Thread: Sanding tight corners

Default Sanding tight corners

OK, I'm sure there is a simple answer to this, but I figured I should ask. I am refinishing a Ukulele that I built a while back, and find it difficult to get some of the stain sanded out from some of the tight corners particularly where the instrument bodyit's the fretboard and where the top meats the bridge. Any methods that you used to send these tight corners? Especially when they would grain is running perpendicular to your bridge? Thanks for the help

F-style Apostate

Default Re: Sanding tight corners

Depending on the situation, a sharp single edge razor blade used as a scraper can be of help.

3. The following members say thank you to Rick Lindstrom for this post:

Shape some small scraps of wood on your belt sander or by hand [think of what the perfect tool would look like] to get into places you need- pointed, square edge, narrow, rounded, etc. and use adhesive backed sand paper, cut a strip the right size, and stick it on. Or use a little glue, and apply regular sand paper of the appropriate grit. Small needle files can work in certain places too.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bernabe For This Useful Post:

I put an old motel room key (like a credit card, but I don't use credit cards so I don't have old credit cards) in a folded piece of sandpaper. That gives me a stiff, but flexible sanding "block" for details and other situations. Regardless of what tool you use, there is no short cut, just carefully and slowly sand with the grain until the job is done.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lindstrom View Post
    Depending on the situation, a sharp single edge razor blade used as a scraper can be of help.
    These work well. You can even use a screw driver shaft as a burnisher to put a hook on the edge to make it more affective. When it gets dull,throw it away and repeat. These will also help get rid of sanding marks.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

One of my favourite "sanding sticks" is a flexible 100 mm (4") steel ruler, on which I put adhesive backed sandpaper. Great for certain detail work operations.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arnt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Arnt View Post
    One of my favourite "sanding sticks" is a flexible 100 mm (4") steel ruler, on which I put adhesive backed sandpaper. Great for certain detail work operations.
    Well now... I think I just found a New use for mine!

F-style Apostate

Quote Originally Posted by Arnt View Post
    If you want to see something that will really expand your mind, go to a Sally Beauty supply and check out the flexible fingernail files that come in every grit you can think of, and are cheap.

14. The following members say thank you to Rick Lindstrom for this post: