Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to play

Blog Entries

Default where to play

It is a real conundrum.

I have two or three pieces worked up to an acceptable level. I would like to play them out somewhere, but there just doesn’t seem to be the venues for this stuff. If it were folkie stuff there are any number of places I could play it, including open mics, coffeehouses, church basements, and indulgent after jam parties. But classical is such a different culture. I am not good enough for even the casual classical enthusiast with professional expectations, yet I can (finaly) carry the music competently and perhaps even musically.

So you folks who play classical for fun outside of an established mandolin orchestra, where do you get out in front of people and play?

Or am I thinking about this entirely wrong?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

2. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Default Re: where to play

I play classical guitar pieces sometimes at openings of exhibitions (vernissages). The art crowd is not overly critical when it comes to music, so the public is more sympathetic than the typical classical concert public.
    There are usually two introductory speeches, so the number of three pieces is ideal. One before the first speaker, one between the speakers, and one after the second speaker, when people can't wait to go for a walk looking at the pictures.

I have played classical pieces at coffeehouses and open mics. I would not worry too much about other people's concern about genre. More than likely they will appreciate it and mandolins are generally considered a folk instrument anyway. Play away!! Let us know how it goes.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I agree with Jim. Open mics are exactly that.

I've even witnessed someone win a vote at one open mic for a vocal performance featuring himself and a little device which would repeat 5-second phrases. He laid down a vocal bassline and sang on top of it.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

There's always the local park bench! There, folks are free to acknowledge you or ignore you, appreciate you or ignore you, applaud you or ignore you, or just flat-out ignore you. It's unlikely that any, other than maybe an actual classical musician who's unlikely to play mandolin anyway, will attempt to critique you... but even that's likely to be a fairly cordial / enthusiastic conversation.

OTOH... While waiting for my wife to pack her stuff, I once played in front of our motel room in Vermont. As a young couple came down the outdoor stairs over my head, I overheard, "Wow, this place has a great-sounding stereo system!" Ten seconds later we all had a good laugh, but I still think that was a pretty nice complement!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Open mics you can play anything you want.also like said already a park bench works great i play lots of places and people come up and give me money even tho i have no case or cup out. I say i don't need it but they usually insist, saying i enjoyed your playing
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Blog Entries

I have a Vivaldi worked up, the Concerto for Violin in Am, the first movement anyway, with piano accompaniment. And I have the Gigue section of Victor Kioulaphides Suite for Ali. Both are audience ready.

Not nearly up to the speeds one can hear on the internet, but moving along nonetheless. Every version of the Gigue I hear is so outrageously fast that its hard to hear the jig inside bouncing along. I cannot do it at that speed, (I can't do anything at those speeds) but in addition, I don't think it needs to be done at that speed to be a lot of fun. And the Vivaldi is at a good enough clip to be danceable. I know its not a dance, but its at the speed that makes one's body feel like dancing along. Its not up to Avi Avital's soaring velocity, but there are recordings out there at the speed I play it.

I was thinking that if I can get say five or six more pieces up and running, I could do incidental music at a restaurant, or the openings of art exhibitions. I need to be able to talk some folks into it.

But if there a kind of classical oriented coffeehouse atmosphere. That would be ideal.

The entire staff
    funny....

Nursing homes, retirement campuses, etc, accomodate art music. I used to do these with classical guitar - now playing harp. Also - receptions, 'wine tastings,' special events such as what have been mentioned. Anywhere a solo player can command attention, or generally be heard and/or appreciated.. I find that the aforementioned are most favorable: audiences are attentive, polite, often knowledgeable, and the rooms are quiet and comfortable - much like a concert environment.

Blog Entries

Have you thought about sharing a gig with other classical players and put on a mixed performance? We do that over this side of the pond a bit.
    Also if you have a decent downtown area a weekday lunchtime concert is a great way of putting on a short set without having to do a whole evenings worth of music at a high level. These are often performances by people who are good amateur or music university level.They tend to happen in churches and are used as regular fund-raising channels from a collection on exit.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Also - receptions, 'wine tastings,' special events such as what have been mentioned. .
    That is a good idea. There are several wineries west of hear. I should make some phone calls.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    It is a real conundrum.

I have two or three pieces worked up to an acceptable level. I would like to play them out somewhere, but there just doesn’t seem to be the venues for this stuff. If it were folkie stuff there are any number of places I could play it, including open mics, coffeehouses, church basements, and indulgent after jam parties. But classical is such a different culture. I am not good enough for even the casual classical enthusiast with professional expectations, yet I can (finaly) carry the music competently and perhaps even musically.

So you folks who play classical for fun outside of an established mandolin orchestra, where do you get out in front of people and play?

When Lou Chouinard and I formed Duo Borealis, we had the same conundrum as we play mostly classical and all things most people have never heard before. A bass-playing friend of ours encouraged us to hit the coffee-shop/indie restaurant/art festival/park board supported summer concert series.

We've hit all of those venues these past 4 years and got pulled into a last minute gig to provide music for a small wedding out in the Japanese Gardens at Como Park. I also played with a quartet in the entry way of a small co-op grocery store.

The only venue I've not landed is at a farmer's market - these days mostly because our weekends are tied up.

As people don't often hear mandolins in the wild as it were, their ears perk up. I'd definitely busk on the Stone Arch Bridge if I thought my solo mandolin work was good enough!

Go for it! And good luck!
    Dotty

I have a Vivaldi worked up, the Concerto for Violin in Am, the first movement anyway, with piano accompaniment. And I have the Gigue section of Victor Kioulaphides Suite for Ali. Both are audience ready.

Not nearly up to the speeds one can hear on the internet, but moving along nonetheless. Every version of the Gigue I hear is so outrageously fast that its hard to hear the jig inside bouncing along. I cannot do it at that speed, (I can't do anything at those speeds) but in addition, I don't think it needs to be done at that speed to be a lot of fun. And the Vivaldi is at a good enough clip to be danceable. I know its not a dance, but its at the speed that makes one's body feel like dancing along. Its not up to Avi Avital's soaring velocity, but there are recordings out there at the speed I play it.

I was thinking that if I can get say five or six more pieces up and running, I could do incidental music at a restaurant, or the openings of art exhibitions. I need to be able to talk some folks into it.

But if there a kind of classical oriented coffeehouse atmosphere. That would be ideal.
    On coffeeshops - the espresso machines are TREMENDOUSLY loud. The one we tend to hit is near a private university so often there are students there studying. It's a great way to play in front of people who are buried in their laptops and might occasionally look up and applaud. VERY low pressure way to work out the glitches in your performance and begin to overcome any performance nerves before hitting other venues where people might actually pay more attention.

On the other hand, the baristas at this coffee shop tell us they LIKE us because we play at a volume that doesn't rattle the dishware.

You might want to consider sound reinforcement at restaurants, coffeeshops and outdoors.
    Dotty

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Farm markets are always looking for musicians, but they rarely pay. Last resort you can just go play on the street, maybe you will make some money. There is a classical violinist here in my town that plays on the main street sidewalk. She often makes $125.00 per day.....during lunch hour.
    Living’ in the Mitten

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Busking is a good idea. Just the right season for it...

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

17. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Busking is a pretty tough gig for 'classical' music. Many enjoy it, but beware - if you've not experienced it, there are typically many variables at play. Generally, your acoustic instrument's sound is no match for the waves of auto traffic. Foot malls are a better option here, for sure; still, in the great outdoors - the subtleties in this music may quickly recede.

I prefer to play with a roof over my head - most days - sheltering from the elements. I also came to be spoiled - by playing in rooms that are mostly quiet: really a luxury when playing this type of music. People listening attentively is an added bonus - and something I've found particularly gratifying

Blog Entries

What I like about a more classical oriented performance is that I tell them in the promotional material what they are going to hear, they come because that is what they want to hear. My job is simple, just do what I said I was going to. Those that wanted something else did not come.

Far different from the folkie/Americana performance, where I have to figure out what they are going to like, and be all stagey and jocular.

The entire staff
    funny....

Yes that makes sense. I understand the desire to essentially exert more (some? ) overall control over some of these environmental issues in performing. Well this is something that appeals to me, as well, and why I enjoy having a generally familiar audience - particularly for my solo performing. With band stuff - not much concern there, and the audience could be pretty much anything..

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I think an open mic is a good place to start. People tend to be receptive, the management won't care (they're not paying you so they have no expectations), and you'll gain performing experience, plus pick up a few ideas about what works and doesn't, and other aspects of performing that will help you in more challenging situations.

The next step might be gallery openings, wine tastings, venues like that, providing background music of the sort people expect in such situations. These run for about two hours, so you don't have to have a whole lot of material, and you can probably repeat some pieces as well. Once you build up enough material you could try getting hired to play in nice restaurants. What I'm doing - playing mostly Italian restaurant in a Mediterranean/Caribbean bistro - works because the style suits the venue. It's pretty specialized, though. Classical music is probably more welcome in a wider range of restaurant styles, most likely high end ones. It might be a bit strange at first, playing in public yet not trying to attract attention or even get applause (though, hopefully, some tips), but you'll get used to it. Concentrate on your playing, and feel successful about playing well, however that is defined. You'll find reasons to feel satisfaction.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

It is a real conundrum.

What I like about a more classical oriented performance is that I tell them in the promotional material what they are going to hear, they come because that is what they want to hear. My job is simple, just do what I said I was going to. Those that wanted something else did not come.
    I've been involved in certain performance arts where people often get business cards *very* early in.

You went from having two or three pieces worked up to an acceptable level, to devising promotional material, in less than 27 hours.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Ha! Good point. And this is from someone who has often eschewed public performance, preferring casual just-for-fun gatherings. Perhaps paying too much attention to all the positive postings about playing out, and it's turned his head. Well, hope it works out!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

What it is is that I am finding classical music to be a more lonesome pursuit. No jams, and no mandolin ensembles within a four or five hour drive.

So, resigned that performance is really the only thing you can do with this stuff, I started looking around and was struck by how unplugged I am in the classical world. I am just not seeing the choices.

My approach has been to just work at it, and to spur me on I occasionally commit to performing at a coffeehouse open mike type arrangement, where I pretty much know everyone anyway. (Its a lot like playing in front of family, in all the good ways, but also in all the other ways.)
    Last edited by JeffD; Oct-29-2015 at 10:06am.

The entire staff
    funny....

25. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Yet another suggestion...you could set yourself up for a recital of sorts. Sometimes a small church is a welcoming and decent venue. As suggested earlier in the thread, maybe combine efforts with another classical player regardless of instrument. Just a thought...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Back in my teens, the studio where I studied classical guitar regularly arranged recitals for students to develop performance skills - since performing is an aspect of the art. Network around to find whose teaching, and what/where opportunities exist. Perhaps contact the classical guitar and violin teachers in your area to inquire -

Does your town do events such as First Friday, Art Walk, gallery/atelier tours or other means of regular events or affairs promoting the arts and/or galleries? I would suggest networking among these folks -

*Or as Mike above suggests

Regardless of your religious preferences or lack thereof, many churches are happy to have guest musicians. Preludes, offertories, and communion music are just a few possibilities in more structured services. The lack of lyrics gives you some leeway...
    Chuck

Blog Entries

I do the Vivaldi with a piano accompaniment, and I am trying to bribe the pianist into performing somewhere.

I worked with my fiddle teacher on a lot of Mazas duets. When I wanted to pursue classical we played together violin and mandolin. The different ways the two instruments make sound really works together, and the Mazas had a lot of "call and response" sections that were awesome. The fiddle teacher moved away and so I am in need of a duet partner. But this is an option.

Two people or more people playing classical together might be easier to promote.

The entire staff
    funny....