Thread: Case for Lyon & Healy Professional A-style?

Default Case for Lyon & Healy Professional A-style?

First time posting here! Excited to be part of this amazing community.

I am the fortunate winner of a L&H A-style mandolin (which I saw got some attention in Sept when the seller posted a thread). The case it came with, though, is not in good shape, so I am turning to experts at the Cafe who may be able to help. It seems there are other L&H A owners on the Cafe, and maybe you may know which modern case would be good? I would prefer a light-weight and compact case, though also need protection for traveling. My Gator featherweight fits my Gibson A but not the L&H.

Thank you for your input!

Default Re: Case for Lyon & Healy Professional A-style?

What do you mean "winner"? And to which thread do you refer?

Mandolin Bros. had an original L&H case on eBay but it looks like it was sold. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mand...-/252120251752

I recall a recent Eastman fiberglass shaped case being an excellent fit for a Style B I once had, but those cases are next to impossible to find these days. Although there is one on eBay at the moment... http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291590870598
    Last edited by mrmando; Oct-23-2015 at 3:21pm.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Mandolin & Mandola maker

I would get a custom case made. Try Cedar Creek cases or Presto cases, and there are others. I used a Presto case for my Lyon and Healy reproduction.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Ah, we're talking about No. 754, are we not? So does it or does it not have a neck crack?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Oops, sorry folks, I hadn't visited for a while and hadn't realized that you had replied to my post! Thank you!

This is indeed the 754. I "won" it on eBay, had it tuned up by a local luthier, and have been playing it happily ever since. The luthier said he also thought the neck crack was there, although to my untrained eye the crack only seems to be on the one side so I do wonder if it may be something else happening. At any rate, whatever it is it does not budge and has not affected the tone or playability at all.

In the end I bought a Gator case for a tenor ukulele that fits it perfectly.

Thanks again!