Thread: Found and shared.

Blog Entries

Default Found and shared.

Don't get your knickers in a bunch..... Want on T-shirt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0552.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	140364

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Found and shared.

I'm sure cruelty to banjo players is against Cafe guidelines 'somewhere' - Isn't it ?????,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

4. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I often wonder if the artists who painted the originals of much-mashed-up pictures would be
    - proud because it means their paintings are famous?
    - angry because the subtle original meaning they hoped to convey is lost?

Edvard Munch, Grant Wood, Leonardo da Vinci - what say you?
    (Don't laugh, after all the celebrities we have seen here I expect them to log on any moment. The Cafe is one big electronic seance, like the Restaurant at the End of the Jam Session...)
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

That's the work of Mark Franzke from his site banjodog.com. Mark is fine musician, luthier, and co-owner of the new Kansas City acoustic music shop Bradford & Franzke. His site is full of stuff like this and often gets ripped off my people and applied to other instruments. If you're wondering where he got his art chops, he was fully employed as a card designer for Hallmark Cards of Kansas City for something like 30 years before taking early retirement. Great guy, good friend, and primarily a banjo player.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    I often wonder if the artists who painted the originals of much-mashed-up pictures would be

(Don't laugh, after all the celebrities we have seen here I expect them to log on any moment. The Cafe is one big electronic seance, like the Restaurant at the End of the Jam Session...)
    How would they feel? Probably content that their work has influence.

Though Munch described a particular incident at sunset which inspired the "Scream", it was also echoing similar figures which occur repeatedly in the work of Gauguin, and both of them were probably inspired by the sight of a Peruvian mummy. The re-use of existing themes is part of the original works, in that respect.

Peruvian mummy:

Name:	Chachapoya-mummy-Musee-de-lHomme-photo-by-Francois-Guillot-AFP-Getty-Images.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	140417

Gauguin:

Name:	tumblr_lrmhajmmT41qggdq1.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	140418

10. The following members say thank you to Cobalt for this post:

gtani7 

Hallmark is another company that has move their operations to another country, will it ever stop?

That banjo 'Scream' image is a clever one. I'd love to have it on a T-shirt too.

"His site is full of stuff like this and often gets ripped off my people and applied to other instruments."

I'm sure it is frustrating to have your ideas "ripped off" by others. It happens though.

"If we steal thoughts from the moderns, it will be cried down as plagiarism; if from the ancients, it will be cried up as erudition."
    Charles Caleb Colton

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post

I've discovered that when we ask 'Is it this' or 'Is it that,' the answer quite often is "It's a little of both." Artistic endeavors seem to be one of those double edged swords.

As far as the ghosts of sessions past (one of my favorite topics, I love a good ghost story)...I'm starting a new thread on that.
    Last edited by travellerbytrade; Nov-03-2015 at 11:43am.
    Joyce

All facts are important, it's just the context that changes - Mr. Vincent Nigel-Murray

Guitar, brown with six strings.

Not really, it's a 1976 Alvarez, model 5059

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by travellerbytrade View Post
    ... the ghosts of sessions past
    Humbug!
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Blog Entries

Maybe the scream is a squee of joy at a fine frailing. Could be....

Or not.

Thanks for the background, Scott.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    That banjo 'Scream' image is a clever one. I'd love to have it on a T-shirt too.

"His site is full of stuff like this and often gets ripped off my people and applied to other instruments."

I'm sure it is frustrating to have your ideas "ripped off" by others. It happens though.
    This was in reference to a custom piece of banjo artwork he created that contained with his own copyright watermark. Someone took it and made it into a drum piece of art removed his watermark and is selling it all over the internet. Most of these are just for fun to share on his web site. I saw the drum one once and immediately recognized it as a rip-off, but the selling of it is pretty brazen.

17. The following members say thank you to Scott Tichenor for this post:

The adaptations of great paintings for the purposes of generating humour
    rely for effect chiefly upon the fact that the paintings are very widely recognised; it is our
    sense of fun in their joyful subversion which overlays the often sarcastic intent
    of the prankster with a subtle varnish of sophisticated mirth; an intoxicating cocktail.
    They are therefore a clear acknowledgement that the work has achieved the status of a piece of "universal" visual language. As with any language its meaning may change over time but the original intent of the artist will always be revealed to the connoisseur. The academic art historical record remains. So no harm done.
    I found the Munch museum uninspiring - Banjo Scream gets my vote!