Thread: Vintage Gibson Mandolin Help ID

Default Vintage Gibson Mandolin Help ID

I recently purchased this mandolin that has been untouched for years. I am not familiar with this type of mandolin, but I have heard of Gibson.

Can you please help me in identifying this model and put a value on it.
    It is a cool looking instrument that has playing usage on it.

Thanks for all of your expertise and help.

Ben.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fi224.cgi.jpeg 
Views:	293 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	139911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fi225.cgi.jpeg 
Views:	309 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	139912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fi226.cgi.jpeg 
Views:	310 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	139913  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fi227.cgi.jpeg 
Views:	267 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	139914  

Default Re: Vintage Gibson Mandolin Help ID

Gibson Florentine EM 200. Is that mold all over it? They're worth some money, but if that grunge is growing into the finish, you're looking at Superfund-level decontamination. That is going to have an impact on value, not to mention your health.

It appears to be a pre-1960 EM200 Electric Florentine.

In better condition it would have some collector value, especially since it has a black top in place of the more common sunburst. But given the repaired headstock, heavy wear and general neglect it's probably worth less than $2,000.

There may be a serial number stamped in the back of the headstock, which could help us determine the year of manufacture.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

agree. It's likely late 50's. And with black top does add to value. Should have some type of serial no. on back of headstock. Cleaned up it could be more than $2500.

I've had a few EM200's, and have gigged a lot with them. I don't think they ever made a black top... this is probably painted, isn't it?

Mandolin Bros. had a blacktop EM200 years ago that had belonged to Brian Setzer. They are very rare.

Which isn't to deny that this one could have been painted. Hard to tell what's going on in these low-resolution photos.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

How did it get so filthy in its case? Was the case left open in a barn for 50 years? Seems quite odd to me.

Or, as a man once told me at an antique store, "yeah, we don't charge extra for the dirt....."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    ...Or, as a man once told me at an antique store, "yeah, we don't charge extra for the dirt....."
    Only they call it "patina."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Wow! I never saw a blacktop one either. Very cool. Hmmmm... maybe I will paint mine.

The OP started a new thread with some updated photos for some odd reason. I am not sure why he just didn't post the photos here.

Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
    Thank you for all of your help in telling me it is a Gibson EM-200.
    I wiped the mandolin and took new photos for your review.
    I could only upload a few on this site, but the links are below for the album.

Any more helpful information would be great!
    Thanks again!

Ben
    jmac1585@gmail.com

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/mcgin5/Gibson/story
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I took more photos with a flash and found that the finish on the body is consistent with the head. The same crackling and look/feel.
    I believe this came black. Black wears down with play and just like the head and body, natural wood color can be seen in areas of wear.

I would like the experts to chime in. I do appreciate all of your help.

Ultimately I wish to sell this mandolin. Anyone interested, please message me.
    Thanks again

Ben
    http://s234.photobucket.com/user/mcgin5/Gibson/story
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b2c46353-1c1f-415b-960d-b79907b2bf2d_zpsojz8yuxj.jpg~original.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	139970   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35cf42f6-d41c-4224-bd63-54f9c808f838_zpsvr4lgpsu.jpg~original.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	139972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c25772f5-8705-458a-ba09-2ba6dd820090_zpsjwrhgi2v.jpg~original.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	139971  

filmmaker, with respect, experts have chimed in.
    Gail Hester

Um, yeah. You won't find anyone who knows more about EM200s than Tom Isenhour and Ken Waltham. And I know a fair amount about them myself.

What's to be done at this point is to have a repair technician look at it and see what help it might need in order to be playable. Tell us where you're located and someone will recommend a shop.

In near Chambersburg, PA 17201.

I appreciate your help. I will probably list this on eBay tonight.
    I would like to know before hand what it needs and if its playable, but I want to get it on to get exposure and interest.

Thanks again

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Um, yeah. You won't find anyone who knows more about EM200s than Tom Isenhour and Ken Waltham. And I know a fair amount about them myself.

What's to be done at this point is to have a repair technician look at it and see what help it might need in order to be playable. Tell us where you're located and someone will recommend a shop.

Why not just list it here in the Café classifieds? Very interesting mandolin....It's possible that it was originally a sunburst and the top was stripped prior to a black refin. Here's a shot of the back of my '56 F-12 that had the back sunburst re-shot with black (I'm convinced) at some point. The neck appears to be an F-5 maple neck from the 70's which Gibson(?) replaced and sprayed black to imitate the original 50's look and continued to do the back with the same black finish. It's checked like the finish in your pix above. It is an unusually shaped sunburst.

Name:	F-12BackClose052004.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	140004

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Last edited by lenf12; Oct-22-2015 at 6:27pm. Reason: add text

I wouldn't mind posting it here in the classifieds, however, I do not know a price to ask. And I don't want to ask way too much or way too little.

What do you think someone is willing to pay for this?

Thanks for your help

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    Why not just list it here in the Café classifieds? Very interesting mandolin....It's possible that it was originally a sunburst and the top was stripped prior to a black refin. Here's a shot of the back of my '56 F-12 that had the back sunburst re-shot with black (I'm convinced) at some point. It is an unusually shaped sunburst.

Name:	F-12BackClose052004.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	140004

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I would think that $1800 or so would garner a bit of interest, but it is all up to you. I'm guessing that Gibson refinished this mandolin at some point, perhaps as part of a repair order. Without documentation however, it's all speculation (and gut instincts) on my part.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

The value depends in good measure on whether it's the original finish. If it is definitely refinished, then it's worth $900 to $1200. If it's definitely not refinished, it's worth more. If there's some doubt as to whether it's refinished, then potential buyers will treat it as though it is refinished until established otherwise.

Maybe that's OK with you. If you picked it up for $250 and need a fast flip, you could probably get the refinished price on eBay and let the buyer worry about having it set up and examined. You'd still make some dough.

Ben, since you are asking for opinions, here ya go.....

Just thinking out loud......

Before, I'd take $900 for it, I'd part it out -- which are fightin' words on this forum, but we've seen mandolins "with issues" go for more than a nice one, when parted out.

Like I mentioned in another thread, you have a 50's Gibson Les Paul Junior jack plate that sells for $300, two Les Paul knobs $80, the wiring harness is also compatible with a 50's Les Paul Junior (two dated pots and a capacitor and jack) sell for $200. Truss rod cover is also correct for Les Paul Junior and sells for $50. Lots of people looking to restore old Les Paul Juniors.....perfect stuff for eBay.

In addition, the case would easily bring $100, pickup would bring $300-500 if it works, bridge would bring $100, tuners would be $150-200, pickguard is $150-275, and that leaves ya with the husk, which should bring $700-1000, I'm thinking......

That puts ya at $2500 on the low side.....a little more work, but I don't see anybody paying $2500 as she sits and ya might help some people restore several EM-200's and Les Paul Junior's.....

Anyway, that's what I would do and I would ONLY do it with an instrument that either shows a lot of wear or has been refinished.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Oct-22-2015 at 10:07pm.

Wow! That added up quick. I don't even know all of the parts you wrote down, but that is good to know. I appreciate the breakdown. If I were to go that route, what would it cost to take it to someone to take the parts off?
    I appreciate your input and information. Very helpful.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Ben, since you are asking for opinions, here ya go.....

Just thinking out loud......

Before, I'd take $900 for it, I'd part it out -- which are fightin' words on this forum, but we've seen mandolins "with issues" go for more than a nice one, when parted out.

I like mentioned in another thread, you have a 50's Gibson Les Paul Junior jack plate that sells for $300, two Les Paul knobs $80, the wiring harness is also compatible with a 50's Les Paul Junior (two dated pots and a capacitor and jack) sell for $200. Truss rod cover is also correct for Les Paul Junior and sells for $50. Lots of people looking to restore old Les Paul Juniors.....perfect stuff for eBay.

In addition, the case would easily bring $100, pickup would bring $300-500 if it works, bridge would bring $100, tuners would be $150-200, pickguard is $150-275, and that leaves ya with the husk, which should bring $700-1000, I'm thinking......

That puts ya at $2500 on the low side.....a little more work, but I don't see anybody paying $2500 as she sits and ya might help some people restore several EM-200's and Les Paul Junior's.....

Anyway, that's what I would do and I would ONLY do it with an instrument that either shows a lot of wear or has been refinished.

Parting it out might make sense if it were definitely refinished. If it were definitely not refinished, parting it out would be a mistake, methinks, given that black ones are so rare.

Parting out is something you do when you can't add value via restoration. If it were refinished, or the neck were broken, or if someone had carved out one side to resemble a profile of Richard Nixon, it would be appropriate to part this out. Otherwise, I wouldn't think so.

I sure as heck wouldn't pay $700 for a completely stripped EM200. Maybe $150.

An as-is eBay ad could give you a feel for what people are willing to pay. You can pull the ad later if you don't get any solid offers or bids.
    Last edited by mrmando; Oct-22-2015 at 9:43pm.

I've known of the black one mentioned above which was original so I can see another being made since they were made with the black Les Paul finish. You could custom order these. I'd say it's original just looking at it in those photos. The poor headstock repair is what kills the value on this one. Still like to know if it has a serial no. on back of headstock.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Still like to know if it has a serial no. on back of headstock.
    Nope, he's posted some more photos and there's no SN. But see the other thread, where Ken says all of the '50s EM200s he's owned were missing the SN, and he had to date them using pot codes.

Thank you for all of your help. Since the sale did not happen via eBay, I will be parting out this mandolin. Thanks again!

Bad idea to part it out. Just because it didn't sell the first time, don't give up. List it in the classifieds here and I bet you can sell it. You have to have some patience. When it sells you donate a small amount to the site.

Electric mandolins have a small customer interest but this one is a good one. Just my two cents.

I would have bought it but I have an EM-200 already.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1