Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nervous about selling from Mandolin Cafe Classified

Default Nervous about selling from Mandolin Cafe Classified

So I'm pretty nervous about selling from my classified ad. I've had three people ask. The first guy didn't seem like a scammer, but when I looked up his ip address(from the link in the email provided by mandolin cafe) it said Mt. Laurel NJ, but the guy wants me to ship to Salt Lake Utah, and his email address is xmission, which is an internet company only in Utah. Anybody have any advice for selling from these ads?
    The second guy I messaged back I asked if there was a way he can verify who he is(mando cafe said to do this in the avoiding scams guidelines) but I misspelled a few words, and now that guy probably thinks I'm a scammer! The nerve! J/k :P, but seriously, someone plz help me.

Thks,
    J

Default Re: Nervous about selling from Mandolin Cafe Classified

The IP information for all locations of a very large company will read Mt. Laurel, NJ. That same ISP is all over the country. My suggestion is that you don't sell on the Cafe or anywhere online unless you have a comfort level and you don't have that.

That doesn't mean you aren't cautious by the way. If you have an address you can see who lives at that address. You really can ask for a telephone number and call that person. If they don't want to give you a phone number then I'd be suspicious.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Payment up front by a reliable means like PayPal, certified check, or some such. Don't ship until you have the cash in hand. Best you can do.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Correct. Don't ever ship until you have confirmed funds in your hand.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

If you are really nervous, insist on payment by either US Postal Money Orders or a Bank Wire Transfer directly into your account, in other words avoid Paypal. When eBay first started Paypal didn't exist and this was how business was conducted, unless you had a store and your own credit card terminal. You can cash US Postal Money Orders at the post office. This way you get the money before you send the mandolin. Then you can send it anywhere they want it sent. And you can still offer a 48 hour approval, if you want to.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Sep-08-2015 at 2:42pm.

I also try to avoid PayPal, but it's because nearly every other method is cheaper, which saves me and the customer money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    If you are really nervous, insist on payment by either US Postal Money Orders or a Bank Wire Transfer directly into your account, in other words avoid Paypal. When eBay first started Paypal didn't exist and this was how business was conducted, unless you had a store and your own credit card terminal. You can cash US Postal Money Orders at the post office. This way you get the money before you send the mandolin. Then you can send it anywhere they want it sent. And you can still offer a 48 approval, if you want to.
    The problem with that is the Buyer has no protection. You can walk with his money... There are Sellers on the Café who are one-time sellers and otherwise unknown... It takes a lot of Selling to build a reputation.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Sheehy For This Useful Post:

As long as you get the payment before you ship, you aren't risking anything. It's the buyer that is taking a risk.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrassbboy85 View Post
    So I'm pretty nervous about selling from my classified ad. I've had three people ask. The first guy didn't seem like a scammer, but when I looked up his ip address(from the link in the email provided by mandolin cafe) it said Mt. Laurel NJ, but the guy wants me to ship to Salt Lake Utah, and his email address is xmission, which is an internet company only in Utah. Anybody have any advice for selling from these ads?
    The second guy I messaged back I asked if there was a way he can verify who he is(mando cafe said to do this in the avoiding scams guidelines) but I misspelled a few words, and now that guy probably thinks I'm a scammer! The nerve! J/k :P, but seriously, someone plz help me.

Thks,
    J
    Why don't you contact me privately with these questions. I'm not comfortable with some of the advice I see already. No one replying here except Mike really knows what kind of screening process we have and how things work, and I'm the only one that really manages this. Plus, Dan and I did the programming that controls all of it. Some of the advice I'm seeing here is, sorry to say, simply bad advice.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Absolutely! Scott does a great job of policing the Classifieds and he screens the buyers and the sellers. He also has a specific warning about Money Orders and Western Union transfers...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Why don't you contact me privately with these questions. I'm not comfortable with some of the advice I see already. No one replying here except Mike really knows what kind of screening process we have and how things work, and I'm the only one that really manages this. Plus, Dan and I did the programming that controls all of it. Some of the advice I'm seeing here is, sorry to say, simply bad advice.
    Do I use the contact us form at the bottom of the page? I'm a site newbie and couldn't figure out how to direct message, but I'll keep looking.

***NVM I figured it out***

I've sold several mandolins through the cafe. You can always insist on having an old fashioned phone call where you can get a sense of who you're working with. I also always search the buyer's forum posting history (if they've ever posted). If they've posted a bunch you can get a pretty good idea of who you're dealing with. Just a couple of ideas for you to take or leave!

Marc

Thanks everyone for the help, whether or not it is the "right" advice, I appreciate everyone trying to help.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the IP you checked returned this information:

OrgName: Comcast IP Services, L.L.C.
    OrgId: CISL-5
    Address: 1800 Bishops Gate Blvd
    City: Mount Laurel
    StateProv: NJ
    PostalCode: 08054
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Having sold many things as stated a good old fashioned phone call can go a long way. You can really get a feel for someone.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Just to clarify / edify, Scott....from the suggestions given, what do consider as bad advice?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Sale went through. Hassle free, I am no longer scared of buying or selling on this site. Thanks guys

I have bought and sold several items here with no issues. Just be careful and follow the guidelines.

I only use paypal and only ship to the authorized paypal address. Always make the package signature required with valid ID. This will give the buyer and seller paypal protection from fraud. Read the paypal fine print and you will understand your rights as a seller and buyer. Never use the gift payment for goods or service. You have no protection if you use this feature..

I understand the concern if you are a buyer but a seller? As mentioned, don't ship until you have the funds and there is no risk.

I have another problem though. Can't get in touch with sellers. My messages sent via "reply to ad" button don't invoke any reaction. Silence. What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks

Contact the site owner Scott Tichenor to make sure your messages are going out.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

26. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

vates 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vates View Post
    I have another problem though. Can't get in touch with sellers. My messages sent via "reply to ad" button don't invoke any reaction. Silence. What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks
    We've already discussed this by email.

You're in the Ukraine, not exactly a hotbed of mandolin playing, and people receiving replies can determine that because we embed the IP address with a link in the reply. Most U.S. based sellers are not going to want to deal internationally with a buyer in an eastern European country. Sellers cannot be forced to reply to your inquiry. For me personally, your email address immediately gives me pause since it doesn't match your name and to an English speaker looks like a spam address. Lots of smoke for some people = fire. This is not so in your case but you're not helping the matter. You're welcome to use any kind of email address, but people will also judge you by it. There's one more issue that has me scratching my head a bit: you've sent only two replies.

Suggestion: tell people where you're based and why, a bit about yourself as an introduction, what kind of mandolin you play. If they find out you're in the Ukraine and they're in Utah and they had to figure that out themselves, you have a problem. Tell them you have a Forum account and link to it if necessary.

Thanks for your suggestions, Scott.
    Now I understand the problem.
    It took me more than 10 years to build reputation on other resources (I'm a bass guitar player originally).
    Perhaps, with mandolin, I will need to start over not only in terms of playing
    Cheers!

I'm selling a mando on the mandolincafe classifieds and buyer is mailing a cashier's check. I've been reading up on cashier's check fraud.
    Buyer has only 2 posts here on mandolincafe, both in the past month.
    Googled and did find some info on the person, and it seems legit, but I'm a bit apprehensive.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Al