Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Set Up Ebook and Mandolin Users

Default Re: Mandolin Set Up Ebook and Mandolin Users

Wow! Thanks to Rob Meldrum for his great Mandolin Setup eBook! What a wonderful resource for all of us. I'm gonna feel a lot more confident digging into a setup now, thanks to him. And I really like the economical way he finds to make tools that would otherwise cost us up to $100. Great work, and thanks!

It took Rob 4 minutes to get me his Ebook.....Nothing FREE comes that quick these days Words cannot express my gratitude and thanks towards Rob for providing the Mandolin world with this free and comprehensive resource. There aren't many people out there who would do this for free, for so many people to benefit from. If there were a mandolin history museum, a hard copy of this would certainly be in there next to the Mel Bay books
    I thank you with all my passion, as does the Mandolin world
    Andy McAllister

'08 Michael Kelly Legacy Elegante'
    '09 Epiphone EJ 200-CE

PS, Don't forget to check out Rob's youtube videos and most importantly comment on them. it's the least we can do to help him out short of compensating him!
    Andy McAllister

'08 Michael Kelly Legacy Elegante'
    '09 Epiphone EJ 200-CE

Thank you for the excellent reference. I certainly support your comments on the state of purchased mandolins and the advisability of setting them up yourself. Your instructions and pictures were very easy to read and included tips that aren't found elsewhere. I do find that truss adjustment and fret dressing are usually needed and they are not that difficult. Some cheap instruments require edge filing of the frets as well since the frets are just chopped off. Thanks again!

Thanks Rob, I downloaded this last night and after reading it I now have a better understanding of my new instrument. Setup to follow shortly.

Thanks, Phil

I got this just before my first mandolin showed up..... and it is a good thing.

First thing I did when I got the mandolin was freak out they forgot the bridge...... oh wait, there it is, what do I do with this?

I quickly pulled this tutorial up on my phone and I was up and running in about 30 minutes. Thanks for the rest help!

Thanks Rob for a straightforward and practical guide to mandolin setup. I have done plenty of setups on guitar and ukulele but the mandolin has its own quirks and tricks to getting it playing just right.

I got a used Kentucky KM-150 this week, which clearly had never been properly set up. I'm so glad I found your guide and was able to obtain a copy before I tackled this project. I spent one evening reading, one evening actually doing the work and now it plays beautifully! I can't wait to explore this new instrument!

Thanks again for helping me get started right!

Rob sent me his ebook four years ago when I was playing my first mandolin (a Rogue, of course). It helped me diagnose the problem I was having (cracked bridge) and ultimately that I was ready to upgrade (Kentucky). It is very thorough and if I were a person with patience for doing fine, accurate, work, I would have surely taken (and still be taking) advantage of it. I hope I remember to thank him. Thank you Rob!

Hey Rob! Thanks for sending me the Mandolin Setup eBook. Looks great, and I am excited to begin setting up my new Mando! I very much appreciate the work you have done on this resource, and your generosity in sharing it with this community. Bravo Zulu!

Got a copy of the e-book last night and really appreciate the time and generosity it took to compile, edit, and continue to share the resource. Thank you.

Bought an entry level mandolin (Kay) about 25 years ago despite being primarily a guitar player. Have interest in old time, blue grass, folk, rock, jazz, and alt-country/Americana types of music. Never have done too much with the mando but have learned some chords and used it to record a few things over the years.

Ready to get into mandolin full-on now. Unfortunately, the Kay hasn't fared well and is beyond repair. I'll be reading up on these forums and attempting to get my hands on some mandolins to get a feel for what I'd like to play. Unfortunately (and surprisingly), it appears there's not too much in my area (Dallas-Fort Worth) to do in terms of good music stores locally.

I'll also be perusing the classifieds as a used mandolin or perhaps a trade could be just the thing as I have a 'stable' of guitars and perhaps other items that could be good trade fodder.

Look forward to learning a lot from the collective wisdom of this group.

Thanks again for the e-book.

ap

Thank you Rob. Your book allows a newbie the confidence needed to setup a mandolin. Again thanks.

Thank you Rob. This is a wonderful instructional. Many thanks for sharing so unselfishly your knowledge amongst fellow players.

Received my set-up e-book yesterday from Rob. Now, waiting on my new to me mandolin, a KM 150. Can't wait to use the info Rob has so selflessly furnished to set it up. Thank you so very much Rob for the assets to use for this job. Will let you know how it turns out. Again, thank you very much. Torpedo Tom

Thank you, Rob. Thanks for taking the time to produce this ebook which is chock full of good information. I also enjoyed viewing your videos.

Another thank-you to the kind and helpful Mr. Meldrum!

Thank you. I can't wait to get started on my set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Meldrum View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have been giving away the free setup ebook for nearly four years now, and I thought you'd be interested in some observations I have. First off, if you want my free ebook on how to set up a mandolin, just email me at rob.meldrum@gmail.com and put Mandolin Setup in the subject line.

I've given away nearly four thousand ebooks! That's a pretty good sample size to make a few observations. The average person requesting my book is male (over 95%), over forty years old (85-90%), very polite (99%), new to mandolins (65-70%) and trying to make the best of an economical purchase (65-70%). "Economical purchase" is any mandolin with a retail price of under $350.00.

Depending on the time of year 50-75% of the requesters come from MandolinCafe, 30-50% from seeing my YouTube videos, about 10% from MandoHut, and the rest from random Internet searches.

On the Rogue as an introductory mandolin front, many requesters consider the Rogue, find my YouTube videos, and then buy the Rogue. After completing the setup they are happy players. I have yet to hear from a person saying their Rogue is a mess and they are bummed out. In the past four years the quality control of the Rogue has steadily improved. The last couple of instruments I have bought needed very little work.

For a polite group, surprisingly few requesters (5-10%) post a thank-you or comment on this site. Many email me a personal thank you. I would prefer a thank you here only because it "bumps" the thread and makes it easier for a newbie to find. I attribute this to two things. First, newbies frequently join a site and then don't participate. More importantly, the users here tend to be very passionate. Any time someone posts a positive experience about a Rogue or other inexpensive mandolin there will be a chorus of experts laughing at the "firewood," "plywood," "wall hanger" that the newbie bought. Based on most of the threads here one would think that a rank beginner should never spend less than $500 for an entry-level mandolin.

I think because of our average age and income level most of us forget what it's like to think a $100 purchase is a pretty big deal. In my real job I am an insurance agent and I see lots of people living paycheck to paycheck. If their child wants a guitar or mandolin they usually budget around $100. I like knowing that for $100 (and a free setup book) they can get a playable instrument. In a year or two they will know whether their child is a committed player and deserves a better instrument or the mandolin is collecting dust in a closet or attic.

Oh yeah, the last statistic. Most luthiers know a lot about woodworking and finish work and not a lot about setting up a mandolin. I base that on the comments I get from luthiers after they read through my book.

I've had a few good suggestions about beefing up certain areas of the book and have decided not to take the time to do a re-write. The income (zero dollars) just doesn't justify the effort!

Since writing the ebook I have gotten involved with a guitar-oriented band and spend 99% of my time playing guitar, so my mandolin picking skills are still very weak. But the people on this site make visiting here a real treat.

Mandolin players are a special lot. :-)
    JUst got the set-up e-book. Well written and thoughtful. Looking forward to learning more through this book. Thanks, Rob !

Thanks for the book, Rob! Lots of good info for new players (like me).

Ken Carroll

Many thanks to Rob Meldrum for his very quick response to request for his Mandolin set up book.
    Just what I need for my new found Kentucky mando, thank you for sharing.
    Cheers
    BarlyG

I just received the ebook from Rob Meldrum and plane on going through it page by page this weekend. Been away fro my mandolin for a couple years and have been picking it up again remembering how much fun/pleasure it gave me. Thanks a whole bunch to Rob and his generosity.

Nice post Rob and thanks for offering up the book. I've stayed away from cheap mandos because I didn't want to deal with driving or shipping a mando to get it set up IMO thT sort of defeats the alurre of a cheap mando. Anyway I just emailed you to get a copy.
    Thanks
    Lou

Thank you for the book and sharing your knowledge. My Rogue sounds awesome, well to me.

I just got a copy the other day. I haven't gotten a chance to give it a try yet. Many kudos to Rob for putting this together and many more kudo for sharing it for free.

Thanks to Rob! I was able to set up a Kentucky KM-150 that I found in a battered cardboard box in the back of an outlet store of all places. It plays quite well now, to my new-to-mandolin hands.

I am new to the mandolin and came here looking for information before I bought my first mando. Several people recommended I reach out to Rob and inquire about his setup guide. I emailed Rob today and he quickly responded with the setup guide as well as links to some of his videos. I want to say thank you to Rob for the excellent info and for being so willing to help a newbie out.