Thread: Madolin,Octave, Or Mendocello? I can't decide!

Default Madolin,Octave, Or Mendocello? I can't decide!

Hey folks,
    been a hot minute since my last posting, but I have been lurking and looking over my options as to future purchases.
    I have narrowed it down to a Weber, but I am stuck on deciding on what I want.
    As far as Mandocello goes, I dig the Gallatin, basic, simple and clean.
    As to the octave Mando, Really ANY of the bottom four models.
    And as far Standard Mandolins, Bottom five, My budget is a Max of $5k
    So Weber Owners, Sell me on these....Or point me in a better direction if you know a smaller builder that deserves some exposure.

I am looking to buy something HEIRLOOM quality, so I am gonna be a fussy SOB about it.

Just a Heads Up....

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Default Re: Madolin,Octave, Or Mendocello? I can't decide!

I've got a Weber Bitteroot Octave mandolin, F5 style, and it sounds amazing - not just my opinion. The quality of craftsmanship is very high. It's a lifetime mandolin. I would recommend Weber octave mandolins to anyone who is looking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0653.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	140870
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

3. The following members say thank you to Emmett Marshall for this post:

Yeah I have my Grandmothers Mando(in my profile pic)
    I do love it, but I love the sound of Octave, and M/Cellos.

Is your new purchase going to be for playing? If so, what kind of music/context?

All things being equal - which it sounds as though it is - or if you're simply interested in a nice-sounding instrument, why not consider other types of mandolins - http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...Harp-Mandolins

Indeed, I will be playing every last note I can get out of it...
    I am making the switch mainly due to back issues.
    As for style, I am an old Punk that grew up on Old school Country, and traditional musics.
    So I have plans currently for a fully acoustic cow punk project.
    And I like Odd instrumentation...

I couldn't be happier with my Weber OM (the larger curly thing in my avatar over on the left). There are other luthiers building OMs who are worth considering, but if you're liking the sound of a Gibson carved archtop mando-on-steroids, Weber has it pretty well nailed down.

The OM vs. Mandocello decision involves questions about technique and repertoire:

What style of music do you like to play? From my experience, an OM is much easier to slot into various formats like Folk, Country, OldTime, and Irish and Scottish traditional music. I use mine almost exclusively for Irish/Scottish trad. A 'cello will take more work to fit into those styles, which is one reason you don't see many of them.

Regarding technique, are you ready to invest the time to train your hands for the wider stretches on a 'cello? An OM is an easier transition from mandolin (assuming you already play mandolin), both in the finger stretch and the GDAE tuning. Any tune you already know on mandolin will lay out the same way on the fingerboard of an OM. You might have to re-finger a bit, depending on how big your hands are, but you won't have to transpose the fingering of a tune in GDAE to CGDA like you would on a 'cello.

For the reasons above, I think the usual transition most of us go through is mandolin first, then we pick up an OM, and then a rare few of us pick up a mandocello. I haven't taken that third step yet, because although I'd love to have a Weber 'cello as a big brother to my Yellowstone F-style OM, it doesn't fit the music I'm playing now.

8. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

A Cow Punk Project dubbed "The Dukes of Haggard"

And transition is fairly easy for me as I play guitar, bass, mando, and I switch back and forth between scale lengths on my six's, and when I am really bored I dust off the lap steel.

For the project you describe, I'd also recommend you consider the mighty Weber Octar. Lots going on sonically with those.
    Think globally, bike locally.

11. The following members say thank you to eadg145 for this post:

One way to solve the dilemma - 'split the difference' and get a mandola; was always my most versatile of the 'mandolins'

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by eadg145 View Post
    For the project you describe, I'd also recommend you consider the mighty Weber Octar. Lots going on sonically with those.
    I saw those, found them intriguing.
    But I do have my heart set on an F body, regardless of which family member I choose.

How Far down the neck can you Move your fingers on time?

Given the GDAE Octave is shorter than the CGDA Mando Cello (more guitar like string length)
    that may influence your choice.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I was going to recommend a mandola too, but Catmandu2 beat me to it. My Weber Bitterroot mandola is wonderful. You really can't go wrong with anything from Weber.

17. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post: