Thread: Mando lace

Default Mando lace

Saw this being advertised on the main page of the café...anyone have experience with it yet??

http://www.lacemusic.com/Lace_Shop/p...prod=MANDOLACE

Default Re: Mando lace

I ordered one. I'm eagerly awaiting it. I think I've been conditioned by Amazon, though... their email reply to my order was "Okay, we usually ship in 3-5 business days". WHAT?!?!? Oh right, Amazon Prime only works on Amazon.

Anyway, I'll report back once I've received it and tried it out.
    "I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate." -- Jethro Burns

"Do the work. Be the goal." -- Anonymous

Weber Yellowstone -- Collings MT -- Kentucky KM1000 -- Big Muddy

Kind of a bold statement " Lace turned to the Mandolin, an instrument with few options when it comes to pickups and amplification."

Obviously they haven't been looking at this forum. I wonder if you need to use emando strings with this, as it is a mag pickup?

Had a Fender Lace sensor built into this 4 string . http://emando.com/images/builders/Biller_small.jpg

the Lace design , I'm thinking, recall being what it is, their design has the magnetic 'poles' surrounding the coils..

Still have the low mass of E strings.. not moving far in the magnetic field ,

because of the Short Scale and Higer tension to reach the pitch, inherent in mandolins..

so it remains to be seen if they have compensated for those facts of Physics ..

rather dreadfully short of showing how it's installed , Only guess is the loop hangs over the strap button . but how the pickup mounts is a puzzle .

maybe if enough people write here* they will add that image ..

* Info@LaceMusic.com

Edit: noted (MC home Page, little picture) it sits right by the bridge ..

Looking rather low and so distant from the actual strings ..
    so We await what it actually installs like and how it functions .

clicking on that picture does not enlarge it ..
    Last edited by mandroid; Aug-29-2015 at 3:37pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Had a Fender Lace sensor built into this 4 string . http://emando.com/images/builders/Biller_small.jpg

the Lace design , I'm thinking, recall being what it is, their design has the magnetic 'poles' surrounding the coils..

Still have the low mass of E strings.. not moving far in the magnetic field ,

because of the Short Scale and Higer tension to reach the pitch, inherent in mandolins..
    Mandroid.... are you saying the lace sensor didn't work that well in an electric mandolin? Even compared to other electric guitar pickups? (these nearly always sound weak on the top e-string to me, even on a guitar). Just curious....

I had the Fender lace sensor (gold version) in hand when I got Greg B make the 4 string pictured

Weak E string signal strength is a recurring issue with electric mandolins .. irregardless of the pickup. *

and my rudimentary grasp of how a magnetic pickup senses the wave form motion of a string vibrating in a magnetic field .

has me guessing the mass , its thin steel , and the high pitch /frequency wave form length is small .

and the short length also reduces the amplitude width ..

Stevens didnt fret past what, the 17th fret and the A&E poles are further towards the mid point than the bridge..

IF i had a do over the pickup would be better perhaps askew the other way ..

Perhaps .. there is a Benefit to a dual channel pickup scheme. Magnetic + a piezo under/in bridge pickup
    Physical vibration going directly into an electric pulse ..

EQ as separate channels so the Bridge signal would be boostend in the frequencies the magnetic pickup is insensitive to .

tried capoing an electric guitar at the 15th fret and see how it changes ?

FWIW I resolved the weak E by restringing it and tuning it CGDA .

Also Roland cuts out writing any Synth patches by frequencies of guitars so cuts out partway up the mandolin E.

perhaps a Piano-Keyboard Synth would cover all 88 notes ..

* with adjustable pole piece screws, run the screw up closer to the E , and further from the stronger output .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Kind of a bold statement " Lace turned to the Mandolin, an instrument with few options when it comes to pickups and amplification."

Obviously they haven't been looking at this forum. I wonder if you need to use emando strings with this, as it is a mag pickup?
    Mandobart: I have J74's on my mandolin and the Mando-Lace seems to be picking them up just fine. There's been another discussion of this pickup including a rep from Lace Music to answer your questions. C'mon over and join us at Mandolin Cafe News at
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pub...s_001745.shtml
    "I yam what I yam"

maybe the steel core wire is good enough since bronze is magnetically inert/invisible.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture