Thread: Dimitrios Alexeas A Style Modern Deluxe Mandolin on Ebay

Default Dimitrios Alexeas A Style Modern Deluxe Mandolin on Ebay

I don't know anything about this maker but I really like the way this mandolin looks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181669975794...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone familiar with Dimitrios?
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Default Re: Dimitrios Alexeas A Style Modern Deluxe Mandolin on Ebay

A little concerned about the description: it's called an "A Style Oval Hole Modern Deluxe Mandolin," and the seller states, "Pictures are of actual instrument you will receive," but the pics are of an f-hole mandolin.

I'd correspond with the seller before putting down any money. Looked up the Alexi Strings website, and they list mostly violin accessories; no mandolins, or anything else, under the "Instruments" tab. Apparently they're in NC; there's an earlier (or residual) listing for an Alexi Strings in Valley Stream LI, and what remains is a blurb about how excited they are about "our new Chinese instruments." Appears that the earlier store was basically a violin shop.

Google search on "Dimitrios Alexeas" only turns up the current eBay listing, and another eBay listing where the seller's listing what looks like an unmarked Strad-O-Lin, saying it could be a Dimitrios Alexeas, since Alexeas makes mandolins that, supposedly, look like Orpheums or Strad-O-Lins. No mention of him as a luthier.

This may well be an import of some kind, rather than a US luthier's product. I'd do a bit of investigating by e-mailing the Alexi Strings seller, seeing what he/she says about the instrument and the elusive Mr. Alexeas.

Of course, some other Cafe member may have actual contact with the builder, but I'd expect a bigger internet footprint than a couple of eBay listings.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM