the pick sampler. It was such a big player in my deciding what I liked without having to buy a bazillion picks. It let me try a Blue Chip WAY back when it first started and was a deciding factor in my buying my first BC, which is why I mentioned it in the BC post. I do hope it starts up again because it was SO beneficial to me and know it could help others try a lot of stuff they otherwise might not get access to.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

I have the sampler before, but now I have two different instruments. I'd definitely like to be put on a list for a sampler. You are doing us all a great service - many thanks.

I mentioned my interest earlier in the thread, but will reiterate, in case it is helpful
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

I’d love to participate in the traveling sampler party too. I’m a long time guitarist but new to mandolin and trying to find the right pick.

Same with me. I added my name to the list a few years back, but…….

I’m still interested.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I think everyone who has benefited can agree that Chris did a great job of monitoring the pick samplers … for awhile. Chris hasn’t logged back on since December 27 of last year. In the post he made here on that date, he stated that he was having trouble finding someone to “take up the mantle” - to assume his position - as guardian of the samplers.

Therefore, I think it is worth noting, that when Caleb started this thing so long ago, there were no guardians of the sampler. A person who requested the sampler in this thread would have her/his name added to the list, which we kept updated as a group. And the person who had the sampler would contact or be contacted by the next in line, and they’d simply ship it on. The honor system with no babysitter.

I would hope that we can get back to that since Chris can’t find a volunteer to take over his job. As I noted, there was no job for a couple of years until Chris volunteered of his own suggestion to do this.

So, whaddya say Chris? Can we go back to the old ways? No system is perfect, as the current coma clearly illustrates.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I’ve sent Chris an email and offered to take up the restart of pick sampler. Hopefully we can get this going again soon. It was a great resource to me when I started on mandolin.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Cool. If there's anything I can do to help let me know.
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A

Doesn't practice enough

What a cool idea - commenting to follow, since I'd love the sampler to make a stop here too!

Thanks to all for the patience I forced upon you, but at least the interminable wait is over! Both pick samplers have been checked and are ready to ship out. I've seen a dozen attempts by various pickers at organizing them which never lasts, but I have kept some of the last groupings so each package will have 4 bags of picks: 1. premium, 2 & 3. brands (e.g. all Dunlops) and/or interesting picks, 4. everything else.

I didn't do a full inventory but #1 looks to have all of the important picks it should, including the 'Mandolin Cafe' Blue Chip CT55 (the Cafe TPR 50 has been missing for years) and the original white Wegen from Caleb seen bagged with the Gravity pick.

Name:	Sampler1_All.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	456.1 KB 
ID:	206104

Name:	Sampler1_Ready.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	384.6 KB 
ID:	206105

Sampler #2 has many of the same good options as #1, including the requisite Blue Chip CT55, but also enough unique picks to be appealing.

Name:	Sampler2_All.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	400.6 KB 
ID:	206106

Name:	Sampler2_Ready.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	477.0 KB 
ID:	206107

Here is the request list from during the hiatus, starting with Stopstop's post #868. Sampler #1 is going to Stopstop as soon as I get an address but I'll have to see who of those next in line are still around to reply before sending out #2, probably to Zissou Intern. Once both have shipped, I will remove myself from involvement.

Stopstop
    bruce.nali
    John Garcia
    NotReadyForProd
    Zissou Intern
    mandognome
    JonDoug
    Rdeane
    Denis Kearns
    Sue Rieter
    NDO
    Southern Man
    Parmejohn
    Dan in NH
    Milli857
    snakehead_a2z
    Markb98
    Mark Gunter
    Melt_In_The_Sun

Mark, as far as babysitting these things while they travel I would like to post a quote from you from 2016 when you were trying to coordinate just the original sampler:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    This was working too good to be true, Zxxx

FYI, I only got involved because it seemed like neither of the by-then two samplers would make it to me before being lost. At times, one or the other went missing for weeks despite my shepherding and I have no doubt someone in the above list will need to do the same at some point.

Lastly, here's a copy/paste of the latest "community-established house rules" I compiled, but they do need updating:

Requests to be added to a recipient list can be made in this thread (preferred) or via PM to me. No need to post address.

Brand new user accounts are requested to continue posting to the Cafe to establish credibility in being a recipient when their time comes. MIA accounts are subject to being skipped.

I will try to honor requests for a specific sampler list but otherwise one will be assigned. They are both great so you won't be missing out either way!

You will be contacted by current holder sometime before sampler is shipped to you to confirm address and phone number. These are needed for contact info to hunt down a sampler in case it goes missing.

Please try to keep your sampler no longer than 2 to 3 weeks.

Please do not remove a pick from the sampler. If you like it, buy one.

Adding new picks in encouraged.

Current holder will contact next in line for address and phone number sometime after they receive the sampler.

Holder will confirm recipient address via phone call/text (preferred) or PM before shipping sampler.

Holder will notify recipient when sampler had been shipped. Please provide tracking if available.

New recipient should post in this thread when they receive the sampler.

It may seem like a lot of nit picky rules but these samplers are tremendous and unprecedented resources built by the Mandolin Cafe forum community. For the cost of postage (usually $4 to $8) you can experience hundreds of dollars worth of picks, many you would never have the chance to try, and we want to make sure they continue to be passed around.

Cheers and pick on, all you lovely mandolinists!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris Daniels For This Useful Post:

Thanks for organizing this and getting it rolling. And keeping the picks for so long!

Yahoo!!!
    I’ve settled on Wegens for my daily drivers so far… can’t wait to see if they get dethroned!

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I only posted to offer to donate picks if we had to rebuild from the ground up. You can remove my name from the list of interested parties.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

I'd love to be added to the list to try them out!

Quote Originally Posted by Markb98 View Post
    Thanks for organizing this and getting it rolling. And keeping the picks for so long!
    Nah, I just kept the lights on a while longer so a few more folks could have some fun. The true thanks goes to Caleb (the patron saint of mandolin picks) and the generous lot who built both samplers from nothing. And let's not forget the lost pick sampler from the before times that was the inspiration for this whole shebang. I read somewhere that the voices of the angels could be heard with those picks.

Anyway, sampler number #1 ships to Stopstop in the morning. I have a feeling #2 will be first come, first serve.

C ~/:/~

I'm quite interested and would appreciate being added to the list!
    Thank you for keeping this great opportunity moving!

flyfishermandolinist

Could I kindly re-up my request as well? Such a cool and generous thing, thanks to those of you who initiated, contributed, and keep the ball rolling.

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

Amazing to see that this is still rolling on. I arranged the Blue Chip picks early on. I sent Blue Chip and email and asked if they would do a "BOGO" and they gladly agreed. I bought and paid for one of each (CT55 and TPR - my favorite) and they donated the Cafe engraved ones. Maybe someone could pay it forward and ask again to put those in, since they have become the "go to" pick for many. That being said, the Dunlop Primetone small triangles are a great substitute that won't give you a stomach ache, if you drop it through the boards on a deck. (That may or may not have happened to me 20 times at our camp!) Have a great day all!

Doug

I just looked back through the thread. Blue Chip donated those picks 6 1/2 years ago. Proud to be a small part of a community that can keep something like this going for such a long period of time. Good on ya!
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

Good news! The internationally famous MC Pick Sampler #1 is out for delivery this afternoon to Stopstop.

For the second sampler, I had reached out to the next five names in the list but have only heard back from NotReadyForProd so once I get an address Sampler #2 will be back in the world.

Both Stopstop and NotReadyForProd will need assistance in getting shipping and contact info for whoever ends up being the actual next in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky But Funky View Post
    Amazing to see that this is still rolling on. I arranged the Blue Chip picks early on. I sent Blue Chip and email and asked if they would do a "BOGO" and they gladly agreed. I bought and paid for one of each (CT55 and TPR - my favorite) and they donated the Cafe engraved ones...<snip>

I just looked back through the thread. Blue Chip donated those picks 6 1/2 years ago. Proud to be a small part of a community that can keep something like this going for such a long period of time. Good on ya!
    This is super-cool info Doug! I sincerely believe your contribution is the reason the samplers are still going because seemingly everybody wants to check out a Blue Chip without spending $30! Luckily the 'Mandolin Cafe' engraved BC CT55 (easily the most popular pick of the whole lot) is still in sampler #1, but the stolen TPR 50 is definitely missed.

24. The following members say thank you to Chris Daniels for this post:

Caleb 

I'm interested - just got my NF Model M and need to go through The Process, so please add me to the list.

I have a couple Wegens, Golden Gates and PrimeTones to add if they're not already in there.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Daniels View Post
    ... the stolen TPR 50 is definitely missed.
    That's pretty lousy, to steal something like that. I just can't fathom that kind of dishonesty. Could a person really play music with a stolen donated community pick and feel okay about it?
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Nothing on my porch yet, but I'm waiting with bated breath. If I am not mistaken, the list of recipients after me & Notreadyforprod looks like this :bruce.nali

John Garcia
    Zissou Intern
    mandognome
    JonDoug
    Rdeane
    Denis Kearns
    Sue Rieter
    NDO
    Southern Man
    Parmejohn
    *not* Dan in NH (asked to be removed post 916)
    Milli857
    snakehead_a2z
    Markb98
    Mark Gunter
    Melt_In_The_Sun
    Lucy Lindblom
    StringMeAlong
    Kevin Winn

I assume it's good form to attempt to contact the unresponsive parties from post 922 again. Perhaps If I do not hear back from them I should bump them off of the list? Not sure if there is a forum/pick sampler approved way to deal with ghosting.
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A