Thread: Station Inn Sunday Nite Jam 9/6/2015

Default Station Inn Sunday Nite Jam 9/6/2015

Anyone else catch this great jam? It was my first visit to the Station Inn in Nashville and it was great music all night. I recognized Mike Compton and Paul Duff I believe, but there were many other great pickers I did not recognize. There were 3-4 real good fiddle players, lots of guitar pickers, a solid base player (actually two), and a great Dobro player. I was visiting family in Tennessee and other eastern states, and brought no instruments, but had a great evening none the less.

Default Re: Station Inn Sunday Nite Jam 9/6/2015

That's Nashville. One night I was at Gibson's bar in the old Opry Mills mall during a Jam. I didn't have an instrument with me. I was watching three of four guys that were pretty impressive. The next day I was going through the records at the record shop in the mall and I ended up buying a Tennessee Mafia Jug band CD that Leroy Troy and a few other guys were on. A few years later the fiddle player was in Rhonda Vincent's band at a festival. I haven't been back for a few years. It's always interesting.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

This picker tried to steal the show!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TN-Jam_YoungGuitarist_StationInn9062015.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	307.4 KB 
ID:	138921  

4. The following members say thank you to Grommet for this post:

I made it to the Station Inn Sunday night jam about two months ago. First time and it was a blast. Roland White was there and several other great pickers. But there were players of various ages and levels of proficiency as well. Just like any other jam. That's what made it so cool. Does anyone know who can play there. Do you have to get permission or be invited?

Supposedly anyone can play there and yes I'm sure you never know who will show up. After two times in Nashville and attending the Sunday night jam I will tell you that there is a core group that has probably been playing there for many years who "run" the jam. I found it to be incredible cliquey and uninviting, they apparently either don't like new people or anyone that can actually play their instrument. Even trying to say hello or talk to them drew looks like you were from another planet.

I ran into two very good players (banjo and guitar) there I know from California who were attending SPBGMA that weekend. The group running the jam passed all three of us over time and again for breaks and song choices. So much so the young banjo player just put his instrument away. Not one to shy away from controversy, I asked the guitarist I knew to join me in a rendition of Feast Here Tonight. We stood up, told them we were doing this song and wailed away. We not only got the biggest applause of the night, I had people literally stopping me on the street that night and next day to comment on it. The best part was that 4 or 5 of the Station crew packed up and left.

i say this not to brag or belittle anyone but to point out that this music should be a way for us to all connect, learn and entertain. The old mentality of clique, exclusion, ego and or keeping good players away makes me a better player is ridiculous. Bluegrass is a pretty fringe art form to begin with. If we want it to thrive or even survive, let's try and be accomodating and welcoming to all players no matter their skill, appearance or whether we know them or not. Isn't that just being friendly and a good neighbor?

I am sure I will get a bit of backlash for this post but I have to say I looked forward to going to such a legendary jam twice and came away very disappointed in the people who ran it. Perhaps mine was a unique experience but I call on all of us to be more inclusive and encouraging to all players and grinners alike.
    2009 Ellis A
    2015 Weber Yellowstone 2-Point Octave
    1984 Flatiron A5-2
    1952 Martin A Oval
    1912 Martin Bowlback
    1915 Washburn Bowlback
    1910's Lyon and Healy Bowlback
    3-1900's European Bowlback's

Seems like maybe attendance at this jam might vary quite a bit. I was there about 2 years ago and there was a pretty small group of people - a core group of three or four. I asked the musicians if it was an open jam and was welcomed to sit down. Most of the songs played sounded more like old country songs than bluegrass, but I did get the nod to take a break on any song or tune I wanted to play on. I didn't lead any songs/tunes and wasn't asked to, but I didn't know what the norm was there so I was fine with that. Overall I really enjoyed it, the music was good. My only disappointment was how suddenly everything was over and we were hustled out the door.