Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Facing evacuation

Default Re: Facing evacuation

Glad you're ok, kokopeli. We have a friend who is a fire chief in Lake County, CA ... and she couldn't get out to help out for the Middletown fire because she was surrounded by fires in Cobb, CA. Fires are scary for sure ... it's just too dry. I'm in the Pacific NW and we're having, to a lesser degree, drought conditions here. Rain is our friend. The next person who whines about rain ... well they just might get more than they bargained for from me.

I would grab my two Gibsons first: ukulele and mandolin, then my Derring banjo .... after I grabbed my hard drive backup disks ... which have my life and client work on them. I'm using Drop Box more and more to keep my data secure.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

I haven't seen much fire activity on all three major fires in California in the last five days based on MODIS satellite imagery in GEOMAC viewer. I would say for the most part they have been contained or have gone out naturally on some of the perimeters. Once the fire has stayed put for several days and it has been so dry any remaining fuels are burnt up on and inside the edge perimeters.
    Nic Gellie

3. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

Thanks, Nic. Official news has been sparse, other than continued warnings of smoldering, hotspots, and less-than-favorable heat and humidity. We have otherwise dropped off the media radar except for dramatic photo portfolios. Hopefully my next and final update will be on Tuesday when I announce that we are standing down and unpacking. We look forward to normalcy -- like, wondering what the Windows 10 installation will do to my ThinkPad.
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by k0k0peli View Post
    ...wondering what the Windows 10 installation will do to my ThinkPad.
    That'll finish the job the fire couldn't do. Just in case you've run low on adrenaline
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

6. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

UPDATE (Final): It's over. We have unloaded the wagons. We are not unpacked yet -- that will take a while, with a re-ordering of what was where. (We will grab any excuse for that. It is an old corporate slogan: When in doubt, reorganize.) And we have not yet unstaged our ready bags; fire weather is still upon us. But we feel the threat is mostly over. Huzzah! Ah, to have the Coleman mando in my hands again...

Again, thank you for all your responses. Now we can go back to important stuff like music and gossip.
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to k0k0peli For This Useful Post:

I'm glad to hear that the worry is at least relegated to the background for the moment.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!