Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibson EM-200 (Updated Photos)

Default Re: Gibson EM-200 (Updated Photos)

I am going to sell this Mandolin for parts since I could not secure a winning bid through eBay. Thanks for all of your help!

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

That's a shame just put it on ebay at $0.99 and let it sell for what it is worth
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

3. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    That's a shame just put it on ebay at $0.99 and let it sell for what it is worth
    +1

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Nash the Slash's emando collection? That would be a treasure trove I would love to have a peek at! I was a huge fan back in the 1970's and 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    Seller has relisted the EM-200 on eBay with a 99 cent starting bid. That usually creates some excitement, it is already at $200+, however, I'm sure it will peter out far below $1799 that the seller wants. I hope to be proven wrong. eBay is hit or miss with this kind of stuff. Everybody is looking for a bargain. It is rare, but the condition is holding it back. I think a lot of bidders would love to have it for $400-500, myself included. I think if it was hanging in a Nashville vintage shop, it would sell to a pro for $1799, IMHO -- it has a great "coolness" factor and let's face it, it allows mandolin players to use fuzz pedals and guitar amps!

Anyway, time will tell. And, the seller can always yank the auction in the last 24 hours if it doesn't look like the bids are going anywhere. I stand by my original posting that it is worth $2500, parted out. It would be financially irresponsible to sell it for a 1/3 to 1/2 of that on "principle". I say that having 16 years eBay experience and another 35+ years of "horse trading" instruments and other collectibles. Like the old sign read, "this ain't no MUSEUM, this stuff's for SALE!!!"

I clearly remember 20 years ago, working at a vintage guitar shop and noticed the "beater" 50's Stratocasters and Les Paul's were $1500-3500 when a nice one was bringing $25-30K. $1500 seemed like a lot of money for a beat-up guitar, back then. Well, enter the eBay generation, right or wrong, some genius figured out the parts on the beater guitar were the same as on the $30K guitar..................guess what? You don't see a lot of beater strats and les pauls these days, do ya?

I decided to let it start at .99 cents. I really would like to get close to my original number, but I'll let the eBay marketplace decide the value. I hope it finds a good home. Thanks again

Fair play to you, Filmmaker. It's none of my business, of course, but I appreciate your gesture. Not sure why "financial responsibility" (whatever that is ) and "principle" are inimicable. Good fortune to you with the auction.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

You never know what it will end at, always the last few seconds you get the highest bids. I'll bid but i know i can't afford what it will end at.
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster

Quote Originally Posted by JH Murray View Post
    Nash the Slash's emando collection? That would be a treasure trove I would love to have a peek at! I was a huge fan back in the 1970's and 80's.
    Well, it turns out the collection in question was only his four emandos by Toronto luthier Vladimir Bosnar, including the famous "skull mando." Nash did own an EM200 at one point but I guess I don't know what color it was. Anyhow...
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

In this early video of 1976 he is playing the EM200. It looks like it has a brown finish, at about 5:55.
    Last edited by JH Murray; Nov-02-2015 at 10:14pm. Reason: added date

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Not sure why "financial responsibility" (whatever that is ) and "principle" are inimicable. Mick
    The OP states in his eBay listing that he is a picker and recently picked this up at an estate sale. "Picker" meaning one who buys and sells antiques and collectibles, NOT a mandolin or guitar picker, just to be clear. Think "American Pickers" tv show. Obviously bought for the purpose of resale, not to keep and play. "Financial responsibility" also known as logic, would say that you would want to get the most money for your items as possible, since you bought them for resale.

OTOH, if you are cleaning out a closet and find something you've had for years and sell it on eBay -- money may not be the motivating factor, as much as just getting rid of it. Not the case, here.

"Principle" in this case actually means pleasing the principles of others who believe an instrument should not be parted out, for any reason. As I stated in a previous posting about this same instrument, I personally would only part out an instrument if it shows a ton of wear, has been damaged or if it had been refinished. This one shows a ton of wear, so it qualifies, IMHO. Also, as stated in other postings on this subject, parting out a rare instrument allows others with nice original instruments to buy parts for their restoration, in effect, one instrument parted out can result in SEVERAL instruments being restored. A good thing.

Your mileage may vary.

Maybe the person you wins it will part ot out
    Kiso Suzuki V900,

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    The OP states in his eBay listing that he is a picker and recently picked this up at an estate sale. "Picker" meaning one who buys and sells antiques and collectibles, NOT a mandolin or guitar picker, just to be clear. Think "American Pickers" tv show. Obviously bought for the purpose of resale, not to keep and play. "Financial responsibility" also known as logic, would say that you would want to get the most money for your items as possible, since you bought them for resale.

OTOH, if you are cleaning out a closet and find something you've had for years and sell it on eBay -- money may not be the motivating factor, as much as just getting rid of it. Not the case, here.

"Principle" in this case actually means pleasing the principles of others who believe an instrument should not be parted out, for any reason. As I stated in a previous posting about this same instrument, I personally would only part out an instrument if it shows a ton of wear, has been damaged or if it had been refinished. This one shows a ton of wear, so it qualifies, IMHO. Also, as stated in other postings on this subject, parting out a rare instrument allows others with nice original instruments to buy parts for their restoration, in effect, one instrument parted out can result in SEVERAL instruments being restored. A good thing.

Your mileage may vary.
    Financial Responsibility = Make the Most Money I Can in All Situations = Logic? There's a sound principle, clearly articulated.

But principles are, of course, things that other people have.

Yeah, my mileage varies. But this is neither my mandolin, nor my thread, nor my dog in any fight.

Keep on pickin', vato.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    But this is neither my mandolin, nor my thread, nor my dog in any fight.
    Me neither, NFI, but as close as I get to following the "stock" market........

It's at $635 with less than 6 hours to go. Still a deal for somebody.

Finished at $1,436.22.

At that price, me thinks someone knew it was original black finish and not worthy of parting out.