Thread: Romanza (W.J. Fletcher Jr, c. 1900), mandolin duet

Default Romanza (W.J. Fletcher Jr, c. 1900), mandolin duet

W.J. Fletcher, Jr.: "Romanza", duet for two mandolins (c. 1900)
    Reprinted in 1975 in "A Variety Of Mandolin Music", with introduction by Hugo D'Alton.

This is a classical mandolin duet from the "Golden Age" of the instrument. I don't know anything about the composer, except that he also published a piece called "Serenade and Gipsy Dance" in 1901, so I assume this piece is from the same period.

Recorded on my Embergher bowlback, double-tracked.

1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin (x2)

Martin

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Romanza (W.J. Fletcher Jr, c. 1900), mandolin duet

Following up my earlier posting, I have now found more information on the composer at Michael Reichenbach's invaluable Mandoisland site:

http://www.mandoisland.de/bilder/schulen/fletcher.html

His full name was William Jonas Fletcher Jr, and he was a UK-based mandolin composer and teacher who published a number of original pieces for mandolin, all dated between 1887 and 1901. He also published a mandolin tutor in 1896, which is available for download from Michael's site at the above link -- signed by the author, no less. Looks like he's holding a De Meglio:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	titel_ganz_600.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	140390

There are a fair number of original and arranged pieces in the tutor, but Romanza is not among them and also not in the list of Fletcher's compositions on Michael's site. Nevertheless, given the dates of his other works, I think I am justified to consider the composition in the public domain and to ignore the 1975 copyright printed in the D'Alton book (none of the pieces in the book appear to have undergone significant editing for the 1975 re-publication). So, I attach the score here.

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Variety of Mandolin Music (d'Alton)34.pdf  

Over the past few weeks, I have been rediscovering my very first mandolin, a German "bulgeback" I inherited from my grandfather via my mother, both of who learned to play mandolin on this instrument. I did some repairs (fixed a crack and made a new ebony/maple bridge) about 15 years ago and then put it away out of sight. A couple of months ago, my niece asked me about it as she was doing a university presentation on a familiy heirloom and chose this one. So, I got it out and started playing it again, finding it to be much better sounding and more versatile than I was remembering.

I have uploaded a number of videos to the SAW group and my Youtube channel, and have now also re-recorded Fletcher's lovely Romanza for two mandolins.

1920s/30s "Majestic" mandolin (x2)

https://youtu.be/onQhcmYAGIk

Martin

5. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Eugene 

Thanks! Lovely playing of a piece that sure sounds of its time period. I have to chuckle at the mandolin -- it seems to have 2 Calace-type holes in an odd position on the sound board. Anything you can say about these holes?

7. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

Thanks, Joe. The "Calace-type holes" are fairly common in German flatbacks from the 1920s or 30s, and in some German bowlbacks too. Unlike with Calace, in German instruments they are almost always off to one side, as in mine. Nobody now seems to be sure what they were intended to achieve. I have seen references in old catalogues or adverts to this being an "Edelklang-System" ("noble tone system"), suggesting that it was supposed to improve tone in some fashion. No idea how this was supposed to work. To add to the confusion, "Edelklang" was also used as a brand name for a particular maker, who made instruments with or without holes.

When I inherited my mandolin, they were just raw holes drilled into the top, with no binding or other protection of the edges. I'm pretty sure there originally were circular inserts in them made from celluloid, bone or horn, but they got lost at some stage. I made my own replacement inserts from maple which is what you see in the video. I'm pleased with how they turned out.

Martin

Thanks, Martin, for the very interesting explanation. I have seen them on other bowlbacks than Calace but never on a flatback. Curious that in the various physics-based discussions on the cafe about wood and tone production no one has been able to clarify exactly what these hole were meant to achieve ... and whether or not they actually did affect tone. Perhaps no one is quite idle enough to think this worth pursuing. Thanks, again.

Joe

10. The following members say thank you to Joe Bartl for this post:

Fletcher recorded 4 tunes on cylinders for Edison Bell in 1903. I don't have any of them and don't know anyone who does, just thought I would mention that they are out there, somewhere. Hopefully, someday...

Dance Romanese - Edison Bell B 444
    March - Call to Arms - Edison Bell B 445
    Serenade and Gipsy Dance - Edison Bell B 446
    Csardas No.6 (Michiels) - Edison Bell B 447

12. The following members say thank you to Neil Gladd for this post: