Thread: John Duffey: The Rebel Years 1962-1977

Default John Duffey: The Rebel Years 1962-1977

Just picked this up, classic material from the man in his prime

01. Girl From the North Country (3:45)
    02. The Young Fisherwoman (4:32)
    03. Reason For Being (3:23)
    04. Bringing Mary Home (3:04)
    05. 500 Miles (3:29)
    06. I Haven't Got the Right To Love You (2:38)
    07. Falling Leaves (3:19)
    08. The School House Fire (3:57)
    09. Heaven (3:00)
    10. Some Old Day (2:36)
    11. Silence or Tears (2:42)
    12. Small Exception of Me (3:03)
    13. This Morning At Nine (2:25)
    14. I'll Be There Mary Dear (3:15)
    15. I'm Working On a Road (2:52)

John Duffey's four-octave voice, a perfect high and lonesome tenor, and his innovative mandolin playing (he also designed and built mandolins) made him one of modern bluegrass' most unsung and vital performers during his tenure with the Country Gentlemen and the Seldom Scene, and his death in 1996, just three months after the death of Bill Monroe, effectively ended an era in the music's history and prefigured the progressive but still tradition-based direction of contemporary bluegrass. This solid set collects key album tracks that Duffey recorded with both of these groups for Rebel Records between 1962 and 1977, including fine versions of "Girl from the North Country," "The Young Fisherwoman," "500 Miles," and "I'm Working on a Road," among others, and it makes for a delightful glimpse at Duffey's impressive and dearly missed talent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REBEL1836.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	138090  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: John Duffey: The Rebel Years 1962-1977

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Just picked this up, classic material from the man in his prime

01. Girl From the North Country (3:45)
    02. The Young Fisherwoman (4:32)
    03. Reason For Being (3:23)
    04. Bringing Mary Home (3:04)
    05. 500 Miles (3:29)
    06. I Haven't Got the Right To Love You (2:38)
    07. Falling Leaves (3:19)
    08. The School House Fire (3:57)
    09. Heaven (3:00)
    10. Some Old Day (2:36)
    11. Silence or Tears (2:42)
    12. Small Exception of Me (3:03)
    13. This Morning At Nine (2:25)
    14. I'll Be There Mary Dear (3:15)
    15. I'm Working On a Road (2:52)

John Duffey's four-octave voice, a perfect high and lonesome tenor, and his innovative mandolin playing (he also designed and built mandolins) made him one of modern bluegrass' most unsung and vital performers during his tenure with the Country Gentlemen and the Seldom Scene, and his death in 1996, just three months after the death of Bill Monroe, effectively ended an era in the music's history and prefigured the progressive but still tradition-based direction of contemporary bluegrass. This solid set collects key album tracks that Duffey recorded with both of these groups for Rebel Records between 1962 and 1977, including fine versions of "Girl from the North Country," "The Young Fisherwoman," "500 Miles," and "I'm Working on a Road," among others, and it makes for a delightful glimpse at Duffey's impressive and dearly missed talent.
    I HEAR ya man! There are many mandolin players out there but there was only one John Duffey!! He had a style all his own and thats whats missing with all the speed players of today. I'd much rather listen to him than anyone. To me he was the complete bluegrassy package in playing and singing. From my first recording I heard I was hooked. He was also a skilled instrument repair man and modified his instruments he used.To this day nobody plays and sings his style."Don't think they can" Kinda like Don Reno's banjo style.

Alan, One year I was off work due to having back surgery and a friend came by and he had quite a few of the recordings of the Gents and we sat and taped them all on my reel to reel recorder and I do have this album somewhere and have been meaning to put every thing onto CD`s but for some reason I just can`t seem to find the time to do it...Also had some cliff Waldron recordings that I want to put on CD`s, maybe some day I`ll get to it...Duffey`s "Young Fisherwoman" is one of my favorite songs that I don`t do but will soon add it to my song list, thanks for bringing it up.....No doubt about it this was the best of bluegrass.....IMO

Willie

Nice review Alan!
    I love pretty much everything about Duffey!
    Maybe not his sense of sartorial splendor but, music, hobbies, what a cool guy. I miss him
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett