Thread: Quickly detachable strap?

Default Quickly detachable strap?

Each time I attach a strap to my Godin A8 (or take it off) it's a long power struggle, during which I try very hard not to damage the strap buttons, (accidentally?) throw my mandolin across the room or cause some other physical damage.

I thought - perhaps there's some magic way to easily attach/detach a strap?
    I found this video which shows a strap mechanism that allows easy release/attachment with a click. I understand that another advantage of such a mechanism is that it locks the strap securely to the instrument.

Anybody tried these on a mandolin? Any recommendations or warnings?

Default Re: Quickly detachable strap?

I use the black Dunlop style on my A-8. Easy to install any brand with just unscrewing the buttons and replace them.

3. The following members say thank you to Rodney Riley for this post:

Rodney, you mean the "Dunlop Straplok"? Do I need to replace the screw (to a shorter one) or change anything before installing on the A8, or just install them as they come?

An Electric Guitar Button + a part you fix to your strap, it replaces the ones the Godin factory fitted.

You un lock it pulling the Knob out . releases a catch holding the outside of their button,

Dunlop Is a competitor of Schaller's It's a different Company and Country of Mfg. ..
    but they are both needing you to use a new Button, ie theirs.
    that one you push a button In. it releases the catch in the center of their s

there are simpler ways to make the loose strap ends More secure .

really simple is shown on their front page
    You just put it on your existing stuff and turn the ring, closing the hole tighter around the Button.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/ergo-lok-strap .. http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/lok-strap
    the latter has a little tab So that you can sew it onto the strap end to not loose It.
    Last edited by mandroid; Oct-01-2015 at 12:00pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Sevelos View Post
    Rodney, you mean the "Dunlop Straplok"? Do I need to replace the screw (to a shorter one) or change anything before installing on the A8, or just install them as they come?
    I just installed as they came. Lot of different brands. I've seen some by "Loxx". Think Planet Wave makes a strap that has a lock built in that locks on to the buttons. Has a key hole on the end and a cap that snaps over to keep it on

7. The following members say thank you to Rodney Riley for this post:

Thanks Mandroid for the info about the Dunlop Lok connector. However, you put this on after you already attached the strap.
    My main question was about a strap that could be quickly and easily connected/disconnected from the mandolin. This connector actually prolongs the process.

Thanks Rodney - this strap seems like a good solution as well without reinstalling the strap buttons. What made you choose the Dunlop Straplok over this? (the straplok does look cooler )
    Last edited by Sevelos; Oct-01-2015 at 12:30pm.

In my opinion, the simplest way is to use a quality leather mandolin strap. Fit it securely to the instrument, and just leave it there. There is at least 1 thread that explains numerous way to do this. Most cases will accommodate this method.
    Play what you feel
    Feel
    what you play

• Loar LM-590
    • Several guitars

... Thanks Rodney - this strap seems like a good solution as well without reinstalling the strap buttons. What made you choose the Dunlop Straplok over this? (the straplok does look cooler )
    Thought it took longer to put the strap over the button, slide in the groove, then snap the cover/lock in place. Repeat in reverse to get it off. All ya have to do is squeeze lock between two fingers and your thumb. push on and release... Squeeze n pull to take off.

Oh, wife n I had a great tour of Israel in November of 2013. Hope we can return sometime.

unless you are doing gymnastics while you play , a common guitar strap over the stock buttons
    that Godin uses should be adequate.

fwiw Stew Mac offers this T shaped button you just turn the strap 90 degrees

after slipping it over the cleat and it should be secure enough, if you dont trust the stock one..

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_..._Set_of_2.html
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I switched my a8 with straplocks, I switch back and forth to fiddle every couple of songs, the other suggestions here are just as valid, but I fell secure with what I have. I robbed them off my start which I don't play anymore.

Rodney - next time you're around, drop me a note. We could meet, perhaps jam together.

I am curious as to why you need to attach and detach the strap all the time. Most of us have straps on our mandolins that stay attached 100% of the time. You simply pull the strap over your head to play, or (Monroe style), just over one shoulder. There's nothing special about a Godin A8 mandolin that prevents this from begin done, to my knowledge. Guitar straps are a different story, because they're large enough that they often have to be taken off just to get the guitar back into its case. Not so for mandolins, unless your case is weird, or you use an enormously wide strap.

My Levy strap came loose from the bottom button a coupla times. An even though I put it over my head it twists and is faster to straighten by unsnapping the bottom button letting it untwist and snapping it back on. Also found out the strap locks are "Zeppelinn" brand.

Might be awhile before we can return. Both wife n I are retired now. Fixed income. And 4 Grandblessings we watch

Look at the Neotech mandolin strap. With this, the strap unclasps from small pieces at the attachment points. You leave those attachment point pieces on; they fit in my case fine. This strap is still listed on Amazon, although Musicians Friend says they're discontinued.

17. The following members say thank you to CelticDude for this post:

I got my Neotech asking the local shop to order one .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I use the black Dunlop style on my A-8. Easy to install any brand with just unscrewing the buttons and replace them.
    Thanks again Rodney, I finally installed the black Dunlop buttons and they work fine!

BTW - I sanded the original Godin screw-heads a little to make them fit the Dunlop buttons. I didn't use the Dunlop screws as they're somewhat thicker than the original Godin screws, and I didn't want to drill (and wanted to be able to go back to Godin buttons/screws if I choose).

maybe you could splice a backpack buckle onto the tail end somewhere, like this: http://www.rei.com/product/850234/se...-repair-buckle

or this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/strap...r-strap-system

Thanks again Rodney, I finally installed the black Dunlop buttons and they work fine!

BTW - I sanded the original Godin screw-heads a little to make them fit the Dunlop buttons. I didn't use the Dunlop screws as they're somewhat thicker than the original Godin screws, and I didn't want to drill (and wanted to be able to go back to Godin buttons/screws if I choose).
    I think I used my original screw too. Until the leather on the straps gets compressed fully. Check the tightness of the snap parts to the strap ends. I had one fall apart cause I just assumed it wouldn't loosen. Trying to find all the pieces on a dark stage... not fun.

22. The following members say thank you to Rodney Riley for this post:

I use one of these on a guitar that doesn't have the top button. The Godin's do have strap buttons on them. So we just replaced them with qwik release strap locks. Extra security cause they lock on, but easier to take off than tugging the leather over the buttons.