Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin Straps

Default Re: Mandolin Straps

Recently in the "free area" outside of a local thrift shop was a pile of assorted leather belts. I've since made at least two mandolin straps with them. They are useful for other applications too. It helps having an industrial sewing machine.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

When I was a kid my dad played bluegrass with the finest bluegrass mandolin player you've never heard of, an old guy named Runt Collins. Runt gave me one of his homemade straps before he died, but Runt was only about 4'8" and 100 lbs soaking wet, so I bought a saddle strap like he did and made my own. It just feels right to do it that way.

Eastman MD315 Mandolin
    '59 Gibson J-45 "Spot"
    '21 Gibson LG-2
    '94 Taylor 710
    '18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
    '22 Martin CEO7
    '15 Martin 000X1AE
    Fender Roadworn USA P-Bass "Big Al"

www.reverbnation.com/MickKyteMusic

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elmicko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Winfield View Post
    I would be interested in hearing about your favorite mandolin strap and who made it. I'm thinking of a braided strap but I'm a bit concerned about it stretching.

Thanks!
    Bill Bailey ! Fantastic straps ! I have owned four !

I love my strap from Sully Straps.

http://sullysstraps.com/

I used to be really envious of you folks in the US with the selection of good straps at hand,but we now have a great mando.strap maker in the UK,Rod Boyes at Pinegrove Leather in Hebbden Bridge,Yorkshire,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=rf37;1446149]I play an a and yes it interferes with me if tied to peg head. Here is what I do. I use a piece of parachord and tak it around the mandoli under the fret extension and the loop the strap through the paracord. Result equals that of a guitar strap button at the neck joint area but on a mandolin instead without having to drill a hole and no interference. [QUOTE=rf37;1446149]

I did pretty much the same thing, except I used a leather boot lace with a double half hitch. You can also get some adjustment in length that way by sliding the knot up and down the lace.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I used to be really envious of you folks in the US with the selection of good straps at hand,but we now have a great mando.strap maker in the UK,Rod Boyes at Pinegrove Leather in Hebbden Bridge,Yorkshire,
    Ivan
    Thanks for this one Ivan, haven't found a strap I really like so far in the Netherlands (and around), but these ones look pretty good! (Also saw on their website that you're involved in developing them, nice mando's )

Quote Originally Posted by Winfield View Post
    I would be interested in hearing about your favorite mandolin strap and who made it. I'm thinking of a braided strap but I'm a bit concerned about it stretching.

Thanks!
    WE have had good results with Cinghialetto straps from Italy : http://mandolin.it/CINGHIALETTO_STRAPS.html#4
    There is some sort of wire in the middle that prevents them from stretching.In the US I believe Carter's in Nashville stock them.
    A bouzouki version is also about to become available.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CINGHIA TIM.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	140645
    Kieran Moloney
    Musical Instruments
    http://moloneymusic.com

FPhil - My only 'involvement' was that i was looking for a good strap made in the UK & couldn't find one. I contacted 4 UK leather workers,& only Rod Boyes offered to make me one. As Rod wasn't too familiar with 'what was required',i sent him the details ie. length of the strap overall & the scroll loop dimensions - & that's the sum of my involvement. I paid for my strap like everybody else = no freebies. Fortunately,Rod's a guitarist himself & i think he realised the difficulties in sourcing mandolin straps over here. The music stores aren't exactly over-stocked with them !. His straps are excellent & he deserves the sales he gets,simply for being the only guy to step up to the plate !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan, I know exactly what you mean, haven't found a strap yet here I really like, now using a leather bootlace, but after an hour playing or so it's starts sawing in my shoulder... So I'm glad you got involved in someway with Rod making a strap, I ordered one yesterday, he directly contacted me, very nice guy.
    He also told me he'll be making banjo straps early next year, don't know if you're 'involved' with that also, but very interesting for banjo players here (which I am .

Flip

Yeah, at the risk of repetition (not the first time that's been done here on the MC), I'll chime in for the mandolin strap Rod Boyes crafts. Just the best. I've tried them all. Now, I don't even think about it, it's just there.

I had no idea that Rod was contemplating making banjo straps. I have a terrific strap for my Stelling which i've had as long as the banjo,made by 'Mountain Leatherworks,although i can't find a website for a company of that name that makes banjo straps - it was almost 30 years ago after all !.
    I might have a chat with Rod about his straps,especially how he intends the strap to attach to the banjo - no nasty dog lead clips - i hope !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I think something to think about is how you wear the strap...

Over the right shoulder only or guitar style on the left shoulder with your head through it?

I say this because I find that with the strap attached the head stock by the nut, the strap interferes with my fretting hand if worn over only the right shoulder. Over both shoulders offers more room for my fretting hand.

All of that to say that I LOVE my long hollow but it does seem to me to be a better strap for right shoulder wear. The wide part sits on top of the shoulder, whereas when on the left and head through position the wide spot is more across my back. Still comfortable either way. (I have been meaning to try it on a guitar and see how it does with that.
    "we should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here." -Edward Abbey

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

I wear my long hollow softy guitar style and the wide part is still over my shoulder. It does seem to be more centered using the right shoulder/machine gun style.

I make my own, a good quality 1" leather belt from Goodwill or dad. I have tried store bought straps, and hated all but the braided ones, and I still prefer my homemade. I like a good belt because the edges are finished or stitched, very well made and cheap. Make sure it is real top grain. If the leather is cracked, or the edges or backing look wierd, it is probably fake or vinyl coated. Trafalger is a very good brand if you can find them. 99% or what is at goodwill is junk, chose carefully. cut off the buckle with bolt cutters. the buckle end gets a leather shoelace the correct length to loop through the scroll or behind the nut (this works with A and F) Put the 2 ends of the shoelace together, and pack them through the hole that the buckle pin came out take one to the left and the other to the right, pull them through and tie them together. the end without the buckle gets a hole at the end and a slot cut with a razor. If the leather is too thick, you can use the razor to "skive" it. Basically thin the leather. This design can be adjusted infinitely for length (untie the shoelace and re-tie it) and can be taken on and off without taking it apart.

Blog Entries

I am enjoying my flat and braded Lakota mandolin straps. High quality, durable and comfortable.