Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Benefits of mandolins vs other instruments

Default Re: Benefits of mandolins vs other instruments

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Regarding slack key - I originally brought it up in response to the "I wish I could" statement, meaning that you can wish in one hand and spit in the other; see which fills up first. Or you can take actions to fulfill that wish on your own.

As this has led to further slack key discussion, here is what I've been told about it. A sea captain (Vancouver or Cook) presented Kameahmea with a gift of cattle. The Hawaiians did not know how to run cattle, so the cows began overrunning the island(s), becoming a nuisance and hazard. They sent for Mexican vaqueros (aka the world's finest cowboys) to straighten out the herd, which they did. These paniolo (a Hawaiianization of espaņoles—"Spaniards", there is no "S" in the Hawaiian language) brought guitars with them. Portuguese sailors brought bandurra-like instruments which became the 'ukulele.

Nahenahe is Hawaiian, meaning gentle, sweet, tender; it is a mindset or outlook which goes beyond "just playing a re-tuned guitar." As a native of the American Southwest I liken it to the Navajo "beauty way", which probably still doesn't explain it.

I'm probably doing it wrong playing on a 10 string mandocello, but

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4PyS26F0HhE
    Thanks, it has been a very long time since I thought about slack key other than the CD a friend brought back from a visit to the islands.
    I really appreciate the clarification of who brought what to which party and when! Now, that you make your statement, the timeline and courses brought makes perfect sense.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    Many years ago I got to play drums with Tiny Tim. It was one of the best gigs of my career. He only used his falsetto on "Tip-Toe" and a couple others. He was a consummate musician and entertainer, and knew more songs than any ten other musicians. I don't know about Tiny Tim and Bill Monroe, but Tiny Tim did an album with one of my favorite groups, Brave Combo.
    Herbert Khaury adopted the "Tiny Tim" persona to get work as a novelty musical act, from what I've gleaned. When he was signed by Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In for a national TV cameo, the Tiny Tim aspect of his career totally took over, and the result was a multi-platinum album, God Bless Tiny Tim, marriage to "Miss Vicki" on the Tonight Show, etc. etc. He continued performing until dying after an on-stage heart attack, in 1996.

There was clearly a lot more to Khaury's musical interests and career than being Tiny Tim. He recorded several more albums, performed more or less continuously for 30+ years, and his Wikipedia bio refers to him as a "musical archivist" for his broad knowledge and repertoire.

By the way, Khaury played left-handed on a "right-handed-strung" ukulele. Relates to this current thread...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Ignoring all the uke and music notation opinions, I think the mandolin has the following benefits for me (also play guitar-18years, uke - off and on for a few years and Dobro-3 years):
    Size-both overall and neck (small hands easier reach)
    You don't have to sing along (not a great singer)
    Easier to transport (related to Size)

I still like the tone of the guitar better and it has been my main instrument, but lately find myself gravitating more to mandolin-mostly for the three benefits above. For general messing around the uke is easiest. Just my $.02
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Herbert Khaury adopted the "Tiny Tim" persona to get work as a novelty musical act, from what I've gleaned. When he was signed by Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In for a national TV cameo, the Tiny Tim aspect of his career totally took over, and the result was a multi-platinum album, God Bless Tiny Tim, marriage to "Miss Vicki" on the Tonight Show, etc. etc. He continued performing until dying after an on-stage heart attack, in 1996.

There was clearly a lot more to Khaury's musical interests and career than being Tiny Tim. He recorded several more albums, performed more or less continuously for 30+ years, and his Wikipedia bio refers to him as a "musical archivist" for his broad knowledge and repertoire.

By the way, Khaury played left-handed on a "right-handed-strung" ukulele. Relates to this current thread...
    I lived in NYC briefly in the late 70's and Tiny Tim evidently lived in the same neighborhood (47th & Lex) 'cause I would often see him in the little neighborhood grocery with his shopping cart and dressed in his plaid polyester "used car salesman" blazer and I seem to remember he had his hair died a dark red (henna?) obviously aware of changing trends in music and where he might fit it. I never had a long conversation with him, but always said, "Hi" and he seemed to enjoy being recognized.

Later in the 80's he was attempting a comeback and I saw him live with a backing band on tour in Columbus, Ohio. What can ya say? Gotta LOVE Tiny Tim! RIP

I love playing fiddle tunes on the mandolin. I've played some fiddle, a little on guitar. I know I can't achieve the levels of guitar playing so many people have. And I don't have the showy personality to be a hot fiddler. The mandolin gives me a chance to shine and improvise without the responsibility of being a fiddler! I'm a purty good mandolin player, too, and getting better all the time because I practice every day for at least 20 minutes, and sometimes over an hour a day. I also have an occasional lesson with a world class mandolinist who is a great teacher, too boot. I lead a band, and host a jam. Long Live the Mandolin!