Thread: Need a nice A-4 with Handel tuners etc?

Default Need a nice A-4 with Handel tuners etc?

Here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-19...item3ab158e5b9

Wish I had the money, but about to go on vacation. I guess my A-2 will have to do.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Default Re: Need a nice A-4 with Handel tuners etc?

I know little to nothing about this, but find them interesting. The one thing that sticks out is he writing on the label looks like it was done yesterday? Most of the labels I see are faded and some nearly unreadable. Would that raise any questions?

Serial number, model etc looks to have been darkened with a soft pencil or even a sharpie pen. The label does look clean and unfaded. Everything about it says 1915 and it seems all original. The case is in excellent condition as well. I would think it is genuine. Does seem to have been played a good bit, at least enough to wear the finish off the bottom-top edge where your arm would ride. Must have been a pretty rough shirt fabric.
    Regardless, the BIN price is pretty darn good.
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

It's the second time around for this listing. No BIN the first time, and it failed to meet the reserve when bidding topped out at $1,531.00. I was very surprised that it didn't sell the first time out - I'd expected it to go higher. There's clearly a very small window between the reserve and the BIN price. Started bidding at $200 last time, $900 this.

Only potential problem is if it was left with strings at full tension for a Loooong time, maybe bending the neck some, but doesn't appear so. Would like some good side-on photos...I would jump on the BIN with better photos and better description...even a short video of it being played. Again, BIN price is pretty darn good for an A-4 with no cracks and separations, Handel tuners and original case. It wouldn't last long in a good shop.
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

If i may ask Capt.E, wouldn't the A4 sound & feel just about the same as the A2 you already have? I know the tuners and extra bling on the headstock are nice but.... I have a '16 plain pumpkin A teens and love the sound, but don't think I could shell out 1.8k for more of the same. Now if it was a snake head....., but those can sound the same too so I'm told - but the neck is thinner which is nice.

Looks like there is separation on lower bout binding starting, or could be the top / side shrinking.

I really don't have any experiences with the A-4. I would expect some difference with the extended and elevated fingerboard, but could likely be very very small. Especially because of differences between individual instruments. My A-2 was made in 1920 and there seems to be something special about them during that period. Believe me, I am going to stick with my A-2, especially as it is improving with play. I expect, though, the buyer of the A-4 will be quite happy with their purchase (when and if it happens).
    What looks like separation on the lower bout is simply the black paint worn away from being played. You can see the wood grain. I don't see any separation.
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

I've said it before, but the teens A-4s (regularly available) strike me as great values in a vintage mandolin. Many with superb varnish finish (I like the red bursts, myself) and of course the inlay and fine materials overall. The mandolin orchestra craze was embraced by many amateurs with enough money to shell out for these high end Gibsons, and little financial need to sell them when their enthusiasm moved elsewhere. Thus many rested in closets for decades until re-emerging with very little play wear. Their 'intrinsic' value - what it would cost to replace with a modern equivalent - still remains higher than their retail price all these years later.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Next to last picture, zoom in & look below the worn spot, on the underside of white binding.

brad klein is right. the sound of these pre war gibsons(first world war) is well above the present cost. some sound better than others but I have never played one that was is decent shape that I didn't love. they are a great value. getting a modern maker to make the equivalent would cost a lot more. I love the woody tone and I have rarely seen one that wasn't easy to set up. that one looks great. I like the red finish--I have one-- which needed several small crack repairs and a set up, but it is a fantastic player, with a loud and beautiful woody tone.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	martin gibsom mandolin 009.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	138318

I was offering this one for sale but the mosre I play it the less I want to part with it. those old gibsons are the best bang for the buck!