Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Left Handed Hogwash?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Left Handed Hogwash?

I'm left-handed. Playing 'right handed' just makes sense to me, dominant hand fretting and all...
    1983 Flatiron 1N - Pancake/Army-Navy
    2011 Eastman MD-315 - F-style
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

2014 Satin Cherry, Gibson USA 120th Anniversary SGJ14
    Godin Guitars' Art & Lutherie "Spruce" 6-string dreadnought. Hand made in Canada.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theCOOP For This Useful Post:

This is a very interesting topic to me. I'm a beginner at the mandolin and am left-handed. The thought of getting a lefty mandolin never occurred to me, because I had a bad accident with a power saw in my youth and picking with my still mangled left thumb just wouldn't be possible.

Lots of good insights here.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BCVegas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BCVegas View Post
    This is a very interesting topic to me. I'm a beginner at the mandolin and am left-handed. The thought of getting a lefty mandolin never occurred to me, because I had a bad accident with a power saw in my youth and picking with my still mangled left thumb just wouldn't be possible.

Lots of good insights here.
    If you're just starting try lefty, it may work out for you. I know a few and have seen several people with missing, damaged fingers...it doesn't stop them.

So BCVegas, my read is that you bought a righty, am I correct?
    I say it's a good decision, you can play anyone else's "something cool" at the drop of a hat! The opportunity to play something you've only been told stories about is in your grasp. No waiting to fall into a left handed one.
    Those that have committed to the left hand design, more power to you. I'm glad I was too cheap to try to find one forty odd years ago!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

7. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Those that have committed to the left hand design, more power to you. I'm glad I was too cheap to try to find one forty odd years ago!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cheap-custom-essay-online.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	139536
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

9. The following members say thank you to Emmett Marshall for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	139546

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    A true left-handed keyboard would have the bass strings all the way over on the right, gradually going up to treble on the left. Although the most logical solution in keeping with the discussion above would be to forgo chirality altogether and create a mirror image arrangement, with bass right in the middle, going both ways toward treble on both the right and left extremes of the keyboard.
    That is the way Kalimbas are arranged. They are diatonic and alternate left and right going up the scale.

OK, it's been a page or two and I can't remember who said it, but I found the idea that most people (barring typing) who don't play instruments seldom use individual fingers fascinating. Most of the people I know are either typists or musicians, so my observation is pretty limited to strangers who may have hand issues I'm unaware of ... but I wonder if the idea that using individual fingers or both hands simultaneously doing different things (as most musicians do) may be another argument for teaching musical instruments in schools. All those cross brain/coordination connections being strengthened and all. And I wonder, now, whether having played instruments since I was relatively little and being a typist as an adult has actually created strengths and abilities in my non-dominant hand that wouldn't have happened otherwise. I'm pretty much right-handed, but I've never had problems using my left hand when playing instruments or typing and I'll use my left hand to give my right a break if I'm doing any physical task, from washing windows, raking leaves, shoveling snow or whatnot.

My sister and cousin are both left-handed. My sister writes upsidedown -- physically turns the paper upsidedown to write so people standing in front of her can read what she's doing without effort. She bowls right-handed. She played her clarinet and her recorders with correct (right?) fingering and, afaik, never tried to use the opposite hand position. My cousin plays classical guitar -- right-handed. She uses her left for most other tasks. I'll have to ask her if she's ever considered a left-handed guitar.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    So BCVegas, my read is that you bought a righty, am I correct?
    I say it's a good decision, you can play anyone else's "something cool" at the drop of a hat! The opportunity to play something you've only been told stories about is in your grasp. No waiting to fall into a left handed one.
    I bought a righty mandolin, correct. There's no chance I could have enough control with my mangled left thumb. I didn't even consider a lefty mandolin.

14. The following members say thank you to BCVegas for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    That is the way Kalimbas are arranged. They are diatonic and alternate left and right going up the scale.
    And you use both hands!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    English-system concertinas are chromatic, alternating left and right hands as you go up the scale. Lower notes closer to you, higher notes farther away. Buttons are in four parallel rows on either side of the instrument; the two interior rows are "white keys of the piano" natural notes, the two outer rows "black keys" sharps/flats.

Playing a "C" scale on the English goes left index, right index, left middle, right middle, repeat. Ring fingers cover "black keys" sharps/flats, and the index fingers "double" to cover not only "white keys," but "black keys."

Hardest instrument I learned, and after 25+ years, I still make lotsa mistakes... But, clearly no dominant hand, and both hands perform the same motions.

Thumbs, by the way, pull the bellows open, and the heels of the hands press it closed.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Someone may have already mentioned him, but Doyle Bramhall II plays left-handed guitar with the low strings on the bottom. It looks very unnatural but he manages to make it work (understatement).