Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bill Keith Passes

Default Re: Bill Keith Passes

One important LP he was part of was 1974 Muleskinner - A Potpourri Of Bluegrass Jam.
    Went back and listened to this (for the first time in a looong while) and was struck by some of the grooves:

- Dawg's emotive solo on Cold Rain & Snow - noted out in that excellent little book Recorded BG Solos 1966-1976
    - The drums on Soldier's Joy - Dawg notated out his solo in a FRETS issue
    - The banjo/mando intro and dim chord on Blue Mule

I still faintly recall the feeling I would get when listening to this record back in the day. It was very hip.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Bill Keith is one of those guys who was in the right place at the right time doing the right thing with the right people again and again for many years. He was a crucial piece of the puzzle, yet somehow fit in so well he escaped wide recognition for his achievements. He showed up in a wide range of contexts, live and on recordings. I've seen him a few times, though it was always the others on the stage that I was going to see. But his skill as a team player was something that impressed me and stayed with me.

His name comes up a lot here, even in a thread currently running. It's so strange to get this news while thinking about him. He's going to live forever in these discussions.

Heartfelt wishes to his family and friends. RIP, Bill Keith. Thanks for all the music.
    Well said. Very well said.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

3. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Spot on Olaf! And I'll always remember Bill Keith playing 'Nola'.
    Last edited by RichieK; Oct-26-2015 at 11:21am. Reason: Spelling

I am always impressed at the knowledge shared here, I thought that was the "Fern" but was (obviously) unsure of Clarence's guitar! Thanks so much.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

bass player gone mando

Wow ... just hearing this now. RIP Bill. I can't say I knew him well, exactly, but we crossed paths in several ways -

- we both played on one track of C.B. Smith's album "Flesh and Bone" - a tune called "Who I Am." (I was on upright bass.) However, Bill added his (excellent) banjo track after the rest of the band had put down their tracks, so I didn't meet him then.

- played between sets of the Saturday Night Bluegrass Band's, his Woodstock-based bluegrass band, gigs at the Bearsville Theater in Bearsville NY.

- I liked his bluegrass band so much that we hired them to play at our daughter's wedding in upstate NY. A rock band came later in the evening, but Bill and his band did all the music between the ceremony itself and the dancing later.

- I met his son Martin Keith several times when Martin worked at Joe Veillette's luthier shop in Woodstock. Martin is out on his own as a luthier now. Great bass player and quite a luthier in his own right.

Memories ... Bill was one of the greats for sure.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

Bill Keith was a musical giant. He changed the landscape of bluegrass music and banjo playing in so many wonderful ways and spawned so many amazing disciples that his contribution to American music is incalculable. He also was my dear friend for over half a century and a mentor and colleague. I was fortunate to have a final visit with him the day before he left to receive his well deserved award. I am so privileged to have known him and will cherish the years of music we shared until the end of my days.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dawg For This Useful Post:

I'm just catching up, after being closely involved for the last few months with my dear friend Bill and his journey.

I'd like to belatedly share my Bill Keith Tribute Page.
    It contains lots of audio and video recordings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BillKeith-InMemory-FredRobbins.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	140165

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robbif For This Useful Post: