Thread: OK guys ... what've I got? Breedlove content.

Default OK guys ... what've I got? Breedlove content.

So I just landed this Breedlove American KF in like new condition for an offer of $875.

https://reverb.com/item/1276427-bree...-natural-satin

I'm buying it blind. Never played a Breedlove but I do know going in that the neck is a bit wide and the frets are a bit larger which some folks like and some don't. I have a feeling I'll prefer them since I'm a guitar player that dabbles in the mando world.

I can't find much other about this particular model other than this short blurb archived on the Breedlove site.

http://breedlovemusic.com/instrument...lin-archive/kf

Anyone know anything about this particular mando?

Any Breedlove "love" in general?

Was $875 a good deal? Seemed like it.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ppmnqxsp8tnerdpoil3e.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	140554  
    Joel

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Default Re: OK guys ... what've I got? Breedlove content.

Well, we know it's a pre-Asian import I don't know if it was a good deal or not, but I think you will like it.

When I started on mandolin about 7 years ago I was turned off by the Breedlove design. One day a couple years ago I played an American FF and I said "Yes! This is the sound I've been looking for!" I bought it and its my go to mandolin now.
    Living’ in the Mitten

I owned a 2006 Breedlove OF for six years and it was a outstanding mandolin. I used flat wound strings on it and it provided a wonderful warm tone and plenty of volume. Flawless workmanship and without question the easiest mandolin to play that I have ever laid my hands on.

This is not a import but made in Bend OR. I believe, based on the logo, that it was made before the Two Hippies purchase. I might be wrong, but I thought they changed the logo after that.

Looks like you did great on the price as well. My OF, which is a lower model, sold for $975 in 2006.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I haven't played one but i also got turned off by the shape along time ago, but i like it alot more now , where if i found one that i liked i would buy it , i think you got a good deal
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Blog Entries

I had a Quartz KF (essentially what you have there under their older naming convention). The price you paid is reasonable for one in good shape. They are very plain looking which I liked. Mine had a substantial neck that wasn't really my cup of tea but many other people like them. It neither looks like or sounds like your traditional bluegrass mandolin (I didn't care). I enjoyed it. It's a good quality, well built mandolin.

I think the K shape is very cool. I think if I ever got another I would want the KO.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Don't have much input on the KF (although I have an early OF that I really enjoy), but the seller is legit. Last week I bought a Rainsong nylon string guitar and it was as described, shipped quick! I paid the asking price instead of making an offer--wonder if I could've gotten an even better deal!

I think that is a good deal. Looks great! I have a 2001 Breedlove Quartz KF which is the previous model to the American KF. Essentially the same except the tailpiece. I love it. Easy to play, nice beefy frets, good radius fingerboard, sound is well balanced. I've been playing it for a lot of years and people still look at it a bit sideways at first, but when they hear it, they ask to play it. And when they play it, they usually like it.

As you can see below, I own two Breedloves. They're both great. Flawless construction; great playability.

I use the Legacy on stage as my main mandolin and the Quartz is the backup.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

9. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

YOU will be pleased with the Breedlove . enjoy.

The fit and finish look great and the overall quality on any of these higher end BLs is fine, but I also am not crazy about their modernist take on the F style. It looks like someone started to work on the scroll and then just decided to stop halfway through, not even leaving enough for a proper strap-hanger. (Why not just put another point there like on the treble side?) Anyway, am looking forward to see what new models they come up with.

Edit: In the interest of fairness I should note that their current lineup includes two F styles that do sport a fair attempt at a real strap hanger! http://breedlovemusic.com/mandolins
    Last edited by Petrus; Nov-05-2015 at 10:29pm.

While I'm not the biggest fan of the style, I really liked the feel of the necks on the few that I've played. For the price, I think you got yourself a solid mandolin.

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

I picked up a '03 Breedlove Quartz OF for $460.00. It sounds great, better than anything I've tried under $1000 bucks!!!
    Mickey

Skip Kelley-Kentucky F-5
    Northfield F5S
    Collings MT

I played a couple of Breedlove mandolins over here several years ago,well before 'Two Old Hippies' came along,& they were really fine instruments. They are 'plain' looking,but i like the style very much,''clean & un-fussy'' does it for me every time,& i think that you'll like it very much - enjoy !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Sounds like you got a good deal on it. My FF Breedlove has sort of a V type profile at the top of the neck. Seemed awkward at first but I adjusted to it. The woody resonance on these are incredible. Flawless construction. You'll definitely enjoy it.

I've always liked the KF models. That seems like a fine price for a high quality instrument in a hard case. As a (primarily) guitarist, I'll wager you love the feel. Enjoy!
    Blow on, man.