Thread: My first IBMA

Default My first IBMA

I'm heading to Raleigh tomorrow for my first IBMA experience. I plan to walk around with my mandolin and look for jams to thorougly embarrass myself in.

Besides that, what should be on my "Must See/Must Do" list?

2. The following members say thank you to Jordan S. for this post:

Default Re: My first IBMA

I'd suggest attending Tony Williamson's "Vintage Instrument Tasting" at 1:00 on Saturday. Always interesting and includes some great additional players as well. Last year it was Tony on mando, Noam Pikelny on banjo, Jon Stickley on guitar, and Ron Shuffler on bass. Playing all very desirable vintage instruments, of course.

4. The following members say thank you to ferrousgeek for this post:

I found the little clubs in the evening to be great...Pour House, Tir Na Nog. They all host a ton of great bluegrass bands, up close and personal. The Awards Show was pretty cool too, with lots of top performances.

6. The following members say thank you to Jonathan James for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan James View Post
    I found the little clubs in the evening to be great...Pour House, Tir Na Nog. They all host a ton of great bluegrass bands, up close and personal. The Awards Show was pretty cool too, with lots of top performances.
    Saturday, 6:15 at Tir Na Nog, bluegrass legend Jan Johansson will be hosting an "International Bluegrass Band" which in addition to Jan on fiddle, will also include Jens Kruger on banjo and Toshio Watanabe on mandolin.

8. The following members say thank you to ferrousgeek for this post:

Be on the look out for great showcases by little-known bands that are amazing, like Blue Mafia from Indiana. And check out the bluegrass suites on the pickin' floors. These are big twin rooms opened up by various state bluegrass associations that host all manner of fine bands and veterans. They're usually packed to the gills, so get there one band early and squeeze in when the crowd leaves.

Otherwise, hang out and pick in the lobbies and the pickin' floors. Remember IBMA actually means I've Been Mostly Awake, so prepare to be dead tired by Sunday. I get in tomorrow and I can't wait.

Thank, everyone! Great tips, and keep 'em coming! I'm super excited. Not even the weather can dampen my spirits (pun intended)...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4834.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	139094

which are the pickin floors?
    Also, how is the hotel with folks coming to check out the pickin floors if they are not staying over?

The weather forecast for Raleigh is NOT good. Chilly and lots of rain. It looks like the organizing committee is planning on moving most or all of what was scheduled for outdoor entertainment (Red Hat Amphitheater and the various stages) indoors to the convention center. Plan to spend some time in the exhibit hall with some fine builders and some really great instruments. Have fun!

From what I can gather from the little information released so far, it looks like the "World of Bluegrass" shows originally scheduled for the Red Hat Amphitheater are being moved to the Exhibit Halls inside the Civic Center. The question remains as to where the displaced exhibitors have been relocated. Sounds like they are also considering placing the "Street Fair" performances inside the Civic Center as well.
    I do not envy those having to make those decisions.
    I know how crowded the Civic Center has been the past few years with just the normally scheduled events. I can only imagine what a zoo it will be with the addition of the outside events moved in there.

Any updates on the exhibitors being relocated?

Quote Originally Posted by bryce View Post
    Any updates on the exhibitors being relocated?
    Final announcements expected by 10:00 A.M.

The exhibit hall can be divided into 3 parts labeled A,B, and C. The Red Hat ticketed events are listed as being move to Exhibit Hall A and B. If I had to guess, I'd probably say the Exhibit would be moved to the C portion of the hall. Essentially one-third it's normally allocated space.

This is just my guess based on zero factual information at this point.

I'm beginning to think I may just avoid the crowd and stay home. I'd love to visit some vendors and test drive some mandos, but experience tells me you won't be able to hear a thing in there.

Here is the current weather forecast : http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...8#.Vg06YCBVikp

Quote Originally Posted by ferrousgeek View Post
    Final announcements expected by 10:00 A.M.

The exhibit hall can be divided into 3 parts labeled A,B, and C. The Red Hat ticketed events are listed as being move to Exhibit Hall A and B. If I had to guess, I'd probably say the Exhibit would be moved to the C portion of the hall. Essentially one-third it's normally allocated space.

This is just my guess based on zero factual information at this point.

I'm beginning to think I may just avoid the crowd and stay home. I'd love to visit some vendors and test drive some mandos, but experience tells me you won't be able to hear a thing in there.

Here is the current weather forecast : http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...8#.Vg06YCBVikp
    That's exactly what they did. All free outside events moved inside as well. All location changes are listed on the W.O.B. App. Way too numerous to list here.

Well, in between helping the folks with tickets and such, had a chance to met and pick a tune or two with Jordan S. and his brother. Jordan has a dandy Collings F mandolin, we played delicious harmony lines to some fiddle tunes that I surely want to do more of, once time is opened up for me, should be tomorrow and the weekend, can't wait.

IBMA + Raleigh + Joacquin = a beautiful thing

Well they moved almost every event inside. We will still be playing outside in the dance tent for the Cane Creek Cloggers. We plan to have a good time though.

Anyone know what they plan to do with the BBQ fest?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

The awards are live right now on UNCEX for most PBS channels in NC.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    ...we played delicious harmony lines to some fiddle tunes that I surely want to do more of, once time is opened up for me, should be tomorrow and the weekend, can't wait.
    Let's do it! Let me know if you have some time to meet up.

So Jordan, how was your first IBMA experience? I hope it was worth the trip from Colorado and that you got some good playing time in.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

It was amazing. I couldn't believe the number of incredible musicians all in the same place at the same time. There was a professional-level jam around every corner. It was just crazy.

I got to meet up with Alan N (and play his remarkable Gilchrist) and Jordan Ramsey (who can cross pick like nobody else I know). Ron Spears handed me his well-worn Gibson and many other mandolins to pick on, I found myself at several intimate, late night/early morning jams with several well-known bluegrassers (as a SPECTATOR, mind you ), didn't get to bed before 5am on any day, and overall was just amazed at the kindness and helpfulness of everyone involved in IBMA.

An event I'll never forget, and one I hope to replicate annually for the rest of my life!

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jordan S. For This Useful Post:

Wow, sounds like an awesome time! Glad you had the chance to see our city.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1