Thread: Very interesting tune in tab

Well i was browsing tab at mandozine the other day in the jazz and swing section. And i found the Andy Griffin theme song The fishin hole. I love it. I immediatley printed it out to quickly learn how to pick. Its fairly simple and it sounds great. It does sound like a jazzy tune.

Has anyone played it? What do you think.

Here is the link http://www.mandozine.com/music....t+Files

I play it a lot. It is pretty easy but sounds really cool on the mando. It is also a great song for getting some pinky exercise

7000 ft up in the High Sierra east of Porterville.

The version I play does not use the pinky at all and an goes:
    D025A532D5A532D525A2D5A0..........
    Now, I have versions I tabbed of "Chattanooga Choo Choo" and "Up a Lazy River" that really give my little pinky a workout. When I came from guitar to mandolin, I had very little dexterity in my pinky and had to force that little lazy digit to go where it was told. Now it's automatic, but heck, this is from a guy that took three years to develop a decent tremolo.
    John

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One of the coolest recordings of this tune is on a CD, "Fishing Music." with Ben Winship and David Thompson. (It also has "Lazy River" BTW)
    Cool acoustic music; worth checking out!
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

The version off Mandozine goes down to the 7th fret. I can play it a lot faster using the third finger on the 7th fret but am trying to force myself to use the pinky more. It sure does not come naturally.

Pat

Yes i like to slide my 3rd finger down to the 7th. When you do a slide there it sounds really cool. Better then just hitting it with your pinky. A bit easier for me too.

Sounds like a neat recording mandohack.

Blog Entries

This song got the rare approval nod from my mando-ambivalent wife.

Cool tune

Now if I could just come up with a decent arrangement of "When I Grow Too Old to Dream."

Daniel

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

Fishing Music is a MUST listen to. So many terrific ideas with absolutely great vocals and instrumentals.

Daniel - as for the Sigmund Romberg Piece (When I Grow to Old to Dream) there is a fairly difficult version (to find at least) done in the late 1930's by the 'Cat's and a Fiddle' where they changed the rhythm from 3/4 to 4/4 and made it cook. I started to write it out but once I got that idea in my head ... the tune just came together. So ... you might want to think the melody through, restructure the rhythm and then figure out some tasty double stops to fill in the lilting melody. This tune just comes together with a minimum of fuss. Just think through the melody ...

Very pretty tune ... goes well with 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkely Square'. Actually that set makes me fall over ...
    Mandola fever is permanent.

Blog Entries

Dolamon,
    The Nat "King" Cole trio did a version of When I Grow Too Old to Dream in 4/4 with Stuff Smith on violin. Very cool version. This is the one with which I am familiar. I did come up with an arrangement, but I have never been happy with it. So either I find another, more acceptable version, or I upgrade my chops.
    The song is so little known that I may end up upgrading my chops, which will take a while!
    Thanks for the info on the other versions!

Daniel

Speaking of fishing songs do you all know that one that the Nitty Gritty Dirt band done with Taj Mahal. I think thats how you spell his name. Anyway i cant think of the name at the moment.

What was that tune called?

Is that Taj Mahal tune "Fishin' Blues'? I don't think Nitty Gritty had anything to do with it, though, so it might not be what you're thinking of. The one I'm thinking of is on Taj Mahal's Giant Step/De Old folks at Home.
    ...Betcha goin' fishin' all of the time, baby goin' fishin', too...
    Chuck

Does anybody have this tune in a different file format? I couldn't open the file with my computer.
    Thanks!
    djazzbird

Quote Originally Posted by (cbarry @ May 10 2005, 21:17)
    Is that Taj Mahal tune "Fishin' Blues'? I don't think Nitty Gritty had anything to do with it, though, so it might not be what you're thinking of. The one I'm thinking of is on Taj Mahal's Giant Step/De Old folks at Home.
    ...Betcha goin' fishin' all of the time, baby goin' fishin', too...
    Chuck
    Yes indeed, and if it's Nitty Gritty, it's called "Fish song" (All the Good Times album).
    "Bonjour chez vous!"
    Phil.
    Wondergrass
    MoonShine