Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gold Tone mandocello

Default Re: Gold Tone mandocello

Well it sounds like they will really add something lacking in the CBOM market - an under $1k USD carved guitar bodied 'cello. I had been trying to sell my Eastman MDC 805; it will probably be tough to compete with these new Gold Tones. So I think I'll proceed with my plan to convert her to an arch top guitar which I've been wanting for some time....in fact the sale of the 'cello was going to finance an Eastman guitar so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Well it sounds like they will really add something lacking in the CBOM market - an under $1k USD carved guitar bodied 'cello. I had been trying to sell my Eastman MDC 805; it will probably be tough to compete with these new Gold Tones. So I think I'll proceed with my plan to convert her to an arch top guitar which I've been wanting for some time....in fact the sale of the 'cello was going to finance an Eastman guitar so why not?
    This might be like trying to douse a fire with kerosene but if you want to keep those low tones, maybe an arch top baritone guitar? Just a thought...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

This might be like trying to douse a fire with kerosene but if you want to keep those low tones, maybe an arch top baritone guitar? Just a thought...
    Did you watch the video? It IS an arch top.

Quote Originally Posted by wildpikr View Post
    I'm keeping the low tones with my 26" F4 style 10 string mandocello. I also still have two OM's and a 10 string mandola. But I don't have a jazz guitar, yet...

Quote Originally Posted by NotMelloCello View Post
    Did you watch the video? It IS an arch top.
    Yup, I watched the video and noted the arch top on the Goldtone...

BUT, I was referring [in my post] to Mandobart's idea to make his Eastman MC [which is an archtop - I own one also] into an archtop guitar...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I'm keeping the low tones with my 26" F4 style 10 string mandocello. I also still have two OM's and a 10 string mandola. But I don't have a jazz guitar, yet...
    Cool idea...keep us posted...
    Mike

Well, I called Gold Tone to ask WTH the problem was in delivery. They assured me the first batch of mandocellos from China are headed to inspection in Florida soon, and I am number 6 in line. So.... early Christmas surprise, perhaps?

Well my wife has pulled off another great gift for me for my Birthday/Christmas. She sent me links to several different mandolins she liked the looks of and ask me what I thought of them. They were all beautiful. But told her I wished Gold Tone had their mandocello out. Because they were cheaper than the mandolins she had looked at. After showing her a picture on one of the Cafe's sponsor sites and listening to their recording she said call them. Instead I stopped at our local music store. (The owner plays in our church band with me) Asked if he could get Gold Tone brand instruments, specifically a mandocello. He called his supplier, who said they had received them this week and were shipping them out to dealers. And they had 2 left!!!!! Wellllll they now only have 1 left.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rodney Riley For This Useful Post:

Congrats! Looks like your the first! Can't wait to hear a in hands review. By the way, what's the store?
    Its not a backwards guitar.

Congrats! I'd love to hear your impression as well, as I'm very intrigued with these instruments. I don't expect them to sound like MM's Monte, but if they're serviceable, the price is certainly right...
    Chuck

A family owned music store here in Effingham, Illinois. The owner plays lead guitar and banjo in our church band.
    Chestnut Family Music. http://chesnutfamilymusic.com/index.html
    He also builds amps.NFI http://jchesteramplification.com/about/ I have a little trouble with his amp website.
    So far he has not called that it has been delivered. Of course he's pumped because he said he gets to set it up and play it Hope he doesn't take a week or so testing it out. LOL

Got a call from my dealer this afternoon..... I should be able to pick up my Gold Tone Mandocello on December 28th! HUZZAH!

14. The following members say thank you to NotMelloCello for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    A family owned music store here in Effingham, Illinois. The owner plays lead guitar and banjo in our church band.
    Chestnut Family Music. http://chesnutfamilymusic.com/index.html
    He also builds amps.NFI http://jchesteramplification.com/about/ I have a little trouble with his amp website.
    So far he has not called that it has been delivered. Of course he's pumped because he said he gets to set it up and play it Hope he doesn't take a week or so testing it out. LOL

Unless there's more than one such site in Effingham, that's a fantastic shop. Stopped in last Christmas and was pretty blown away by the inventory given what I expected to find.

16. The following members say thank you to trabb for this post:

This is practically exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by NotMelloCello View Post
    Got a call from my dealer this afternoon..... I should be able to pick up my Gold Tone Mandocello on December 28th! HUZZAH!
    Great. Hope I get the call from Chestnuts soon!!!! Though I've never played one. I will be using my Grandblessing's Cello book and learning the notes along with her on her Cello

Quote Originally Posted by trabb View Post
    Unless there's more than one such site in Effingham, that's a fantastic shop. Stopped in last Christmas and was pretty blown away by the inventory given what I expected to find.
    They had a big sale on Black Friday and his inventory is a little low right now. Saw they have a bunch of Ukeleles in this week. If you were in last Christmas, you probably saw one of my Lionel trains running between the piano and his peddle display. Didn't get a set up to them this year.

It's the 28th, and we eagerly await the long waited review!!!

21. The following members say thank you to Freddyfingers for this post:

Was at the store last night taking a grandblessing to his piano and guitar lessons. Mine hasn't shown up yet

The suspense builds!

Called my dealer this morning.... He says it's somewhere between here and Florida. So I guess it will be next year!

At least it's on it's way! I am considering giving a deposit to elderly to order one, but I really am interested in a first hand account. So I sit patiently with you. Care for some tea?

Anybody get their hands on one yet?
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I am guessing not. Sad though.

My dealer called his supplier. Said the whole shipment is lost/misplaced. They can't find them in the warehouse.

Apparently, it's all a big lie from Gold Tone. They never made any, they ones they sent sank with the boat, none of them passed inspection once they made it to Gold Tone, the truck they were on crashed and burned in a wreck..... Wonder what it will be next week?