Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: recording software

Most sound card mic jacks are mono -- at least my sound blaster live is (through searching it looks like its the norm). Could a preamp of some sort be used with the DIY stereo mics and then run into line in? I have to say I'm not very proficient in recording with anything but my cheap mono mic, so I'll look forward to any responses to daikon

Stu

For anybody on Mac OSX--the new Apple "GarageBand" application is incredible! I started with 4tracks way back when and have been "eyeing" pro software for some time (glad I didn't make that investment). GarageBand is bundled with new Apple computers or as part of the $49 iLife package (with iTunes, iPhoto, blah, blah, blah). Extremely intuitive multi-track recording with typical Apple flair. It may require one of the latest OS upgrades though. Now to get my chops up to speed so I can make use of it!

Cheers, mmm

Quote Originally Posted by (Dedian @ Mar. 08 2004, 15:03)
    Most sound card mic jacks are mono -- at least my sound blaster live is (through searching it looks like its the norm). #Could a preamp of some sort be used with the DIY stereo mics and then run into line in? #I have to say I'm not very proficient in recording with anything but my cheap mono mic, so I'll look forward to any responses to daikon

Stu
    Yes, the B-Tech BT-26 pre-amp I mentioned earlier in this thread brings levels up to line level and connects to the line-in jack of the soundcard in stereo. You can connect microphones in three ways:

1 mono microphone: same mono signal is transmitted on both stereo channels.

2 mono microphones: one microphone signal for each stereo channel.

1 stereo microphone: stereo signal from the mic is amplified and passed on to the soundcard in stereo.

The pre-amp, incidently, also has a phono mode to connect a turntable to an amp without phono stage.

I assume other pre-amps are much the same.

Martin

Questions: I did download Audacity and after purchasing a nifty little Optimus mic, I can record. Trouble is; the recording has a certain static to it that follows the tune. Ideas? Also, I downloaded the Lame-3.95.1 version, but if I go to convert to MP3, the Audacity program claims it can't find the Lame program. Ideas? The Lame website is a little lame in itself! There seems to be no definite place to download the program. At least for us one-click dummies. Unless I'm totally missing something. I've recorded a beginners version of 'Sally,' a version with slight variations, and a slightly more complex version with variations and embelishments. Now I have to learn to 'track over' with both mandolin and guitar back-up. Of course I'm trying to accomplish all of this with 15 spare minutes each night. Maybe if I have more time, like quit my job, play mandolin.... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan
    Play em like you know em!

plinker: does audacity want a codec or a program? If you downloaded the full lame encoding program, and audacity is expecting just a codec, that may not work the way you're wanting. The codec is in ia package called "Lame is not mp3", I believe, that will give you a .dll to install - there will be a .inf in the zip file that you can right click on, and go to "install" to add the mp3 codec to the mix. I'm assuming when you went to the lame website it was the site for the project, which will just have sourcecode (not very usefull!), but some other sites have compiled dlls.

dedian,

i put up a "how to" thing at Mandolin Project to help with the MP3 conversion process. hope it helps if you haven't figured it out already. e-mail me if you have anymore trouble.

craig

Thanks, but I know how to do it, I was trying to help plinker Your instructions don't include where to get the lame_enc.dll -- this isn't a standard dll. (well, on my computer it isn't).

One more attempt, then I give up. So I go to Export file as MP3 in Audacity. A dialog box opens indicating the file is to be saved as an MP3 file. Click, and another dialog box opens explaning that Audacity doesn't perform this function but would the computer like to locate LAME_enc.dll and we only have to do this once. Click yes, a new window comes up asking for a file name, with lame_enc in the slot. I've tried various with various extensions including the lame_enc file name. Click save and a window pops up saying that the computer could not open MP3 encoding library. So much for one-click shopping and easy to use interface. Dedian, there is nothing in either program that indicates there is a .dll to install in a .inf zipfile. I'll admit I'm no computer expert, but by no means am I the town idiot either. Well maybe after this.. If it is simpler that suggested or I'm missing something, let me know. I've even downloaded both programs again thinking the download was not complete. If not I'm all for another program because this is a pain my the behind. But other than that its not flusterating at all. Right!

Thanks, Dan

hehe, sorry Dan, I think I got you confused! my post about .infs and .dlls was about the lame MP3 encoding package, which Audacity may well have included (I don't have it installed), but probably not. When I wanted to encode with mp3 I needed to download that package. but maybe I'm outdated From what you said in your latest post, it sounds like you don't have the .dll available (lame_enc.dll, which it is searching for). Drop me a PM and I'll try to help, it sounds like there's just one more piece we need to find!

oh and when I say "lame MP3 encoding package" I'm not making a statement of its worth... It's actually called LAME -- it stands for Lame Aint an Mp3 Encoder

I just want to say that Audacity has opened a whole new vista for me. I have been using N-Track to record but find it so complicated to use for the finished product. Using Audacity to finish off the mixdowns from N-Track cleans them up in ways I had always wanted too......I am not a very technical guy....acutally a techno idiot.....which is why I am dependant on idiot proof software.....hehehe.......and Audacity helps tremendously..... Thanks for the introduction to it from this forum.....I am loving recording again.

Harlan

Question re: recording.

When recording, the visible representation of what I've recorded is a little more than a fuzzy line, and only at the loudest points does it spread out thicker than 2 or 3 mm#in width (height). #in the audacity help I read that these "waveforms" (?) should spread out farther. #I don't really know what I'm talking about, but my recording came out kinda quiet....

PS ......using a cheap PC mic.

Alan

alan,

well, your recording came out fine, though. did you try turning up the volume on your mic?

i'm using the mic on my PC too, and i had to do that. you can do this under the volume controls:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	volume.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	1590  

Cool, craig! Now we need a new thread on how you made that. That's awesome!

I hadn't seen any replies yet on an earlier post on how to get tracks to line up in sync...I'm recording track 2 as I listen to track 1 and I'm playing along in sync; but when I play it back, it sounds like I have no rythmn or sense of time...they're way off! What gives?

I had exactly the same problem....gave up in the end and just recorded myself playing along with the midi track (in one file). I would love to be able to add things though.

Getting the tracks to line up isn't too hard. I really have no idea what I am doing, but I figured that out in less than 5 minutes!

Use the time shift tool (located in the Control Toolbar - Control Toolbar.

Once you select the shift tool, drop & drag the part of want to line up. Does that make sense?

Also, there is an online Manual

& a Main Page with FAQ

I can't believe how great this program is! #I used a cheap ($11) microphone from radio shack & I actually don't sound as bad as I thought! Just slighty better than crappy!

Whoever reccommended this program - Thanks!!

Eric

Thanks a lot Eric, it sounds easy! I'll try that next time. It would be nice to add chops and stuff too. (just hope the next time it doesn't record the back-up track twice!)

Question Again! I'm still having unbelievable problems with the LAME program. This program really is worthless as near as I can tell, or in the true sense of the word, Lame! I go to save the Audacity file 'Export as MP3' and I receive this message; "Could not open MP3 encoding Library?" Or something like that. Have I not downloaded the entire program? My file dirictory indicates that this file is present. I've dumped and reloaded more than once. Where is there a simple download for LAME? Can somebody send me the program or at least the idiots version of the download and how to use the program? This is getting to the point of insanity.

Good thing I have a few mandos to re-string. Thanks, Dan

It's pretty easy, I find. When you download LAME, there is a file called "lame_enc.dll" in the distribution. It does not matter where you put it, just extract it from the Zip file download onto your hard disk. Now, in Audacity, go to "File|Preferences", click on the tab "File Formats" and you will find a button labelled "find library". Click on that and tell Audacity where you put the "lame_enc.dll" file. That's it.

Martin

What brand of microphone should we be using? any recommendations?
    2006 Duff F5
    2006 Gibson Original Jumbo Historic Collection
    80 year old fiddle of undetermined ancestry

I use a very simple headset my sister gave me for Christmas a few years ago.

Once Again. #I went through the process described. #Went to save a file as a MP3, and the final message reads, 'Could not open MP3 encoder library.' #I must not have the file downloaded. #Where did you download the file? #Where do I download Lame with the lame_enc.dll file attached? #This is driving me crazy! #I've downloaded the program at least five times and the message continues to return.

This program doesn't work!!!! Dan

Plinker

Is it possible that you have the file within a zip? Windows XP let's you browse inside zip files without unzipping, though I suspect that Audacity needs the file out of the zip. If you've downloaded the program, make sure that the file lame_enc.dll has been extracted from the zip and then when you get the message, find the file (or follow Martin's process). Are you definitely finding the lame_enc.dll file?
    Don

Don described it as well as any, but let me try too.

When I downloaded the encoder, the download dialog box has a checkbox that says "Close this window when finished". I leave it UNchecked. When the download is done, that download box remains there, and I click open, (which opens the file, in this case a zip file.). It is still ZIPPED even though you can view the contents, including the .dll file you seek. I click "EXTRACT", and chose a location on my harddrive (I think I created a new folder called "LAME".). Then "OK". It unzips the file.

Then when prompted in Audacity, I believe I had to navigate to my C:\LAME folder and there it was.

Hang in there. I've had frustrating moments like this before with PC's but once you get em solved, take a few deep breaths adn go play mando.

As a matter of fact, don't ever let a PC get in the way of enjoying that beauty!

Good luck Plinker!
    Alan

I'll try it when I get home. Goofy thing is, I used to have to navigate through dos using manual commands, then dosshell, Windows 3.1, and now this point and click thing has got me baffled. Even at work if there is a small computer logistic that needs to be worked out, I get the call. Help! I've turned into a computer illiterate. Thanks for the suggestions, and if I need help again, hope not, I'll beg some more. Pathetic isn't it? I'm sure you'll hear me yell.

Now What Key is SHIFT, Dan