Thread: Cheaper alternative to blue chip TAD 50?

Default Cheaper alternative to blue chip TAD 50?

I played someone's blue chip TAD 50 briefly over the weekend and was wondering if anyone knows of a pick that is comparable in size and shape to the TAD 50 but cheaper. I've got a blue chip CT 55 now and can't justify spending another $40 on one pick without knowing if I'll like it.

Default Re: Cheaper alternative to blue chip TAD 50?

The Dunlop Primetone large triangle line offers so similarities
    TKD Falcon F5

3. The following members say thank you to atbuckner21 for this post:

If you don't like a BC, you can always put it up in the classified ads for $30 and chalk up the difference to the cost of tuition for a life's lesson learned- the used ones seem to disappear rapidly. Similar size & shape is not always a guarantee that an alternative pick will give you what you want, if the TAD 50 floated your boat.

tortoise?

I've traded Blue Chips here many times...someone will want your CT-55 and will have a TAD 50 they don't want.

No, looking for cheaper alternatives is not really an option. Nothing else will be identical with a BlueChip. The Dunlop Primetones come close, but no cigar. Some of your options include these:

1) Find a store that carries them, go there and test them. Not that easy, since many stores don't have them. But a list of dealers is found on the BlueChip website, at www.bluechippick.net. Maybe you live near one?

2) Go to a bluegrass festival or jam and see if someone brings along a BlueChip pick who will let you try theirs out for a bit.

3) Buy a BlueChip pick. If you don't like it, sell it used on the MC and take around a $10 hit.

4) Buy a BlueChip pick. If you don't like it, EXCHANGE it at BlueChip for a different model, or get your money back (less shipping)! From their website: "At BlueChip Picks we have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. If you are unsatisfied with your purchase for any reason within the first 30 days of ownership, you may return it to us and we will refund 100% of your purchase price." You can also exchange it for another model, although they don't say this. The folks there are terrific.

Contrary to what you wrote, it will not cost you $40 to wind up with nothing that you would enjoy using. If you hate the pick, will cost you $10 at the most, and possibly nothing at all (except a bit of your time, which I suppose is worth something). And if you wind up getting a pick you really like for $40, I think that's a bargain!! What did your mandolin cost you?

7. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

maybe primetone is no cigar, but it's a lot cheaper when you lose them ;-)

still the best pick I've yet to use.

Thinking I would take a bluechip when I record next though
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

9. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by platescraper View Post
    I played someone's blue chip TAD 50 briefly over the weekend and was wondering if anyone knows of a pick that is comparable in size and shape to the TAD 50 but cheaper. I've got a blue chip CT 55 now and can't justify spending another $40 on one pick without knowing if I'll like it.
    Maybe I'm missing something here? You already own a CT55 and you've played someone else's TAD50. But you seem to be unsure of whether you would like it or not. So you want to buy a completely different pick to find out? This doesn't make any sense.

I like the Primetones much better than the BC picks. I find with my play style the Blue chips sound very similar to a straight up Ultrex pick. If you know the size and shape you like it should be easy to try a few different kinds, primetone, proplec, Mock Turtle (Golden Gate water buffalo horn) etc all make picks of the same size and at a fraction of the cost.
    Back as a small fish in a big, city shaped pond.

http://www.myspace.com/stevequattrocchi

Fender 346 in extra heavy sells a half gross for $35. thats 72 picks.
    you can reshape them with the stuff you may use on your fingernails.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here? You already own a CT55 and you've played someone else's TAD50. But you seem to be unsure of whether you would like it or not. So you want to buy a completely different pick to find out? This doesn't make any sense.
    He likes the size and shape of the TAD 50, he doesn't like the price, I don't blame him, the way I lose picks I can't afford BC's I could soon buy another mandolin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    maybe primetone is no cigar, but it's a lot cheaper when you lose them ;-)
    The secret there is to not lose them.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Cheaper alternative to blue chip TAD 50?
    Be patient and buy one used. Play it. If you like it it's worth it. If you don't sell it for what you paid for it.

If they were $200 each I'd understand the problem. But $30 used is less than a tank of gas for something you could use a lifetime maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by atbuckner21 View Post
    The Dunlop Primetone large triangle line offers so similarities
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Fender 346 in extra heavy sells a half gross for $35. thats 72 picks.
    you can reshape them with the stuff you may use on your fingernails.
    One of the Blue Chip picks that I tried was a TAD50. Exact size, shape, and thickness as the Planet Waves 346 celluloid picks (same as the Fender 346 Extra Heavy) that I have had for a long time. When I did a eyes-closed comparison between the two, I could hear no difference between them. I ended up selling the BC. Keep in mind that this TAD50 had no bevel, just a rounded edge, so that made it even more similar to the celluloid pick. With a bevel it would sound brighter.
    I still have about 25 of the Planet Waves picks left.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by platescraper View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows of a pick that is comparable in size and shape to the TAD 50 but cheaper.
    The pick that comes to mind first that would be closest to the TAD50 would be the Wegen TF140. You can get a two pack for about $15. It is exactly the same size, shape and thickness and has a very similar bevel. I use a custom-ordered Wegen TF180 that does not have a bevel. I've been using it for over three years now and it shows no sign of wear at all and produces a very nice, full tone.
    Many people have shared the opinion that the Primetone picks are similar to Blue Chip. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I disagree with the comparison. In my opinion, the only advantage the Primetone has over Blue Chip is volume. the Primetone 1.5mm 346 shape that I have is the loudest pick I have ever used and I would be willing to use it in a situation where I needed volume over tone, but to me the sound produced is a very hard, fundamental note that has no subtleties or overtones. Maybe it's just my mandolin, string, pick combination, but I have several other picks that produce a much sweeter tone than the Primetone. Basically, I think it sounds nothing like Blue Chip.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I have a TAD50 and a CT55. If I really concentrate, I can convince myself that I hear and feel a very slight difference between the two, but if I just picked one up without looking and started to play, I wouldn't be able to tell you which one it was.

So my point is, you probably already have the closest thing to a TAD50 with your CT55. The CT55 is slightly thicker, with a slightly different bevel.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Greg Boyd swears by these Fisher picks.

http://gregboyd.com/accessory_detail.html?accessory

I do like the sound of the BC, but i like the sound of several picks. What all the other picks don't have is how smooth the BC comes off the strings the very high polish and smoothness of the pick has no equal when playing. It just seems to not have the drag of other picks. For that reason I use a 35BC. I'm not one to loose my picks, and these don't seem to wear out. Been using one for years with lots of playing. Great pick, and worth it to me. Fraction of the cost of any mandolin, and most will spend it willingly for the mandolin and complain about a couple of bucks for a good tool to play on their 1,2,3,-15 thousand dollar mandolin.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post

Thanks George for feeding my PAS and giving me a reason to stop by Greg's....ha. I'll have to try one of these.

To OP - just get the TAD50, I like them and the 60 (I like the 1R as well). If you don't like it sell it in the classifieds....it's where I get most of the BC picks I have.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post

Greg Boyd advertises those Fish Picks as
    "...similar material as a very popular pick that is much more expensive. These picks are hand made and come in various thicknesses, generally around 1.5mm".

...hmmm, which one could that be?

One more vote for the Primetones, and you can get a 3 pad for under 10 bucks.

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How we use the pick must be a factor. I have an ever growing collection including a few Primetone models. Nothing, in my experience, sounds or performs like the TPR 60 I have. Just got CT55... jury is still out.

I love my Blue Chip. I dropped it once during a gig on an oceanside dock. My heart sank as the pick rattled toward a gap between the boards. But it landed just shy of the abyss. Since then, I've drilled a hole in it and connected it a chain off one of them biker's wallets. Chain makes a bit of noise when I play but I won't lose that Blue Chip again.
    Jethro lives! (Tiny, too!)