Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: snark users

Default snark users

the little button on top that activates a little red blinking heart, what is that, can't find box or papers.

Dan
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

Blog Entries

Default Re: snark users

Dan, I googled Snark Manual and found several PDFs you can view online. It depends on your model.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

A metronome? I think it is...

I thought that, but I did put it on my finger, thinking it would read your heart rate. Lol.

Dan
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

5. The following members say thank you to dtb for this post:

Metronome.

Be careful if you activate it, to make sure the tuner's turned off before you put it away. There's a "dead man switch" feature if the tuner's in clip-on-tuning mode, supposed to turn it off if it doesn't sense vibrations for several minutes. Don't think this feature operates in metronome mode, so if you leave the metronome running, bye-bye battery.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

What Allen said, remembered from advice read here, thankfully, and not a battery murdering mistake on my part (for once)!
    Chuck

9. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

You push it twice to set the tempo.
    When 'good enough' is more than adequate.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

incidentally, the one flaw of the Snark other than leaving it on accidentally... the rubber grip and foot. Why don't they just glue it on?! Saves me a bother. In the past I've lost it without using my noggin & actually gluing
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

12. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    incidentally, the one flaw of the Snark other than leaving it on accidentally... the rubber grip and foot. Why don't they just glue it on?! Saves me a bother. In the past I've lost it without using my noggin & actually gluing
    They will replace it for you though, at least they did for me, free of charge. I glued on the replacement.

Regarding the metronome, I find this to be completely useless. I really like the idea, but just a flashing heart means nothing to me. If there was a click or beep sound I think this would be a great feature, but I just cannot look at the flashing heart and use it. Or is it supposed to make sound and mine doesn't?.....
    Other than that, I love mine. I have changed the battery once in 2.5 years of almost daily use.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Actually, the Snark has several known flaws. It is very inexpensive, however, and therefore easily replaced when it breaks.

Here are some issues that have already been reported:

1) If left on in its metronome mode, it will not turn itself off automatically, and it will run down its battery quickly.
    2) The rubber (elastomer) grip is too easily separated from the foot, and needs to get reglued.
    3) The spring tension in the foot is not adjustable, and it's also a bit on the high side, so it can easily leave marks when left on an instrument for an extended period.
    3) The base of the swivel joint (ball-and-socket) connecting the display portion to the spring-loaded grip is made out of flimsy plastic and often breaks. This is a fatal flaw, and most often results in having to buy a new tuner.
    4) The meanings of the buttons on it are not clearly marked, and these can be non-intuitive. Also, they are all the same size and nearby, and consequently hard to tell apart.
    5) It can be very hard to read the display outdoors.
    6) The "red" and "blue" models of the Snark do not tune as accurately as the "tighter" black model.
    7) It doesn't fold very flat, and it's hard to fit one inside the compartment of a good many mandolin cases.

Still, it's a pretty darned good tuner: it's cheap, convenient and it does the job. It is NOT a great tuner, however, and the design has plenty of room for improvement.

15. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

DougC 

I'm sorry for going off topic here, but I really like this tuner for my mandolin. Leave it clipped on all the time.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NSMicroClip
    Eastman MD315 Mandolin
    '59 Gibson J-45 "Spot"
    '21 Gibson LG-2
    '94 Taylor 710
    '18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
    '22 Martin CEO7
    '15 Martin 000X1AE
    Fender Roadworn USA P-Bass "Big Al"

www.reverbnation.com/MickKyteMusic

17. The following members say thank you to elmicko for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Actually, the Snark has several known flaws. It is very inexpensive, however, and therefore easily replaced when it breaks.

1) If left on in its metronome mode, it will not turn itself off automatically, and it will run down its battery quickly.
    2) The rubber (elastomer) grip is too easily separated from the foot, and needs to get reglued.
    3) The spring tension in the foot is not adjustable, and it's also a bit on the high side, so it can easily leave marks when left on an instrument for an extended period.
    3) The base of the swivel joint (ball-and-socket) connecting the display portion to the spring-loaded grip is made out of flimsy plastic and often breaks. This is a fatal flaw, and most often results in having to buy a new tuner.
    4) The meanings of the buttons on it are not clearly marked, and these can be non-intuitive. Also, they are all the same size and nearby, and consequently hard to tell apart.
    6) The "red" and "blue" models of the Snark do not tune as accurately as the "tighter" black model.
    7) It doesn't fold very flat, and it's hard to fit one inside the compartment of a good many mandolin cases.

Still, it's a pretty darned good tuner: it's cheap, convenient and it does the job. It is NOT a great tuner, however, and the design has plenty of room for improvement.
    Since these flaws are almost all well-recognised, surely the Snark is a marketing triumph that should be studied at university level. I had one with a different - and fatal - flaw. The red plastic decomposed, becoming soft and sticky and very, very messy. Never again.

Of course the reaction here was that I must have done something wrong, like stored it with toxic chemicals or something, you know the way we all store our mandolins with dangerous chemicals nearby. There are no more Snarks in this (frequent buyer of tuners) guy's future.

ron

Anybody who reads my posts knows that I use a fair amount of snark.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Sblock makes some good points above, and I say this as a red-Snark user. I don't leave tuners clipped to headstocks, other than during actual tuning, so I avoid marring my instruments' finish -- not that I care much whether I "distress" my instruments or not.

Responding to some of his points:

1. You can also run down the battery quickly leaving the Snark's switch set to "microphone" instead of "vibration" mode; the automatic-off switch won't work if the mic keeps hearing ambient noise. I've learned to be careful about switching mine off.

2. +1 about the rubber pad coming off; I've glued a couple back on. Bother.

I think sblock has two #3's, so let me skip ahead...

3. The socket for the ball joint is a bit fragile; I had one break, but just glued the ball into the broken socket. Lost the ability to swivel the head around, but still use the tuner.

4. I held on to the little instructional sheets, although I almost never use the unit except as an A=440 tuner. Isn't that what most of us use tuners for, 95% of the time?

5. +1 on it being hard to read in daylight -- one advantage of tuners with LCD displays.

As for #'s 6 and 7, haven't tried the black Snark, but find the red one sufficiently accurate and compact enough for most uses. My standards may be lower than some others', however.

Not ideal, but jeez, I see Snarks sprouting up everywhere; probably half the musicians I see using tuners, are using them. Must be a reason for that...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post

I don't remember when I started using a Snark, but here are some of my comments-I'm not saying other's experiences are invalid--just pointing out most of this is anecdotal, and not necessarily the experience of every Snark user.

1. I rarely use the metronome, so not an issue for me
    2. I have never had an issue with the rubber pads.
    3. Never had the plastic break--not saying it can't happen, but I've never had an issue with it.
    4. The main button I use is the on/off switch--but I had no problem figuring out the others.
    5. I've never had an issue reading the display--and I've used it outside. I've had other tuners that are much worse (& that cost more)
    6. I've never tired the black one, so I can't comment.
    7. This one I agree with it can be awkward.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

I've had a Red Snark for just over 3 years now,i use it regularly & i've not had a single problem of any sort. The socket/'neck' joint is an obvious weak area,so i'm just careful with it & as Allen above says,many pro.musicians use them,so they can't be all that bad.
    Personally,i think that the 'neck' design is 'not too good' should i say. A simple swivel ball joint as per the Intelli tuners,would have been just as good & less prone to damage. As a tuner,i've found it to be excellent,especially used after re-stringing. It'll recognise a note even when the strings have hardly any tension on them. My Intelli tuners don't recognise anything until i'm almost tuned up & then they get confused between G & D & i find them a bit too 'twitchy',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

24. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

I've used Intellitouch, and while I liked them, the Snark works better, shows smaller increments for tuning (At least my Intellitouch) and they are harder to read than Snarks.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

I have 3 Snarks...1 red, 2 blue. One I've had since they first came out a number of years ago. The others at least five years. Never had a problem with any of them. I've changed batteries a few times, but other than that, no problems. Never broke one, had anything need to be reglued, or had any problems with tuning accuracy. I guess I've been fortunate. Bang for the buck is pretty high in my opinion. The wonderful about this day and age is we have a vast selection at reasonably accurate, inexpensive tuners. It's much more convenient than looking for that blasted tuning fork!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I have an SN-14 on my wish list for Christmas this year.
    Opinions?Yea, or nay?

Name:  41jMz2QNRBL._SL500_SL135_.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  4.2 KB

Yea.

I dont know the numbers, but I got the newer "black" Snark a couple of months ago and I love it. I had the red snark and the rubber pad came off. I emailed the company and never heard a thing back. The black one is faster to register and easier to read. It just works a little better. You do loose the ability to tune thru built in mic but I was always accidentally hitting that button and it just messed me up in band situations anyway. So I'm a big fan of the black snark.

PS I have the planet waves Micro too. Its smaller. It has a clip adapter attachment that fits on a very nice planet waves capo which hangs underneath in view to you and out of view to audience. That capo and tuner combo stays clipped to my guitar at all times (capo clipped to headstock when not in use so tuner still works). And that combo works great for guitar. I'm surprised more people dont use it. Since the mando doesnt need capo and since I mess with tuning the mando more, I prefer the bigger and faster snark for mando.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

I've never had any problems with my black Snark SN-8, other than losing it somewhere. But I ordered another one. Only thing I want it to do is tune my mandolin, guitars, and banjos.

From Big Joe - " It's much more convenient than looking for that blasted tuning fork !". Joe,i've found the opposite to be true when tuning anything with a neck longer than a mandolin !. I need a telescope to see my Snark tuner if i clamp it to the headstock of my banjo !. My 'G' tuning fork,which i keep i my banjo case,works fine - tap it on my knee,place it on the banjo bridge & there she goes !.
    From WW - "You can put lipstick on a banjo, but it's still a banjo". They sure are purty though ain't they !,
    Snark HZ-1 Tuner - That would be this one then :-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snark HZ-1 Tuner.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	141001

Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

31. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Just bought a new Snark yesterday. I think it's the "H.X." model. It is white and has a new display (large green "wedge" when in tune) and they completely redesigned the feet on the thing. No more losing pads and scratching headstocks for me.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric C. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I like my black Snark SN8. I don't like my Snark SN8 because it is black and I can't find it in the case backstage where it is dark.

I think it is much better than the other clip on tuners like D'Addario and Intellitouch, Korg, Peterson etc. because of the stronger plastic and simple design e.g.just one button to press.

Yes, there are other buttons but they are out of the way. I just checked my instruction manual. Reading Japanese is a challenge...Also I learned that the tempo default is 100 BPM.

I've seen many people bump a button on their Korg GA1 tuner and are unaware that they have changed the calibration to something other than A 440.

Now I see a white Snark with a different clip and display. The HZ1 seems to be the next purchase.

But I wonder if it will outlast my 40 year old tuning fork?
    Last edited by DougC; Nov-19-2015 at 11:21am.

The base where the swivel joint on my red snark snapped in the first month. Duct tape has been my friend ever since. I keep waiting for it to fail so I can justify buying something new. So after two years the duct tape keeps holding.