Thread: Culpeper Music Center

Default Culpeper Music Center

I'd like to send out a big 'Thank You' to the nice people at the Culpeper Music Center in Culpeper Va. (I don't find a website or any contact info for the store itself, and I don't do the Facebook thing.)

I was in Culpeper for a few hours on Saturday. I always check out the local music stores when I'm in whatever town U.S.A. and have some time to kill. This time I found a cool little music store on Main St. right downtown.

I walked in to find several folks sitting in the back with guitars, one guy with a dobro. They looked to be having a pretty good time picking some tunes together. I stood there watching and enjoying the atmosphere when one guy asked if I played. I told him the truth..."A little bit on the mandolin when I get the chance".

"Well grab one off the wall and sit down" he said.

I quickly tuned up a Morgan Monroe, borrowed a pick and sat down. I only had time to play a few songs with those guys but I had a great time. I'm sure they got a laugh out of watching me in my pilot uniform struggling through 'Little Cabin Home on the Hill'. Probably not a sight they see there too often.

I guess they have a little back-room jam there every Saturday. If you ever get the chance, check it out...nice people and a lot of fun. If anybody reading this knows that place, tell 'em the pilot says "Thanks!"

Default Re: Culpeper Music Center

I have been to Culpepper Music for a repair to my guitar. (I live one hour away). It is a great little store with a fantastic luthier well known through out the DC/VA area. Missed the jam but will be sure to try and catch it next time, (I have another instrument that needs repair). Great bunch of folks! Love talking music and instruments. Some good local players frequent there I believe, at least some were there when I dropped off my guitar. A must to visit if in the area!

3. The following members say thank you to Fretfet2 for this post:

Man that's a great story to hear Flatrock! Gotta love those kinda places.Welcome U to sit in and jam rather than show U the door going out.Sounds like a great place to visit.Thanks for sharing!

5. The following members say thank you to choctaw61 for this post:

I live just down the road from Culpeper Music and echo the above comments and observations. Its a very friendly place and Bishop is truly a master luthier. He has worked on two of my mandolins; a 1937 Gibson A00 and 1981 Polifka A model. He rebuilt the ribs and replaced the Gibson's back and gave the Polifka a fantastic setup. The difference in playability and tone in both instruments is fantastic. The little Saturday morning jam is lots of fun and the sweet treats and coffee for all comers is the best. Definitely a must stop if you're in the area.
    "A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to leave alone."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Smith For This Useful Post:

My hometown. Culpeper Music was the place where I participated in my first bluegrass jams in the early 70's. Back then, it was on Fri. night after closing. Learned a lot of music and other stuff. Glad to hear its going strong.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mando a Mando For This Useful Post: