Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Set Up Ebook and Mandolin Users

Default Re: Mandolin Set Up Ebook and Mandolin Users

Thanks so much Rob for sending out a copy of your Ebook. While I had some limited skill at building and setting up my own playable mandos, this book made my current workhorse even more pleasurable to play. Many thanks for putting together an excellent, easy to use guide.

*Wood for building new mando ... $258.18

*Hardware ... $ 172.67

*Rob's ebook ... $0

*Obtaining the knowledge to make your home made mando enjoyable to play and sound great too ... PRICELESS

Thanks Rob!!

Rob, Thank you for your book, it did help me a lot in setting up my instrument !

I also want to thank Rob Meldrum for book. I have had it for several weeks but have just now been able to go through it. Looking to install a new bridge on an old "campfire" Kentucky and the instructions are simple and I feel comfortable learning a few things on this mando! Thanks Rob and I will let you know how it goes as I start playing around.

Jim1Hays

Rob, Thanks for doing this for free. There are, as you mentioned a lot of beginners that cannot afford a $500 mandolin and are living pay check to pay check. When I started I was in that boat and started with an ACER teardrop that had an action only a gorilla could play. I could not afford to take it to a shop for setup. This was back in 1983 when I got out of the Navy. Now I have a Washburn F body W3EW acoustic/electric I paid $450 for and had it setup. Again Thank you!

Thanks for the e-book! You were right about parents only spending around $100. I was lucky and found a Kentucky KM-150 for $85. This will help us dial it in for my daughter. She has been playing violin since she was 10 and now at 19 is excited to get started on the mandolin!
    Thanks again
    Chris

I just got my copy yesterday. Thanks a bunch Rob! I can't wait to put the info to work!
    Ruhland #41
    My unnamed build #1
    Various other stringed and percussion tools

Rob, thanks so much for the setup book. Being a new player, I had no real idea whether I need a setup or not. I live in an area without a decent music store or repair person, so I look forward to being able to maintain and troubleshoot by myself. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyf View Post
    Rob, thanks so much for the setup book. Being a new player, I had no real idea whether I need a setup or not. I live in an area without a decent music store or repair person, so I look forward to being able to maintain and troubleshoot by myself. Thanks again!
    Likewise! thank you to the mighty Rob for making the ebook available to everyone, especially those in localities away from major stores who are in Dire Strait when it comes to available resources.Have a new Kentucky KM 150 from www.zenithmusic.com Perth, Western Australia, and live on the East Coast of the Continent so such a book is a real treasure in finalising action and intonation.Blessed!

Blog Entries

I'll add my thanks (again), Rob. I have recommended your book to fellow Newbies several times. Most recently, a few minutes ago.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Thanks for the book Rob! Wonderful to have so much great info clearly explained, top man! Regards from Andy in France

What a wonderful resource, packed with information and so thoughtfully written.

thanks so much Rob
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I thanked you in another thread, but I wanted to do it again here. Such a good resource and the fact that you provide it for free makes you a good guy in my book!

^ Ditto!

Rob, thanks for sending this book, and for your super prompt response. Much appreciated!
    scott

Thank you Rob for sending me your ebook so quickly last week. What a great resource! I'm looking forward to starting work on my Savannah mandolin this weekend. I appreciate all your hard work and want to say thanks again!

Rob was kind enough to send me a copy of his mandolin setup book and I must say that it is excellently written and very informative. Thank you Rob both for writing such a helpful resource, and for sharing it selflessly with Cafe members. Blessings

Rob - I'm appreciative for the well written ebook on mandolin setup. You are the man! Thanks for taking the time to compile this really excellent guide.

Thanks for the book Rob. It's exactly the information I needed written in a very accessible way.

Yep, another satisfied recipient here! Thanks so much for your generosity in a very informative and easy to understand ebook!

I am a total beginner. The ebook answered many of my questions.

Thank you.

Add me to the long list of folks who appreciate the contribution Rob is making to the community. He replied quickly, and I’m reading th eBook now. Many thanks, indeed!
    Eastman MD305, American Conservatory bowlback
    Martin D-15, Goya (Levin) G-10
    Bevy of high whistles, and a Howard Low D
    GoldTone MicroBass Fretless (when the wife lets me steal it!)

Hi everyone. My first post here is a thank you to Rob for his fantastic ebook. I'm very new to the mandolin and decided to go with a very inexpensive one, just to get a sense if I liked it. After some initial adjustments (intonation, lowering the bridge) it still felt like it could be a more comfortable instrument to play with. Rob's book gave me the perfect information and confidence to go forward and try and set it up myself -- I had a hard time finding luthiers around here... even strings are very hard to find. After setting it up following Rob's book, my mandolin feels like a totally different instrument, and much more enjoyable and comfortable one to play.

I would encourage anyone who's on the fence about it to give it a try. Thank you, Rob!

I don't even have my mandolin yet, but I know from the tracking number its in town. I decided to go with the inexpensive Rogue just to see if I like mandolin playing. I already thanked Rob in another place for graciously sending me his eBook, but I guess this is the official place to do it. I am looking forward to setting mine up and learning to play it, before I get a more expensive model, if I like playing the mandolin.

Thanks, Rob

Larry Brockman (Smyrna5 on most of the inter-web)

I want to thank Rob for sending the (printable) Mandolin Set-Up Ebook, recommended by so many of you. I've been perusing the book, and look forward to using it. For a copy, email rob.meldrum@gmail.com and put Mandolin Setup in the subject line (see the Original Post in this thread).
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

I'd like to add my thanks to Rob for creating and freely sharing such a great resource. I'm new to mandolin, having recently purchased a Kentucky KM-150 from Elderly. As expected, it was well set up on arrival, but Rob's e-book made it possible for me to check and confirm the measurements and to identify areas that could be improved further. After about a week of playing it with the original setup, I fine-tuned the nut slots and lowered the saddle a bit today, and even though the adjustments were minor, they still made a noticeable improvement in playability. Thanks, Rob, for making it possible for me to successfully work on and improve my instrument.