Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any different looking mandolins?

Default Are there any different looking mandolins?

Are there any different looking mandolins? I'm not actually looking for one at the moment but I'd like to look at them if anyone has any links.

I'm not talking about mandolins that look like a telecaster or anything that different.

In general I like the F hole cutout but the A models are too plain and the F models are a bit too ornate.

I also think that the burst look is overdone. I like binding but glaringly white binding is over done as well.

As a starting point, does anyone have a link to a non-burst lighter finished F model (where you can see some wood grain) where the headstock is also as light as the body?

Are there any styles more ornate than the A model but less so (or different) than the F model?

I would think that the custom makers wouldn't all (mostly) be copying the F5 (or whatever it's called). The same with the production models. Must they all be exactly the same?

Here's one that at least isn't a burst and isn't just a dark stain.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28_1.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	137546

Here is one that looks good but is A style with oval opening.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...6&d=1307903356
    Last edited by Seattle; Aug-24-2015 at 12:32am.

Default Re: Are they any different looking mandolins?

Pretty vague question. The most helpful thing I can say is that I don't think you've looked at very many mandolins.

Try the Eye Candy section on this site:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/archives/builders/f.html
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Jacobson and Sorensen mandolins spring to mind.

5. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Have you looked at two point mandolins? There many around, here's an example from from Rolfe Gerhard, Phoenix mandolins.

Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

7. The following members say thank you to trevor for this post:

I'm not actually in the market for one. I understand that a custom builder would probably (for a price) build anything I can imagine.

So, I guess I'm looking for a traditional F5 shape but with a finish that is more to my liking. I don't like the burst and although a richly finished solid stain looks OK I'd really like to see more of the wood and the grain.

The link that I posted (not the picture in the post) has nice looking wood, grain, no burst, and nice colored wood (or stain) binding.

The problem with an all dark stain is that you don't see anything. The problem with the burst is that they are just not attractive to me. I also don't like a plain wood (no stain) look and when you have a lighter stain body it looks odd (to me) to have a dark fretboard and a dark headstock.

Bright white plastic binding on a dark body isn't that "natural" looking either.

Most of these finishes are just because it's always been done that way. I looked at the "Eye Candy" section but they all look alike. They almost all have a burst finish with a dark headstock and white plastic binding.

I looked at one of the A style oval hole Jacobsons and the wood and joints and neck work look good. I'd like to see something like that in a F model, f opening style mandolin. Especially in the F model they are all virtually the same finish/look.

There was a thread on here recently where a guy took his old $49 Rogue mandolin and stripped off the heavy varnish, applied a lighter stain, replaced the nut and bridge and did a bit of custom work to the headstock and he now has a much more natural looking mandolin than most of what is out there.

It isn't expensive to do what I want it's just that everyone seems to do go for the exact same look.

Unless I misunderstood that Rogue thread, that was the result of some very intricate painting - not an actual natural look (since I don't think Rogues are quite natural looking underneath). It looked good because it was actually a work of art. Not saying that what you do want would necessarily be expensive, but it wouldn't be that cheap.

Looking at, for example, the Weber website, I don't see how they can be described as all looking the same. Not fitting all your criteria, but not just trying to look like every other mandolin (as far as coloration rather than shape).
    My Music
    My Twitter
    ––
    2015 Big Muddy M-2
    Sweet Woods mountain dulcimer

Blog Entries

Check out some of Robb Brophy's stunning work.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jenner View Post
    Check out some of Robb Brophy's stunning work.
    I agree that most custom builders do stunning work but my concerns still stand. In the case of Elkhorn the fairly natural looking body for one of the models still has an ebony fretboard and a dark headstock rather than something that blends in more with the body.

Quote Originally Posted by objectsession View Post
    Unless I misunderstood that Rogue thread, that was the result of some very intricate painting - not an actual natural look (since I don't think Rogues are quite natural looking underneath). It looked good because it was actually a work of art. Not saying that what you do want would necessarily be expensive, but it wouldn't be that cheap.

Looking at, for example, the Weber website, I don't see how they can be described as all looking the same. Not fitting all your criteria, but not just trying to look like every other mandolin (as far as coloration rather than shape).
    I just checked out the Weber page. There are one or two models that appear to not be burst but even those still have black headstocks (and fretboards).

Regarding the Rogue "makeover". I'm sure it wasn't easy but much of what he did was to just get rid of what didn't need to be on there in the first place (heavy varnish). It didn't cost much to make a fake truss rod cover with a mercury dime in it. It cost a little to put a better nut and bridge but most of what he did wouldn't be extra work or cost at a factory production level.

The biggest reason that everyone likes that Rogue (including me) is that it looks more "natural" and not like every other heavily lacquered, burst mandolin out there and it now has some character.

Regarding the Webers, look at this page...http://webermandolins.com/instrument...ne-ht-mandolin

Look at the back view. Why is there a little black where the neck goes into the body and why is the headstock black?

Without trying to copy what everyone else is doing I don't think it would occur to anyone to do that as it doesn't look good at all. You have a natural body, a natural neck except for a little black and then you decide to suddenly paint the headstock solid black?

Anything like this? Still a burst, but with tints of the same color red, black binding and less ornate than the classic F-style shape.

Name:	F4front.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	137550

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    Without trying to copy what everyone else is doing I don't think it would occur to anyone to do that as it doesn't look good at all. You have a natural body, a natural neck except for a little black and then you decide to suddenly paint the headstock solid black?
    Looks good to me ... makes for some contrast and sets the head off from the body. Bovier did the same with the "Z," and the front of the head is also black. The contrast with the blondish body highlights each part, like cuffs on a coat:

Name:	mando-bovierZback-sm.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	137554

http://jbovier.net/2013-2/the-z/

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

17. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

I thought of posting my Old Wave Melon before, its not what the OP is looking for but it is different, and it sounds great.

Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to trevor For This Useful Post:

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

I love that watermelon! Very cool.
    I think the OP has similar tastes to mine, in that I'm not a fan of shiny, heavy lacquer or sunbursts. I am the one who did the Rogue conversion, but before that I had stripped and refinished a few others; a Michael Kelly Firefly, a Washburn Jethro Burns, and an Eastman 515. They all fit the OP's description except that I left the headstocks dark, as they were. I've included before and after photos below.
    There are builders out there who build them like this from the start, but unfortunately my pocketbook won't allow for purchasing a custom build. Therefore, I'm relegated to stripping and refinishing ones I can buy cheap.
    Good luck to Seattle in his search.

Name:	jethro1.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	137555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet1.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	137556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet15.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	137557Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mk3.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	137558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mkaft22.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	137559Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mkaft16.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	137560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eastmanb46.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	137561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eastmanb42.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	137562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e11.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	137563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eastaft6.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	137564
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

21. The following members say thank you to Steve VandeWater for this post:

http://www.flatbush.dk/Model%20V4.htm
    The Flatbush V4 has a little different shape and a little less 'decoration' than the F. This one and mine are the sunburst but I imagine any custom builder could make any finish you would want (for a price).
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Blog Entries

Take a look at the Campanella mandolins. I think you will like the look.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Cohen's have a very unique look and are beautiful mandolins.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

I agree that most custom builders do stunning work but my concerns still stand. In the case of Elkhorn the fairly natural looking body for one of the models still has an ebony fretboard and a dark headstock rather than something that blends in more with the body.
    Are there any different looking mandolins? I'm not actually looking for one at the moment but I'd like to look at them if anyone has any links.

I'm not talking about mandolins that look like a telecaster or anything that different.

In general I like the F hole cutout but the A models are too plain and the F models are a bit too ornate.

I also think that the burst look is overdone. I like binding but glaringly white binding is over done as well.

As a starting point, does anyone have a link to a non-burst lighter finished F model (where you can see some wood grain) where the headstock is also as light as the body?

Are there any styles more ornate than the A model but less so (or different) than the F model?

I would think that the custom makers wouldn't all (mostly) be copying the F5 (or whatever it's called). The same with the production models. Must they all be exactly the same?

Here's one that at least isn't a burst and isn't just a dark stain.

Name:	28_1.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	137546

Here is one that looks good but is A style with oval opening.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...6&d=1307903356
    I'm not actually in the market for one. I understand that a custom builder would probably (for a price) build anything I can imagine.

So, I guess I'm looking for a traditional F5 shape but with a finish that is more to my liking. I don't like the burst and although a richly finished solid stain looks OK I'd really like to see more of the wood and the grain.

The link that I posted (not the picture in the post) has nice looking wood, grain, no burst, and nice colored wood (or stain) binding.

The problem with an all dark stain is that you don't see anything. The problem with the burst is that they are just not attractive to me. I also don't like a plain wood (no stain) look and when you have a lighter stain body it looks odd (to me) to have a dark fretboard and a dark headstock.

Bright white plastic binding on a dark body isn't that "natural" looking either.

Most of these finishes are just because it's always been done that way. I looked at the "Eye Candy" section but they all look alike. They almost all have a burst finish with a dark headstock and white plastic binding.

I looked at one of the A style oval hole Jacobsons and the wood and joints and neck work look good. I'd like to see something like that in a F model, f opening style mandolin. Especially in the F model they are all virtually the same finish/look.

There was a thread on here recently where a guy took his old $49 Rogue mandolin and stripped off the heavy varnish, applied a lighter stain, replaced the nut and bridge and did a bit of custom work to the headstock and he now has a much more natural looking mandolin than most of what is out there.

It isn't expensive to do what I want it's just that everyone seems to do go for the exact same look.
    Just curious, Seattle...
    How's your love life??

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Take a look at the Campanella mandolins. I think you will like the look.
    The one he linked to in the opening of the thread is a Campanella. No binding, it has a violin edge. No burst. Beautifully crafted and finished instrument.
    If you don't like bursts look at these two threads on blonde mandolins. Thread One and Thread Two.
    As for the dark fretboard that is because the BEST fretboard wood available is ebony. It is hard, wears very well and holds frets well. Some of the rosewoods work well to, but they are not as wear resistant as ebony. Most people think of rosewood boards being on cheaper mandolins. This is not always true, but it is still the perception.
    Dark pegheads are traditional. They may be ebony or a "lesser" wood died to look like ebony.
    You want to talk about an instrument that each looks like the next take a look at the violin family.
    Bill Snyder

Post deleted. Bill made the main point I was making and posted before I did.

29. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Spruce 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    The one he linked to in the opening of the thread is a Campanella. No binding, it has a violin edge. No burst. Beautifully crafted and finished instrument..
    Is it? It is nice looking mandolin, but I would expect more of a bead on the edge and the violin purling.

You want to talk about an instrument that each looks like the next take a look at the violin family.
    My goodness yes. I was just going to say that.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Default Re: Are there any different looking mandolins?

Looked again JeffD and I think you are correct. I don't think that is a Campanella. My mistake but at first glance that is what I thought of.
    It still does not have any binding, just purfling. FWIW it is a Morris.
    Bill Snyder

But but but...

I'm not actually in the market for one.
    Ya know, a good 'ol Strad-O-Lin might fit the bill for Seattle, no?
    This one is a fabulous sounding/playing instrument, and set me back 150 bucks:

Default Re: Are there any different looking mandolins?

the real question is, is there anything less ornate than an A model...