Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Celluloid Binding Supplier

I thought it was ABS that I soaked in acetone for several days, perhaps it was vinyl.
    Anyway, it didn't melt, just got kind of rubbery.

Weldon does seem to glue it better then Duco, but doesn't seem to melt it.

I know for sure that acetone will melt/laminate ABS plastic. Weldon #2354 works great in laminating ABS. It is a pretty hot solvant (meaning it evaporates fairly fast) so it doesn't stick around to much to soften too deeply the ABS plastic in thin sections so I would imagine using Weldon #2354 to laminate and Weldon #16 to glue your binding to the instrument would work good.
    I take Weldon #16 and cut it 50% with acetone and paint the freshly routed binding channel. The next day I glue my binding on with Weldon #16.
    Just a thought.
    Keith Newell
    http://www.newellmandolins.com

Ok, I ordered some ABS to try out. Full report next week.

At the price Tortis gets for pickguards you might as well put 24K gold on for binding, the cost of 3 by 5 foot sheet to make binding would break the bank

For reference a standard sheet of material used to slice binding in .060 of either tortise or ivoriod costs about $110 wholesale they get $45 for a pickguard blank

Scott

I don't get it. You have to get binding pretty hot for it to flame on! Seems like the Gas/Diesel in the shiping trucks would be 1000 times more of a threat! Someone tell me how a piece of binding in a box could catch on fire, without a fire first being outside the box. JD
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)

Yonkle

Cellulose nitrate materials if over a certian weight or volume are so dangerous that the shippers must be licenced for explosives. Years ago when studying at McCabes they used to have a small wooden barrel of picks and people were welcome to help themselves. That barrel of picks about 16 inches high fit the requirement.

This material gasses off the solvents its made with for years. If you have a quantity of it the gassed off solvents if in a confined space like a shipping box are as good as a bomb and just as unstable

Scott

I bought a sheet of high quality tortise from Henry Stocek
    about a year ago. Henry did the home work on authentic looking tortise nitrocellulose and had it made in Italy...There was an atricle about Henry in the Guild of American luthiers publication several years ago...I wonder if Henry is still in the luthier supply business...

Thanks HANS, keep us posted
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

I can see it now, a whole bunch of new instrument jokes.

How do you know when you played a really hot lick on stage?

When there are 2 pieces of your mandolin on the floor, a top and the back with the sides with neck attached in your hand...all with charred edges

Well, it can be funny when it doesn't hapen to you.

I have repaired instruments that had some of their binding spontaneously combust. It makes a mess and can damage surrounding surfaces. This sort of occurence usually happens when left in a closed case for extended periods (years).

Quote Originally Posted by (Desert Rose @ April 30 2005, 08:14)
    For reference a standard sheet of material used to slice binding in .060 of either tortise or ivoriod costs about $110 wholesale they get $45 for a pickguard blank

Scott
    For more reference, my sheets of plastic have cost anywhere from 175-275 over the years. This is 0.125 tortoise. It is usually price commensurate with the thickness from there. Take in mind my supplier bought an entire brick which I assume to be 12-18" thick and it was $6000

I special ordered a sheet of 0.80 ivoroid/ 0.25 black/ 0.25 white from Delmar 10 years ago and it was about $250
    www.f5journal.com

ps: #Rave-on mentions Italy....every sheet I have gotten has an Italian sticker on it with a company name and "Xelox" as the material. #I cant remember the name but it's one of those Marucella like words

www.f5journal.com

Has Stew-Mac also discontinued all of the pickguards for acoustic and electric guitars and blank sheets? That's a lot of product to drop from your catalog.

Dad just got a new LMI catalog today. He says that for the first time, they specify what the materials are. He says the black-white stuff says "Black and white is made of vinyl"
    www.f5journal.com

Darryl, I can attest to that. Just sent back 48 strips. Duco or Weldon won't touch it.

LMI did also specify that their ivoroid stuff is celluloid.

I think the Martin Guitar 1833 shop sells celluloid binding.
    Our Life Has Gone To Shed
    [url="https://www.instagram.com/ourlifehasgonetoshed/[/url]

Yes, but I don't think LMI sells IBI in .090, which StewMac did and I use for body binding- even the headstock. Plus I don't think LMI's tortoise is celluloid.

As to someone's previous post that we're interested in this issue for personal reasons- that person was right on the button.

I wonder how many of the luthiers here might have custom orders swinging in the wind 'til this shortage/ problem/ is resolved? Anybody want to say? I can't help but think that SM is watching, (I'd hope) or someone like LMI, who could step in and up their inventory. I would think it would increase their orders for other stuff than binding by a significant percentage. Just thinking and hoping.

International Luthier Supplies binding does not say anything about being celluloid, but it does say it glues with Duco.
    Bill Snyder

Yeah, but no ivoroid. I have a Vitali's catalog from about '73 with all those inlays and same bindings.

Allparts has tort.,ivoroid and blk. and whi. Doesn't say if its celluloid or not. No pre-laminates either.

Is the LMI ivoroid the same as what StewMac used to carry?
    Gary

Here is LMI's most recent catalog. They seem to have celluloid. Only thing I don't see is the .030" w/b. They also sell glue to glue thier other bindings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	binding.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	8444  

Dad and I just bought a large quantity of the LMI Ivoroid and the Ivoroid/b/i...(just in case)
    www.f5journal.com

If LMI's I/B/I is indeed celluloid, I guess you could superglue a bottom strip of the vinyl b/w to it so you had the side lines and could still have the melt together nature at your joints.