Thread: Luthier Burgess mandolins

Default Luthier Burgess mandolins

Hello everyone, I'm new to the mandolin and the Cafe. Looking for a mandolin, I have come across Luthier Burgess. Does anyone have any information or first hand experience with these mandolins? Thanks.

Default Re: Luthier Burgess mandolins

The ones showing up on ebay? Workmanship appears to be a bit rough and his choice of woods on some of them is VERY questionable.
    Bill Snyder

Not to be unnecessarily harsh on the builder, but at the prices I see quoted on eBay, you can surely get something with a bit more finesse in its construction. His cheapest models are unlikely to be better than a comparably priced Kentucky, and the higher-priced ones have little chance of outdoing other, better-known makers (both small and large).

Look up Morris, Old Wave, Kentucky, The Loar and Breedlove Cross-over in the builder database, just for starters.

4. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

gtani7 

----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

6. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post: