Thread: Lacey Act Example Form -- HOW TO -- shipping to the US

Default Lacey Act Example Form -- HOW TO -- shipping to the US

Hi all,

I had been having success until now shipping from outside the US to the US via UPS Air, without filing the Lacey ("Plant and Plant Product Declaration Form") forms, for years -- they simply never asked for it. Customs had always required Lacey forms via Ground, so I had been avoiding Ground, but that is no longer an option apparently -- I was flagged for Lacey forms on my last UPS Air shipment to the US, and it sent me in a bit of a scramble. The last time I researched the issue, the very website of the Department of Agriculture had a slew of 404-NOT FOUND links on the pages supposed to contain the required information (Gee, thanks). Thank goodness for Wyatt Wilkie and his lovely wife Emily, who walked me through how they've been filling out the forms for years (Kudos to you both for diligence!). In any case, I followed their example, and the following is a successful example of how I filled out these forms should anyone run into the pleasure of the necessity in the future. Anything that is blank was not filled in. Anywhere there is red is explained or necessary, with the appropriately correct information for your case. Weights can be estimated. Any species listed in CITES (https://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php) needs to follow the guidelines, ie, in many cases a species is permissible in finished form but not as raw lumber, but that needs to be verified for each species.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lacey example.pdf 
Views:	5656 
Size:	639.6 KB 
ID:	139053

Best to all and good luck,

Brian

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to labraid For This Useful Post:

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Default Re: Lacey Act Example Form -- HOW TO -- shipping to the US

I have been doing it for some years, and that form looks familiar. If the mandolin contains shell inlay then there is also another form you need to fill in, and the US importer needs to get an import/export permit and pay the "inspection fee". That is the legal way to do it if there is some form of payment for the mandolin.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

4. The following members say thank you to peter.coombe for this post:

Thanks Peter. If anyone else wants a way around pearl, stained glass has a nice understated quality to it. I got a custom diamond core water drill made for me in California and it works great.

Out of curiosity, do I remember correctly that this is waved for instruments below a certain value?

Thanks, John.

I believe that value might be $2500? Or in the vicinity.

Mandolin & Mandola maker

The Lacey act stuff is waved for instruments with a declared value of less than $2000 for imports into the USA, $2500 for exports. It is not waived for shell no matter how little the shell is worth, nor is it waved if the shell comes from an oyster or abalone farm. Shell comes under wildlife.

Reviving this thread to give a HUGE shoutout to Brian for posting this Lacey Act compliance information. In a panic to bring in a pricey, used mandolin from the UK to California, this was the only calm-headed and practical information I could find anywhere on the web. I reached out directly to Brian to ask a couple additional questions—which he graciously answered—but ultimately I filled out the form essentially as posted here. The shipment was via FedEx Overnight, and the only additional information their very helpful customs department (FedEx Trade Network) asked for was whether the instrument was all solid woods (i.e., no plywood)—which it certainly is! And the mandolin arrived quickly and safely after that. All horrific web-fired visions of confiscation, destruction, fines, and prison time duly quashed! Maybe I got lucky, but still...many thanks to Brian!

I never thought of being the importer. I always figured that the seller was the exporter, who filled out the form, and I was the consignee.

Quote Originally Posted by labraid View Post
    Hi all,

I had been having success until now shipping from outside the US to the US via UPS Air, without filing the Lacey ("Plant and Plant Product Declaration Form") forms, for years -- they simply never asked for it. Customs had always required Lacey forms via Ground, so I had been avoiding Ground, but that is no longer an option apparently -- I was flagged for Lacey forms on my last UPS Air shipment to the US, and it sent me in a bit of a scramble. The last time I researched the issue, the very website of the Department of Agriculture had a slew of 404-NOT FOUND links on the pages supposed to contain the required information (Gee, thanks). Thank goodness for Wyatt Wilkie and his lovely wife Emily, who walked me through how they've been filling out the forms for years (Kudos to you both for diligence!). In any case, I followed their example, and the following is a successful example of how I filled out these forms should anyone run into the pleasure of the necessity in the future. Anything that is blank was not filled in. Anywhere there is red is explained or necessary, with the appropriately correct information for your case. Weights can be estimated. Any species listed in CITES (https://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php) needs to follow the guidelines, ie, in many cases a species is permissible in finished form but not as raw lumber, but that needs to be verified for each species.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lacey example.pdf 
Views:	5656 
Size:	639.6 KB 
ID:	139053

Best to all and good luck,

Brian
    Hi, there. I'm trying to buy an archtop guitar overseas. I'm getting lost in the Lacey Act Confusion. This thread has been very helpful. But how do you determine exactly what species of wood was used on an older, used guitar? For example, which type of maple, spruce and ebony?? Thank you in advance for any help. It is much appreciated!

That was the final step in the process in my mandolin importation in July 2019. I reached out to the builder, who kindly provided me with the types and weights of woods used in the construction, and even helped me with filling out the Lacey Act form. Depending on the guitar you're buying you might be able to do the same, or get some help from an experienced archtop builder who could make an educated estimate as to the types and weights of the woods involved.

Is this paperwork required on a used American-made instrument shipped from Canada to US?
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Is this paperwork required on a used American-made instrument shipped from Canada to US?
    No. Check first with the US Fish and wildlife and US Customs.

Only if it has Brazilian. Even at that The US made instruments going back to the US isnt that bad. Just shipping Brazilian or Madagascar into Canada might be a issue. Unless it is pre 1992. You still might need paperwork aka a Visa.

Darn thing is every country has a different law about this.

Mandolin & Mandola maker

As far as I know the Lacey Act paperwork is required from any country and any instrument if the instrument is worth more than $2000 USD, but check first with US F&W. Brazilian is different, it requires CITES paperwork in both countries because it is listed on CITES Appendix I. Madagascar rosewood is listed on Appendix II so does not require CITES paperwork so long as it is in a finished music instrument that weighs less than 10kg.