Thread: 4 great new cds recently purchased

Default 4 great new cds recently purchased

Hey everyone,

I just thought I'd pass along a recommendation for 4 new cds (and one older one) that I have just picked up in the last couple of weeks.
    In no particular order:

Steep Canyon Rangers - Radio
    The Rangers continue to push their limits and expand on their original sound. Probably not for hardcore bluegrass fans as much as some of their early stuff. Very newgrass/progressive type feel. All original songs.

Chris Jones and the Nightdrivers - Run Away Tonight
    I am liking this one a lot. Pretty traditional based but original writing for most of the songs and a couple traditional ones. If you've listened to Chris before, it isn't a big departure from anything else he's done, but very good stuff. Some pretty nice mandolin work from Mark Stoffel.

Grasstowne - 4
    This one has been a long time coming from Alan Bibey and Grasstowne. Delayed some because of changes in the band from what I understand. The recordings feature mostly Alan and Justin Jenkins (banjo) with Ron Stewart handling most all of the guitar and fiddle work. Really good hard driving bluegrass with of course Bibey's funky licks and killer tone. A Mix of covers and original tunes. Ronnie Bowman and Shannon Slaughter also guest. Ordered directly from their site and Alan emailed me himself to verify the address and also signed the CD cover for me.

IIIrd Tyme Out - It's About Tyme
    I just got this one yesterday but am really digging it so far. Russell's voice of course is as good as ever and needs no hype. Love Wayne Benson's picking as usual. According to the notes, he is playing a 1925 Fern. They do some great hard driving bluegrass and a couple of more country songs. On the cover of "I think I want My Rib Back" Wayne plays an octave electric mandolin for a very Telecaster sound.
    Russell himself emailed me to say thanks after purchasing and shipped it along with signing thanks on the receipt.

The older one that I picked up is Town Mountain - Leave the Bottle
    These guys are the real deal in new traditional bluegrass. All original songs but most sound like old standards refreshed. Phil Barker plays a mean Kimble mandolin and wrote a lot of the material.

I'd recommend picking up any and all of these recordings if you're looking for something new.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Default Re: 4 great new cds recently purchased

And if you're looking to replace vinyl, I just got a fresh copy of "Live at the Cellar Door", Seldom Scene. Brought back some very fond memories!
    I need something new, has anyone heard the last Hot Rize offering? I've only heard snippets.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Well, it's not my money ... but if you need something new, you could hardly go wrong with that.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Hot Rize was in Nashville a few months back . I listened to the recording on the drive down. Stopped at Carter's on the way to dinner. Ran into Nick Forrester playing a Gibson slope shoulder dread. Nice fellow and it was a pleasure to meet him. While it is true that Bryan Sutton is not Charles Sawtelle, and that difference does add a different dimension to Hot Rize. That being said Hot Rize is still Hot Rize if you enjoyed Untold Stories you will also enjoy When I'm Free. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

5. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

That was the kind of answer I had hoped for UsuallyPickin. Thanks.
    So, JB what have you been listening to lately?
    I've been on a Lyle Lovett, Jeff Lynne, tear lately, not reason just feeling a little less bluegrass directed.
    I also am fond of listening to tejano music, I don't speak enough Spanish to know what the songs are necessarily about but, it's good to just listen to something I do not play for diversity.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Just listenin' to what's blowin' through the jasmine in my mind ...

Nothing, really. Been working on my own songs, which is bettered by reducing outside influences.

But I'm still willing to take it on faith that anything from Hot Rize will be good.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!