Thread: Aw, nuts!

Question Aw, nuts!

I recently bought what is apparently a Lyon and Healy (mid range or less?) bowlback mando. The strings are really low, which is good (low to frets), but a bit TOO low, as I get some rattles on my G strings. (Bite your tongues, gentlemen!).

The nut is black. So I'm guessing it's "ebonized" or actual ebony. I have bone and a big wood and metal shop, so an accurate fitting bone nut can be made here. (Boyfriend retired machinist, he can do accurate)

Has anyone done that? Pointers? Avoid what? Is there a standard depth, height, anything?

Also, the pick guard was crap, peeled up a bit. So I removed what I could and will replace it. I would rather make my own design, anyone done that? Pointers?

Thanks in advance, and happy picking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	140880

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	140881

Default Re: Aw, nuts!

I refer, same process just on a smaller scale

http://www.mirwa.com.au/Nut.html

Steve

F-style Apostate

Or:

http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/...t/newnut1.html

Before you go to the trouble of making a new nut, you might want to check the neck for straightness and proper relief. Also, you could do a test by shimming the nut up a little from underneath to see if a higher nut really solves the problem. Business cards are the usual "go-to" material for making temporary shims (that sometimes wind up being not so temporary-LOL).

Are you sure the nut is the issue? If the G string buzzes when played open then yes possibly (but badly cut slots can also cause that), if it buzzes further up the neck then a look at the action at the bridge is in order.

As for the pickguard, I would have carefully glued the old one back down - those are irreplaceable!

How old are the strings? Old strings can buzz with loose windings.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett