Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: v picks

Default v picks

Just curious...i have been using v picks for some time now....how do they stack up to blue chip. Not talking about price...just an overall comparuson of each. I want to try blue chip but dont access without ordering one.
    Thanks in advance
    rf37
    I was told my mandolin playing was terrible. So, I played my guitar for them and all of the sudden they were happy to hear my mandolin again!

Kentucky KM 505
    Blueridge BR140a
    Martin D-18

Default Re: v picks

Both are well made picks, the material is very different. The Blue Chip is slightly self-lubricating, the V-pick feels a lot like Plexiglas. It's personal taste.

V picks are Lexan IIRC ( AKA, bullet proof "glass") and like 5 bucks a pop...
    Also VERY wear resistant, I have been MAULING the two I have between Guitar and Mando the last six months, and they are both still like new

Blue Chip are:
    "made of a specially formulated composite material that will withstand very high temperatures and is extremely wear resistant. It contains special lubricants which make the picks very fast off the strings."

Also WAY OVERPRICED IMO.....

That's the big difference for me, price.
    WHY am I gonna pay $40 for a WORN OUT pick....

That's why I prefer V picks, better Attack, brighter tone, and easy on the wallet.

4. The following members say thank you to xSinner13x for this post:

Blue Chip are made from Dupont VespelŪ S Polyimide. The stuff is about $1100.00 for a 10" X 10" piece. That is why the picks are expensive. It is not a material you want to make a mistake with cutting them out.

6. The following members say thank you to slk for this post:

V-picks sound way too bright for my tastes on the mandolin, but I've been using one on my guitar for a few months and like the crisp tone I get from it.

I still occasionally use my formerly loved Gravity picks (very much like V-Picks). But for me, the Blue Chips feel, play and sound at least 7x better!
    Blow on, man.

Quote Originally Posted by xSinner13x View Post
    V picks are Lexan IIRC ( AKA, bullet proof "glass") and like 5 bucks a pop...

WHY am I gonna pay $40 for a WORN OUT pick....

That's why I prefer V picks, better Attack, brighter tone, and easy on the wallet.
    All a matter of personal taste, as has been said, but I don't understand the bit about paying $40 for a worn-out pick. Is someone selling worn-out Blue Chip picks for $40?

I don't even know how you wear out a Blue Chip. I've had one since shortly after they were introduced, and while the writing on the surface has worn off, the pick itself is still going strong after years of use.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

To the OP, if you want to try a blue chip, search here for a thread 'traveling pick sampler' and sign up

11. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I've never tried or used a Blue Chip but have a V-pick tremelo which is my preferred pick on my Nava. For other instruments I'm quite happy with Ultex or Primetone picks (and occasionally an unmentionable). I've tried Wegens in the past also but prefer my current range.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I second signing up for the pick sampler, i just got it today. It has 2 different types of blue chip and many other picks I've been playing the chicken pick 2.2 and a blue chip ct55 and a gravity pick today
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Blog Entries

I tried out a V Pick Tradition a few weeks ago as a replacement for the Golden Gates I have been using. Loved it. Used it for 2 weeks, then tried out a Dunlop Primetone. I love that one even more. That thick, meaty, V-Pick really sounded the notes out compared to the Golden Gates yet was easy to tremolo also. The Primetone has all the same advantages except that the attack is slightly subdued compared to the V-Pick while it is easier to handle -- seems more 'nimble' if you can imagine that.

All the above applies to my use on real mandolins - not the mandobanjo in my avatar. Probably would stick to the Golden Gates with that thing.

As you can see everybody's preferences are different. My experiences with V-Pick and Blue Chip are this. I think they both have excellent qualities. The V-Picks I have used have all had a wonderful grip and feel and produce a wonderful complex tone. The BC picks i have tried also produce a wonderful tone, maybe a bit warmer than V-Pick. The biggest difference between the two is the edge finishing. Every BC I have used has a edge as smooth as glass and the result is a very smooth tone from the strings. Every V-Pick I bave used has a scratchy edge which produces a bright scratchy tone, especially on the higher strings. Even though the V-Picks have lots of volume and nice overall tone, the scratchy edge drove me crazy.

I'm pretty happy with the V-pick, "Jalapeņo" but, as seems to be the case, I still need something for traction control, even with the holes. A thumb full of "stick-um" works out quite well, it stays in the holes too!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    As you can see everybody's preferences are different. My experiences with V-Pick and Blue Chip are this. I think they both have excellent qualities. The V-Picks I have used have all had a wonderful grip and feel and produce a wonderful complex tone. The BC picks i have tried also produce a wonderful tone, maybe a bit warmer than V-Pick. The biggest difference between the two is the edge finishing. Every BC I have used has a edge as smooth as glass and the result is a very smooth tone from the strings. Every V-Pick I bave used has a scratchy edge which produces a bright scratchy tone, especially on the higher strings. Even though the V-Picks have lots of volume and nice overall tone, the scratchy edge drove me crazy.
    Playing it a while smooths that out or polishing compound and a buffing wheel

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I have two.
    The Ruby Screamers have a very smooth edge, are a bit more tonally warm with lots of slick roll off.
    The Pearl Screamers will give you a little more bite, and brightness, but also has a very slick contact surface, but seems to have more traction than the Ruby....
    That's just my practical experience with them.

I used a V-pick Saga for well over a year. Great grip, decent volume and a good tone, but I always found it to be very clicky and scratchy on the strings. Then I changed mandolins and the Saga just didn't sound as good as it did on my old Eastman. I have a couple of Wegens knocking about, but have never bonded with them (yeah I know, many people love them). Tried a Blue Chip CT55 - fantastic grip and great tone, but not punchy enough on my mando - it sounds superb on my wife's though, so she's liberated it! Long story short, Dunlop Primetone large triangle 1.5 (dark brown rather than transparent Amber) is now my pick of choice. It's very similar to the CT55 in terms of grip and tone, but it adds the punch that I could never personally get from the CT.

At the end of the day, they're all great picks, it just comes down to personal preference in tone and feel. Also, as with strings, some instruments respond better to some picks than others.

Blog Entries

I tried one and loved it. Its a good option.

I don't look at any pick as supplanting any other pick. I look at what role a particular pick can have in my arsenal of pick choices. No pick does it all.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xSinner13x View Post
    and easy on the wallet.
    I have never, ever, noticed that saving money on picks helped my tone or playability.

The entire staff
    funny....

If you want to try a Blue Chip, order one and try it. If you don't like it, send it back within 30 days, that's their policy. I was hesitant to spend that much on a pick, but upon trying one out, I haven't looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I have never, ever, noticed that saving money on picks helped my tone or playability.
    Neither have I noticed that spending large amounts on picks make me a better musician.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Neither have I noticed that spending large amounts on picks make me a better musician.
    True that!

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I have tried a bunch, and have found my pick-- the V-Pick Large Lite Pointed (1.5 mm thick). Just the right bevel, never falls out of my hand and has a rich, full tone. Never too bright, and not dull like a rounded edge such as a Wegen (which are very nice picks, just not my choice). The V-Pick gives me more volume and clarity, which are desirable attributes. It is great for tremolo and I love it for my big Guild vintage Dread, too. It feels very nice to the touch, so don't let the transparent characteristic fool you-- it doesn't feel like plastic, at all. The only drawback is that if you drop it, it is harder to spot!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    The only drawback is that if you drop it, it is harder to spot!
    I know. Who was up all night thinking that one through?

The entire staff
    funny....

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

That's why the Saga is better - it's blue rather than fresh air!

31. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I would LOVE to be able to walk in to a shop and just purchase whatever tickles my fancy that day.
    But when one lives on a fixed income, as I do at the moment,
    I have to pick( Womp Womp ) and choose carefully how I spend what little "pocket money"
    I have once the Adulting is done for the week.

So $5 VS. $40 is easy math for me...

33. The following members say thank you to xSinner13x for this post: