Thread: 22" OM - are my strings too heavy?

Default 22" OM - are my strings too heavy?

I have a 1987 John LeVoi instrument that I've had for around 12 years. I've tended to refer to it as an octave mandola, though I'm aware that the distinctions between instruments can be a little blurry. It has a 560mm (22") scale length, the body is larger than some OMs at 350mm (13 3/4") wide and 95mm (3 3/4") deep, so I've also heard people call it a short-scale bouzouki.
    I tune it GDAE with unison pairs, though I sometimes dabble in GDAD when playing chords. I play mostly Scottish and Irish tunes and chordal accompaniment for songs. I've been using the standard set of OM strings from Eagle Music in the UK, which are .012, .024, .036 and .048. I happened to read Graham McDonald's Bouzouki Book where he suggests between 10-12Kgs per string as a good starting point. I've calculated my tensions with this set as 7.92Kg (E), 14.24Kg (A), 12.96Kg (D) and 10.2Kg (G), a total tension of 90.64Kg. This seems a little high.
    The instrument has been wearing these gauges for at least 10 years, so there don't seem to be any issues of stability, but should I try something lighter on the A and D courses?

Default Re: 22" OM - are my strings too heavy?

That "bluriness" of which you speak is a result of the differing scale lengths out there on octave mandolin or whatever you want to call it. Mine is 20 inches, quite short, so standard sets were awful. How can you have a standard set of gauges when the scale length varies fron 20 to 23 inches? My answer was to go to light mandola strings, 14-52 I believe. Made it a whole different instrument, really.

Sounds like for yours you might want to try a bit heavier on the E course, maybe 14. If you could find 22 for the A course that might be a bit better. The others are ok I think. You might have to buy single strings to make up your ideal set. Go to Graham's Web site and use his string calculator. You can easily come up with your ideal tensions and gauges by playing around with that a bit. The bad news is that it is not likely any so called standard set out there will match.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

The E course is the one that I probably don't want to change. Although the tension looks a little light, I'm happy with the sound and feel of it. Overall the instrument is a little firm feeling to play, especially on the A and D courses, so that's the main thing I'd be looking to change. I'd like to keep a wound string for the A course, so I may try something like .012, .020w, .034, .046 or .048 to begin with. That looks reasonable on the string calculator and isn't far off McDonald's suggested gauges for this scale length.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

I love messing with strings!
    I have on my 22" bouzouki... 013p .020w 032w 048w that's 9.4kg 10.5kg 10.2kg & 10.2kg.
    I think we can only offer our gauges as a base to work from though, it must depend on the individual instrument, playing style & personal preference

As noted above, we all have to find our preferred gauges on this variable beast called an OM. For comparison, I have a 22" scale Weber archtop OM, and I've been able to use the "standard" D'Addario phosphor bronze EJ80 set, but I replace the top E string with one gauge heavier (because the stock E's sound too wimpy):

.012 plain --> Changed to .013
    .022 wound
    .032 wound
    .046 wound

That's on a Gibson-style archtop OM, so your preference might be different if it's a flat top Bouzouki-style instrument , especially if you're going for a janglier/thinner tone.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    That's on a Gibson-style archtop OM, so your preference might be different if it's a flat top Bouzouki-style instrument , especially if you're going for a janglier/thinner tone.
    I'd agree that different styles of instrument do seem to need different strings to find their voice. I've noticed on my guitars that heavier strings really help to wake up an archtop instrument, though the LeVoi is a flat-top (albeit somewhat domed) with a floating bridge so I'll be curious to see what going a touch lighter does for it.
    I've ordered .013, .020w, .032 and .046. If I don't like the .013 or the .046 I still have some spares of the .012 and .048 to go back to. The LeVoi has a ball-end tailpiece which makes things a bit easier.
    Last edited by Martin Beer; Nov-17-2015 at 12:02pm.

I have a 21" G-D-A-E OM that I string with octave pairs.
    String sizes are G .048, g .024, D .039, d .020, both A's .024, both E's .014. I've never calculated the string tension, but I've had it strung up like this for about 7 years. Since yours is an inch longer than mine, your tension will be somewhat higher, but I don't think your string gages are out of line.

Edit: the Allen tailpieces on all my custom instruments accept ball or loop end strings, which opens the whole world of strings up. Easy to try different sizes. And I can get guitar strings anywhere.
    Last edited by Mandobart; Nov-17-2015 at 2:23pm.

I've got got a Weber Yellowstone 22" scale instrument, which of course is archtop (I'm not sure but I feel archtops can probably withstand a higher gauge string). I use custom Newtone sets as follows: 1st strings: 14, 2nd strings: 20, 3rd strings : 34, and 4th strings : 50. These are roughly the same gauges that it came with (although the top pair was something between 13 and 14- I had it measured with a micrometer). I get a lovely balanced sound, certainly not difficult to play. The great thing about Eagle Music is you can experiment with different gauges easily, and they are all made by Newtone anyway (great strings in my opinion).

Robbie

As an aside, we created a Tension Calculator to help players explore a tension/feel that might work for their specific instrument. You can compare it to existing sets in our line, so you'll have some context. Not sure that will help you in this specific case.... www.stringtensionpro.com

10. The following members say thank you to ddawson2010 for this post:

Hi Martin
    My OM has a 20.25 scale length. The set you're using sound a little heavy to me but I'll leave it to others who've spent time experimenting with strings to advise.

What I wanted to say is that I think the strings sold by Eagle Music are actually made by Newtone. Eagle don't mention this on their website but, if you ask them nicely, they will put together single sets of whatever gauges you'd like. Once you've settled on your ideal set, the strings ar slightly cheaper if you buy them direct from Newtone; although you'll need to buy a minimum number (it used to be six sets but it may have changed since John Newton retired) and they haven't always been the quickest in fulfilling orders.

To Don Dawson: Yes, we really appreciate your string calculator. Thank you. I have used Graham's for years to come up with custom sets, but the D'Addario calculator makes sense and is quicker if you want to see if any of theirs work for you.

To Ray: your OM sounds identical to mine in scale length. Again, for me, the D'Addario J72 Light Madola set was perfect. I was mistaken above, the gauges are 14-23-34-49. The J80 OM set is made for a 22.75 inch scale length, and on my instrument were much too loose and floppy. The J 72 set creates a little over 19 pounds per string on E and G courses, just over 21 pounds per string on A and D courses. Total about 165 pounds total, give or take. In short, the J72 set on a 20 1/4 inch scale instrument behaves in a very similar manner to a J 80 set on a 22 3/4 inch scale instrument. You have to go a little heavier on these very short scale OMs, that's all there is to it. There is no such thing as a standard OM string set. You cannot expect the same string set to behave the same way on a 20 inch scale and a 23 inch scale. That's a huge difference.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Don - the problem with the J72, or any other "standard" set, is that my OM takes strings with ball ends.

Ah so! I see Ray. So you are pretty much stuck with buying single guitar strings to get your ideal gauges. Nevertheless, the gauges I listed for the J72 set work really well for me. YMMV.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I've got the same issue with the ball-end tailpiece. I guess it was a good idea when the instrument was made in the late 80s, as there wouldn't have been the choice of strings there is now (especially in the UK and pre-internet) so players would be most likely to make up a set from singles at their local music shop.
    I've just restrung it with .013, .020, .032 and .046 and my first impressions are positive. The lighter A course makes things a bit more comfortable and chords are a little clearer sounding. I've noticed that if I want to play loud, I have to pick further towards the bridge, as the strings can buzz against each other when plucked hard over the soundhole. That's only an issue right at the top end of the dynamic range though. I think I'll play it for a couple of weeks with these gauges and see if I want to settle on those.

Mine was built within the last five years and the (well known - non-UK) builder contended that he made them that way 'cos there was a much greater choice of ball end rather than loop end strings. Newtone will supply sets with whatever ends take your fancy.

17. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

citeog 

I'm using 13,21W,32W,48W Newtones on a 22.88" Shippey OM, I think next time I order strings for it I might lower the 13 to a 12 but the rest seem fine.

I've had good experiences with Eagle Music and I think you can select a "custom string set" from their website and specify the gauges you want when you complete the order.
    Frank Sings But Walt Disney.
    My YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Floorstand View Post
    I'm using 13,21W,32W,48W Newtones on a 22.88" Shippey OM, I think next time I order strings for it I might lower the 13 to a 12 but the rest seem fine.

I've had good experiences with Eagle Music and I think you can select a "custom string set" from their website and specify the gauges you want when you complete the order.
    wow, didn't know you had a Shippey Mike. Had a bit of MAS for one of those back along.

Just checked and the recommended strings for my Clark GBOM (20.25 scale) are 13/24/34/52 which I'm currently using. If anything, they feel a bit on the light side but that's a matter of personal preference.

[Previously: should have said "Malcolm" Newton - why did I say "John"?]