Thread: Need Advice on Case Options for Mando/Fiddle Players

Default Need Advice on Case Options for Mando/Fiddle Players

I'm trying to find a more efficient way to carry my mando and violin around locally to gigs, jams etc. I've seen some combo hardshell cases but they look kind of crappy. Maybe I should just get some good soft cases instead? Currently I'm carrying my large violin case and Weber hardshell case which is not very efficient. I'm open to suggestions but ideally I'd like something light and portable which still offers reasonable protection from bangs, falls, etc. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need Advice on Case Options for Mando/Fiddle Players

I have investigated this a bit. The commonly available not too expensive combo cases available at Musician's Friend etc., are good enough for on site car to gig case, but not, for example, checked baggage, but I think they are ugly, and they are heavy. Over 12 lbs. A nicer combo case, though more expensive, and better protection, made by Bobelock, was even heavier. 16 lbs. or more if I remember correctly. I think this is a big opportunity for a carbon fiber combo case.

I don't know anyone who makes a soft side combo cases. I would be interested myself if someone knows of one.

Until then, I carry separately.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I usually am carrying at least two instruments; any combo of a low range instrument (mandocello, guitar or banjo) and a higher range instrument (mandolin, mandola or fiddle) to any given jam. If I'm going to a gig there is a lot more gear. Since there is no readily available case combo to cover these combinations, and since I may bring 3-4 instruments to a solo gig I use a collapsible rolling cart and ratchet straps/bungees to carry it all to a gig. If I'm just carrying instruments I can handle it as I've added shoulder straps to the smaller instrument cases.

Everett Lilly could have used a combo case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Everett_Lilly.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	140119  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

5. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

gtani7 

I wonder how it would be to have a case made for a double mandolin using a company such as this one?

http://www.phillycase.com/content/custom-shipping-cases

I don't mean the interior, just the shell. One could configure the foam, glue, upholstery, then finish the interior once the case has been made. Might be cost effective and possible not too heavy.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Blog Entries

That or Pelican cases. With a customizable interior one could craft a sturdy protective combo case. But heavy. You could send such a case across the country, but not enjoy hauling it out of the car.

The entire staff
    funny....

Well looks like combo cases are probably not the way to go... too bad. I think I'm just gonna get two lightweight cases for carrying around town. Any recommendations on brand?

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

The Guardian Case , manufacturers of the Musicians Friend case mentioned earlier are indeed fine for local in hand transport. The Bobelock version is better built and as pointed out above a little heavier. Neither Calton nor Hoffee are building a combination mandolin fiddle case currently ... unless they have started to in the past few months. I have been using my Bobelock case for many years and have had no trouble with it. The padding and structure material of the Guardian is slightly thinner than the Bobelock so I generally leave that one at home. The Calton is quite heavy and I only use it when I am flying in case, ta dum, my instruments get kicked into baggage from carry on. The Guardian and Bobelock are set up with D rings so a back pack type strap can be used with either. The advantage of having two things to carry far outweighs Har har being stuck carrying three cases. There is a sheet music pocket in the top of the Guardian and Bobelock cases both have room inside for a shoulder rest and three small pockets for rosin etc. Gig bags are not cases and as such offer minimal protection to an instrument. Think about what you want from your case....... R/
    Last edited by UsuallyPickin; Oct-27-2015 at 2:10pm. Reason: added thought
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I have a leather Reunion Blues mandolin case that I really love. Light weight, great protection, looks absolutely killer.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Another option, if you are handy, and if the old time vibe is appropriate, is to find cases at antique stores. There are usually some acceptable violin cases to find, mandolin cases are a bit harder. Not the greatest protection, but for carrying from the car to the gig they may be just the answer.

A friend of mine, fiddler, got an old fiddle case and did a steampunk make over on the thing. It is really cool looking, especially when he hangs it over his shoulder.

The entire staff
    funny....

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I used to carry my mandolin with my guitar with a double guitar soft bag i put alittle extra padding around the mandolin it work great it could be used for violin and mandolin. I used one like this. Doesn't cost much either

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Electri.../dp/B003ENA2XK
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    A nicer combo case, though more expensive, and better protection, made by Bobelock, was even heavier. 16 lbs. or more if I remember correctly.
    Here's the Bobelock combo case which they say weighs 10 lbs. I would think the two separate cases might be about the same weight.

I have a ProTec double violin case which is nice and light and protective. When I lived in New York City and often took the subway I wanted something more compact. Now I live in the country and usually drive to gigs and elsewhere so I just get good straps for the instrument cases. I love these case straps that Shar sells. I usually wait when they have sales. I have a few of them.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Gretsch makes a Double Concert Ukulele Gig Bag don't know if it's big anougth if you look hard anougth there are always other options
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

You really need to sideline that Weber "Fern" case,they're monstrously heavy - i know,i own one !!. Go for a Travelite case if you can get one for it.They're light,well padded inside & on the outside as well.There's plenty of room for 'bits & pieces' in them & used with one or 2 shoulder straps,the weight almost vanishes. The outer heavy duty ballistic grade Nylon covering is as tough as hell & there's nothing to scratch or chip. The only other case i'd go for is a Gator "F" style case - my own Fern is currently in one,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gator mandolin case (2).jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	140146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5 in new case1.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	140147
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.