Thread: Strap keeps popping off the bottom button!

Default Strap keeps popping off the bottom button!

Perhaps it is just me, but does anyone else have a problem with the strap coming off the bottom button/peg? The end piece is one solid piece, so I can't really change out the peg for one that fits a lock. I have locking peg buttons on every one of my guitars, but I don't think that will work for my mando.

Anyone else deal with this? Any suggestions on ways to keep the stupid thing on the peg?

Thanks!
    D
    Morgan Monroe MMS-8/F
    Ovation Celebrity CC-44E

Default Re: Strap keeps popping off the bottom button!

It looks kind of hokey, but you can use the plastic thingy that comes with a loaf of bread to hold the bag shut. It will provide marginal protection against the strap slipping off.

You can also do a 'safety strap' that's tied from your strap end to the tailpiece itself. This may not keep the strap from coming off the end pin, but it will at least keep your mandolin from falling to the floor by having a backup leash.

I use the orange gaskets that are on the top of a Grolsh beer bottle on all my guitars and mandos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2512_p55511.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	137390

4. The following members say thank you to Chris W. for this post:

mvlh 

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

So you're saying this won't work?... very good simple little product... (but the Grolsch thing is cool if I actually drank lol)
    http://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper%20two.htm
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

My favorite solution is the Hans Brentrup solution. Elegant, cheap, and even if the pin falls out the mandolin stays connected to the strap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HansMethod.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	137392  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Thanks for the quick responses.

The tap string gizmo would probably work, but I like the Brentrup solution. Thanks, Mike. I'll grab a set of leather laces and add the 'safety chain'.

D
    Morgan Monroe MMS-8/F
    Ovation Celebrity CC-44E

9. The following members say thank you to DamonIRB for this post:

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    My favorite solution is the Hans Brentrup solution. Elegant, cheap, and even if the pin falls out the mandolin stays connected to the strap.
    omg - no way - that's MUCH too EASY.

Can we get detailed install instrux also.??

THANKS, eh.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

11. The following members say thank you to MysTiK PiKn for this post:

I use a o-ring I got at the plumbing store for a quarter.

my whole peg has fallen out on mine. peg, strap and all and it's a brand new instrument too!

Just like the Grolsh bottle rings, but from Fender and no beer involved: Fender strap locks. You get four, two red and two black. The black one has been on my Bulldog since I put the Lakota strap on a couple of years back.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Bread tie has worked for years...It's free.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Yes, the bread thing works but if the peg pops out there is no safety catch.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I've never had a strap peg pop out, but my solution to keeping the strap on the peg is pretty simple. Cut a short piece of leather to imitate a strap end and put it outside the strap in the same way as people here suggest using a grommet or bread tag or beertop rubber thing. It's a lot less ugly, and very easy to attach or remove if, like me, you quite often find yourself putting on or removing straps to get instruments into cases. I reverse the direction of the cut slot to that of the slot on the strap. It never, ever comes off alone. It is also virtually free, so a few spares can live in cases or plectrum pockets.

Name:	leather strap lock.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	137405

18. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

mvlh 

Quote Originally Posted by A#Bb View Post
    my whole peg has fallen out on mine. peg, strap and all and it's a brand new instrument too!
    The peg is friction fit - so it can be removed easily if needed. It happened to me also = once. Now, I just nudge it inwards whether it needs it or not. I tried to pull it out recently - just a little tug - but it won't come out. If I pull harder, it will come out.

You could also put a trace of white glue on it - just a trace. I you install a pickup jack/peg, you want to be able to remove it. DONT use CA glue, superglue, etc. - those are "permanent".

Just give it a nudge - forever.

= Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

20. The following members say thank you to MysTiK PiKn for this post:

A#Bb 

Quote Originally Posted by MysTiK PiKn View Post
    The peg is friction fit - so it can be removed easily if needed. It happened to me also = once. Now, I just nudge it inwards whether it needs it or not. I tried to pull it out recently - just a little tug - but it won't come out. If I pull harder, it will come out.

You could also put a trace of white glue on it - just a trace. I you install a pickup jack/peg, you want to be able to remove it. DONT use CA glue, superglue, etc. - those are "permanent".

Just give it a nudge - forever.
    The end piece is one solid piece, with the peg built in. The whole thing is attached with 3 screws; the peg isn't a separate piece that screws into the body through the end piece. If the thing falls off, I'm in serious trouble...
    Morgan Monroe MMS-8/F
    Ovation Celebrity CC-44E

Umm, I was addressing A#Bb's little dilemma.

If your rig is all one piece, then to stop the strap release, you have 2 choices. Replace the hardware, or, get a new strap that will cling to the existing hardware, and minimize detaching the new strap. If the button hole in the strap is add/removed all the time, it gets softer, more willing to come off. Basicallly, the button hole is softened or WORN. (?). Many straps are quite stiff when new.

Not sure what else to offer. Perhaps a pix of what you have? But something has to change, it seems - or simply follow the many safeguard suggestions here, to prevent crash-on-floor syndrome. messy.

It's easy to post a pix. Is it electric pickup setup? More info more results.?? That's all I got.

Sew across the slit in the strap hole to tighten it up ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

when this is an issue, I have used the 'brentrup lash', but , imho, its cumbersome if you remove your strap after playing, as I do, (for fear of finish reaction). I monkeyed with an easy way and never discovered one. I suppose one could rig something. this is the best insurance.

I also have used the hardware hard rubber washer. It works but is not elegant. and theres a trade off between being soft enough to easily place (and come off under pressure) and being tough and tight enough to actually hang a dangling mandolin. I dont use mine , a lovely salmon red orange o ring very much anymore.

anything is worth not having the mando hit the ground.
    while using decent straps, one homemade, simply, I never let the mando simply hang, being neck heavy.
    short of strap locks, I don't trust straps 100%.

as for securing the pin with white glue....not so much. id suggest a wedge, like a bit of paper , wood sliver, or, a contact cement which will let go with enough pull.I like quick grip, and a pin heads worth will do the trick, provided the pull is always perpendicular to the pin, and not actually outward.

I see a possible product here, one that would essentially be an adjustable or racheted o ring/flange to clamp onto an endpin's existing flange with no damage and easy to take on and off.

I think the best is to have stiff leather that holds the pin, or, a thong or cord, which not only sits well into the groove, but has a bolo/ slide that keeps it tight and closed in the groove.

I've used both the methods posted by Mike and mandroid. If it's a strap I want to keep on, and the hole is too big, I've stitched it up a bit. Works fine. For the "Brentrup" method, if a leather lace is too cumbersome, I've used thin but very strong leather working thread, used to sew cases and horse tack. Just as hard to break as a leather strip, but takes up less space. I've had an endpin pop out, and even though I caught my mandolin before it crashed (both times), it made my heart pound pretty good. Never had my tailpiece come loose. The other methods described here are good fixes, but a little less dependable. I've popped strap locks, gaskets, bread keepers and other gizmos off my strap button, and some of these could cause more "pull" on a friction-fit strap button in the first place, just by adding thickness between the button end and the mandolin/tailpiece base. The OP's one piece setup might work fine with one of these "holders," mine are all the friction type, so it's a coat of clear nail polish on the pin for "stick," and a safety backup strap for me. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by DamonIRB View Post
    Perhaps it is just me, but does anyone else have a problem with the strap coming off the bottom button/peg? The end piece is one solid piece, so I can't really change out the peg for one that fits a lock. I have locking peg buttons on every one of my guitars, but I don't think that will work for my mando.

Anyone else deal with this? Any suggestions on ways to keep the stupid thing on the peg?

Thanks!
    D
    tie whatever around the button on top of the strap AND THEN up under the tailpiece....strap won't come off and the button wont fall either even it it manages to work its way out
    Blessings from the Smoky Mountains

2017 Northfield Big Mon Engelman top
    1998 Martin HD28VR
    2001 Taylor 514CE
    2018 Blueridge BR240A
    50's Conrad baritone uke - was mom's
    2 tenor ukes Leolani and Kala

If you have a thinner strap tha has multiple holes, and don't use the hole on the end, double it up! I just purchased a couple of straps that initially I liked a lot, but found they tended to stretch a bit more than I would have liked. This solved my problem, and it hasn't popped off since.

Name:	WP_20150822_18_27_57_Pro.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	137505
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

I had an issue with the button coming loose so I just use a soft washer between the screw head and body. works for me.

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MysTiK PiKn View Post
    The peg is friction fit - so it can be removed easily if needed.
    Nice theory there, but I've had to drill out 2 of them when installing the James tailpieces. Just one little twist with padded jaw pliers and snap! The pins were installed at the factory. Of course, I also snapped 2 ea, 1/2" drive ratchet extensions when torqueing some airframe bolts once, so maybe I'm just too heavy handed. Word to the wise: Have a spare end pin around before you undertake removing end pins. Now I keep about 3 spare end pins stashed away in my "odds and ends" box. The white, ivoroid ones from Stew Mac give a nice little touch.
    Last edited by Emmett Marshall; Aug-22-2015 at 10:29pm.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE