Thread: Shaping and Reshaping Picks

Default Shaping and Reshaping Picks

I recently bought a 'like-new' Blue Chip CT-55 through the Classifieds. I already have a CT-55, but thought it might be nice to have a spare.

The first thing I noticed was how wonderfully crisp it sounds and feels on the strings. Just to make sure it wasn't my imagination, I 'blind-tested' them over and over. No problem telling which one was the new one.

Upon closer inspection, it's easy to see that the edges of the old one have become dulled. Evidently, even the mighty Blue Chip is subject to wear if you use it long enough.

So, anyone out there ever tried to reshape or recondition a Blue Chip pick? The B.C. website suggests that reshaping can be done using wet-dry sandpaper. I've done this with other picks with varying success. I'd hate to mess up a 30 dollar pick.

Is there a recommended method get back that clean bevel and point?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Shaping and Reshaping Picks

I've never yet worked on a Blue Chip pick - but I have worked on many others, made my own of various materials and mostly it depends on the material itself as to which tools work best to get a good professional finish to your picks.

I even made them on my Dad's jewelry bench in the 70's, out of thick plexiglass. Along the way I've reshaped, smoothed and sharpened a lot of other picks, including a recent bout with JT's. The shape I wanted is molded a tiny bit too round, and that responded to various grades of basic sandpaper.

from the Blue Chip faqs:

"You can reshape the material by standard methods. Using sandpaper, I would suggest starting out with 220 and then 400 and then 600 and finally 1000.
    The black wet and dry sandpaper works the best if you use it with a steady stream of water that will keep the paper clean."

Wet sanding and using very fine paper (1000!!) seem to be called for. Good luck.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

These work well......

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/150...ng-sticks.aspx

You can also look for similar abrasive sticks at your local drug store in the nail care section.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

Hey Clark! How the neck have you been? It's been along time. So do you recommended the blue chip? I am searching for a pick that will provide more control and less pick click noise. Always wondered about BC.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

7. The following members say thank you to Londy for this post:

Decades ago when I just played guitar, I started tweaking and beveling picks in an attempt to make them "flatpick" faster. I would just rub the working edges of the pick against a small Arkansas hard-stone (normally for knife sharpening). Plus, I drill holes in the picks for better a grip, if needed. I've pretty much always done it that way. From my new experiences with Blue Chips, I don't think they'll need any altering.

9. The following members say thank you to WW52 for this post:

I recently modified a Blue Chip from sharp point to round point and put the beveled edge on it by using fine grit wet dry sandpaper. I think if you take your time you can match the bevel. I finished mine with 2000 grit to a scratch free finish.

11. The following members say thank you to mrmoonray for this post:

I use fingernail emery boards to shape the points, and increasingly fine grades of micromesh polishing cloths to put a glossy, polished edge on my BCs on those rare occasions when they develop a little wear.

13. The following members say thank you to jmagill for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

It is interesting that, in this case, wear means "going dull".

My Ultex picks wear down very quickly (visible difference from new after 1 hour of playing), but the wear shapes a pronounced shallow bevel and actually makes the pick sharper. I play the same corner of a triangle with increasing crispiness (crispositon? crispitality?) until there's a crack and I move on to the next corner.
    I can only guess that this is due to my rather flat attack angle (almost zero).
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Thanks to all for the responses and suggestions. It's really not so much the finishing/smoothing of the pick surface that I'm concerned about, as it is getting the proper, precise angle of the original bevel and point. I think those little Micro-Mesh sticks (Thanks for the link Charles E.)might be of help.

I'm thinking about building a little jig with the proper angle built into it. Something I can clamp the pick to and make the reshaping process a little more dummy-proof. Or maybe I should just learn to hold the pick like Mr. Henze and sharpen them the old fashioned way.

dont they, BC, do that if you send it back to them?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

18. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

I use MicroMesh for shaping my picks. I haven't used it on a BC, though. I've also used emory boards (with 4 sides and 6 different grits), but they loose their bite pretty quick. The MicroMesh stuff is expensive, but seems to last forever (and it's also great for polishing frets).

For shaping the tips/bevels, I use/combine different techniques that give different effects. If I want a very plane bevel, I lay the MicroMesh on the edge of the table or back it up with a flat stick of hardwood (a bit thicker and wider than a popsickle stick). If I want the bevel more rounded and for polishing, I put the MicroMesh on a piece of felt, lay it on my thigh or just back it up with a thumb or finger. I flip the sides of the pick after every couple of strokes to maintain symmetry. I frequently check the results by looking at how the light reflects on the various surfaces and by holding it in front of a contrasting piece of paper. A magnifying glass also helps. My wife says I look like a mad scientist when I make picks. This is actually exactly how I feel... maybe add a bit of voodoo priest and Ludwig van Beethoven...

Before working on a $35 Bluechip, I would maybe practise on a few other picks first. Maybe get a D'Andrea ProPlec large triangle and try to shape the tips exactly as on the CT55.

Peter

Maybe my ears aren't fine tuned enough, I never found the need to reshape the edge of any pick.
    I've been using Golden Gates for many years; they work just fine out of the baggie they
    were shipped in, and sound just as good today as they did yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    Maybe my ears aren't fine tuned enough, I never found the need to reshape the edge of any pick.
    I've been using Golden Gates for many years; they work just fine out of the baggie they
    were shipped in, and sound just as good today as they did yesterday.
    The Golden Gate is fine as it is, if that's what you like. The edge is well rounded, there's no need to polish or to work it over. I'd be perfectly happy with it - however, I'm not into rounded triangles. Many picks that I like come with sloppy edges (like Dunlop Delrin 500 or Big Stubby) some picks are too pointed, so I round the tip a bit (e.g. Dunlop Ultex Sharp 2.0 - there is just no other Ultex in standard shape with 2.0 mm), some picks sound too dull out of the box (e.g. D'Andrea ProPlec), so I taper or bevel the edge. I also make my own picks from delrin, celluloid and acrylic. It's fun to experiment with different pick shapes, tip shapes, edges, bevels, holes, materials... whatever. I also have phases where I'm totally happy with a Fender Classic XH, but then comes the time to get out the jigsaw, file and sandpaper...

Different strokes for different folks...

Peter

22. The following members say thank you to DroneAlone for this post:

Dredging up an old topic. This shaping pics business is a frustrating me due to my decision to put my BC in my pocket with keys. Now I've chipped the edges on all three sides. I used steel wool to start but realize that BC is a very hard material and needs actual abrasives to make it work.

Does anyone have any updated techniques to restore the radial edge of the pick? I'm open to all suggestions. Specifically now to get rid of chips and reshape the 180 degree radius..

As a side note I've discovered I was not paying enough attention to what I think are the four anchors of tone:

Tuning (duh! but it can't be overstated how important it is to have the pair of strings pitched identically)
    Frets (again, duh! but having flat spots makes fret contact unpredictable)
    Strings (yes, they need to be changed!) I remember a page that may still be on MC, don't sell it before you change the strings and reevaluate the mandolin...
    Setup - you axe is made of wood. It changes and breathes. There is nothing like a fresh setup from a knowledgeable luthier.
    Pick edge - the edge needs to be smooth or it creates inconsistent string release

Sorry for ranting. Isolation is causing a need to yell into the abyss.

From the Blue Chip website FAQ:

You can reshape the material by standard methods. Sandpaper can be used. We would suggest starting out with 220 and then 400 and then 600 and 1000. The black wet and dry sandpaper works the best, if you use it with a steady stream of water that will keep the paper clean. Be advised that this material is difficult to shape.

Hope this helps.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

I've modified the Fender 346 picks by treating them like my fingertnails, same tools ..

diamond sintered fingernail files are handy..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Those have to be some sharp/heavy keys!

I've done it with a diamond file that's sold for sharpening knnives and ski edges but the results weren't great. Why don't you ask about sending them back in at https://bluechippick.net/contact-us/

I watched the Goines bros reshape picks last year at Wintergrass (they weren't there this year), they're obviously better at it than anybody else
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

When my long-haired Weiner dog was a puppy she chewed up my only BC pick pretty bad. Teeth like needles. I just sent it back to Mr.Goins at BC. He did a great job restoring it's edges and mostly got out the deep puncture marks. Glad she didn't swallow it.

I have sent Red Bears thru the washing machine. Not good. They are way easier than BCs to reshape/finish.

Those micro mesh sticks look like the ticket!

PS:Same little animal chewed up my Dudenbostel maple peg winder til it looked like wet kindlin. Mr.D fixed it up just fine.