Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456728 ... LastLast

Thread: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Default Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

I have lots of picks , which i use different types all the time . This week i have been sticking with my wegen bluegrass, i keep going back to it. I need to go thru my collection to see what might be good for the sample pack
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I have an old Altoids tin that I keep in my case that serves as my pick box. Usually my little 3-year-old boy will hear me playing and come into the room and get the Altoids tin and bring it to me. Sometimes he'll choose a pick from it and hand it to me. Yesterday I ended up with a red .58mm Dunlop with the gator head on it. I played with it for a couple hours and was very surprised how much I liked it. Then I switched to a V-Pick and couldn't get over how much CLICK was there and how distracting it was. It caused me to rethink the whole thick pick thing. No doubt they give a warmer and fatter tone, but I realized yesterday that the high jangly sounds one gets from a thinner pick was one of the things that drew me to the sound of a mandolin in the first place.

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    So CBF, did I you get the sampler?
    First impressions?
    Timbofood, Yes the sampler must have arrived on Saturday. We went to our camp this weekend, so I just saw that it arrived last night. I will "sample" the pick sampler and throw in a few of my own to add to the mix. I saw an ad for for picks called Chicken Picks since this thread was initiated. I asked the owner if he would be willing to donate a few picks to the sampler via email and he agreed to do so! I will be purchasing a couple as a sign of appreciation as well (in addition to being truly interested in how they will sound). Maybe take a minute and check out their site for being supportive of our effort here. So, I will be holding on to the sampler at least long enough for those to arrive. I will keep everyone posted.

Doug
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

Chunky,
    Glad they arrived, were any still in their slots? I thought about that as I dropped it in the box..."did all those things just becomes a stew in the envelope?" Anyway, happy to hear they arrived. Hope you had a good holiday get away!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Here is a list I have compiled for the thread through post #54:

1. Caleb (thread starter)
    2. Timbofood
    3. Chunky But Funky
    =====================
    4. Paul Busman
    5. MandoBassman
    6. Gandalfa
    7. Objectsession
    8. darrylicshon

I will send the pick sampler to Paul when I am done with it. If any other of the posters would like to receive the sampler, please state it plainly in a post! It seems like it will be fun as it grows.

Doug
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

6. The following members say thank you to Chunky But Funky for this post:

Thanks for compiling that list Doug. I thought I was next after Paul but it to see that confirmed. When the picks get to Paul, I will send him my address. Looking forward to trying the Chickin Pick. I'd read about them some time back but never heard much from any users.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

So Chunky, how did you like the samples? It's been a while and I thought i would give this a bump!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Hey Timbofood,

I just received the donated Chicken Picks today. I was going to give them a run through tonight and tomorrow, snap some pics of the picks and send them on to Paul on Monday. The pic sampler pack is growing. I am adding the following:

Wegen TF140 (not pictured - oops!)
    Dunlop Primetone Triangular
    Dunlop Primetone Semi-Round (Sculpted)
    Dunlop Primetone Standard (Sculpted)
    D'Andrea Pro Plec
    Acoustic Music Works "Pro Plec"
    Dunlop 207
    Dunlop Big Stubby Triangle
    Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0
    Dunlop Big Stubby 1.0
    Dawg
    Golden Gate
    Chickenpicks "Light" 2.2 (Donated by Chickenpicks)
    Chickenpicks Bermuda III 2.1 (Donated by Chickenpicks)

Further thoughts later!

Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Traveling Picks.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	138593  
    Last edited by Chunky But Funky; Sep-19-2015 at 7:00pm.

10. The following members say thank you to Chunky But Funky for this post:

Caleb 

This is going to need a suitcase in short order if folks add like you did! That will fill my little "folder" past capacity! I may want back on the list, the chicken picks sound a bit thick for me but, they are still not as thick as the old 3/16 plexiglass one I made way back when.
    I hope everyone has fun with this, thanks for starting it Caleb!
    Timothy F. Lewis

12. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Caleb 

Hey All,

I haven't forgotten about you! Timbofood, not a suitcase, but I guess my less than $2 temporary solution for the growing pick sampler pack. I will keep the folder with the case for the growing list and mail it in a bubble envelope. (I hope that doesn't make the postage skyrocket) It will lose value if it's not original! Forgot I had open house last night so... Still coming your way Paul. Eventually, we could probably put each person's additions in their own square to save space. Just a thought.

Everyone loves stickers on a case. I still had the old school Mandolin Cafe sticker. Add as you see fit as it moves about the country. Looking forward to hearing about it's travels.

Doug

Name:	Traveling Picks 3.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	138746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Traveling Picks 2.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	138747  

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chunky But Funky For This Useful Post:

Wow! Great collection of picks.

Ok Caleb, do we get back on the list or just watch? Must admit watching it grow is interesting.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Ok Caleb, do we get back on the list or just watch? Must admit watching it grow is interesting.
    I'm just going to watch. I've been playing with a .58mm gatorhead Dunlop of late (pick blasphemy, I know).

The collection has already surpassed my expectations for the venture. It'll be fun to see it progress.

Hey guys and gals!

As I have been shopping for some quality picks myself I would love to be added to the list. Although I can't add anything to it currently, I would love to give these a try.

-Matt

Traveling Pick Sampler forwarded to Paul yesterday. I put it in a bubble envelope from the USPS. It cost $3 to ship. The envelope can be re-used, but I'm sure at some point someone will need to pony up $2 for a new one. If anyone has any better shipping options / suggestions the case can go by the wayside. Have fun!

Doug

Hey All,

Good News! I just contacted Allen Goins @ BlueChip and he has agreed to donate a CT 55 to the traveler pack with my purchase of a couple. I will have it engraved Mandolin Cafe Sampler (or similar that fits) and send it along to whoever has the pack when I receive them from BlueChip. It's getting interesting anyway.

Doug

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chunky But Funky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky But Funky View Post
    Hey All,

Good News! I just contacted Allen Goins @ BlueChip and he has agreed to donate a CT 55 to the traveler pack with my purchase of a couple. I will have it engraved Mandolin Cafe Sampler (or similar that fits) and send it along to whoever has the pack when I receive them from BlueChip. It's getting interesting anyway.

Doug
    VERY cool. Way to go, BC!

Strong work! Good for you Chunky! I think I may want back one the list in another month, I will think about that. Always wanted to try a BC but, too cheap to spring for one, I will admit it.
    Timothy F. Lewis

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

That's great of BC but they know they will get some sales from it i've tried alot of picks but not a blue chip
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky But Funky View Post
    Traveling Pick Sampler forwarded to Paul yesterday. I put it in a bubble envelope from the USPS. It cost $3 to ship. The envelope can be re-used, but I'm sure at some point someone will need to pony up $2 for a new one. If anyone has any better shipping options / suggestions the case can go by the wayside. Have fun!

Doug
    Assuming the package was shipped as a USPS First Class Parcel, I think that is probably the cheapest option other than putting it in a non-rigid container instead of a box, which would only save about $1 anyway.

For future senders, make sure you don't try to ship the sampler (in the box) as a regular (non-rigid) First Class envelope. A rigid envelope, which this is, is shipped as a small package. If it is processed as a regular non-rigid envelope, it might be ripped in the sorting machine and then discarded. (I know because, for a recent online order, I received an empty ripped envelope with a letter from USPS stating that.) Probably, when you pay to deliver the sampler, the person at the post office will just process the envelope as a package (and charge accordingly), so that's only an issue if you try to print the shipping label yourself or something.
    My Music
    My Twitter
    ––
    2015 Big Muddy M-2
    Sweet Woods mountain dulcimer

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I'm looking forward to the picks this weekend. Any idea how long it will take to get the BC? I'd really love to try one and see what all the excitement is.
    I work in a hospital OR and I'm on call this weekend which means I have to stick close to home in case I get called in. Hopefully I'll have enough home time to play with these picks. I'll see what I have to add to the tour stock. In addition to my mandolins, I'll try some of the thinner picks on my Irish tenor banjo too.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

The picks arrived yesterday in perfect condition and I had a little time to try them out last night.
    So far at least the Wegens are my favorite, about equal to the Primetones that I already had. Much more testing is necessary.
    The very thinnest picks didn't pull much sound out of either of my acoustic mandolins (Fullerton Gloucester and Breedlove round hole Crossover) but they may work well on my tenor banjo.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Well, BlueChip came through with the arranged donation to the Traveling Pick Sampler. And they threw in a surprise too!

Just received a BlueChip CT55 and TPR50, both engraved with "Mandolin Cafe". Very, very cool. I bought a couple CT55's, but I might have to hold on to the TPR50 for a day before I send them both off to Paul.

If you are reading this thread, or participating in the Pick Sampler, please consider supporting these companies such as BlueChip and Chickenpicks. They literally sent free picks across the country in one case and around the world in the other, to some stranger on a message board who simply asked. It is intended to benefit all of us as a community and I truly hope it helps many of you as you make your gear decisions. This is in no way meant to slight Wegen, Dunlop, ProPlecs or any other manufacturers because they didn't have a chance to donate...we did it for them!

Several people mentioned wanting to try this sampler if some of these picks were involved, well they are beginning to be involved! Get on the list while it's short!

Doug

Name:	BlueChip 2 .jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	139014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlueChip 1 .jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	139015  
    Last edited by Chunky But Funky; Sep-28-2015 at 8:43pm.

29. The following members say thank you to Chunky But Funky for this post:

Caleb 

Now it's getting real interesting. There's a few that I'm looking forward to trying, including the Chickenpick. I believe I'm next on the list and I can't wait.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I'd like on the list please? Chickenpicks and the Wegens look like fun! I have an assortment of V-Picks I've tried that I can donate. I pretty much stick with the CT55 these days, or a Primetone.