Thread: Raleigh, NC beginner/intermediate bluegrass jams

<Edit - I suggest you go read this entry instead. More info, more up to date. I created another since I had put "beginner/intermediate bluegrass" in this topic name and now there is a more general one that includes this.>

Here's a link to the raleighareapickers Yahoo group

There are jams on some Tuesdays at a music store in Wendell (a little east of Raleigh) and at a member's home in Cary on Thursdays.

Here is the info from the group:

Description

This group is a line of communication for, and invitation to, beginning and
    intermediate level musicians in the Raleigh area to join in regular bluegrass jam and practice sessions. Instruments welcome: acoustic guitar, dobro, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, acoustic bass (jug requires pre-approval).
    Players who like to sing are definitely invited to.

Although called a jam session, sheetmusic is welcome if you want to use it. Join the group and then come join the jam!
    The best way for a beginner to decide if this group is for them is to give it a try. A playlist of songs is in the Database area of this Group for new members wanting to get a leg up.this entry

"First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

The jam at the store in Wendell is at Zepp Country Music, owned and operated by Donald Zepp. This Tuesday nite jam (every other Tuesday nite) is for beginners *only*...Zepp stresses this on his website...it is an atmosphere created for those at the beginning level...that would otherwise be left out, intimidated, or uncomfortable at the "pro" jam he hosts every Thursday nite...

Don't let me put this in a bad light...this is a GREAT thing he has done here...beginners have a GREAT oppurtunity to learn and will feel much more comfortable among those of similar skill levels...notice I did not say "talent levels"...these beginners obviously have talent, it just needs an atmosphere inherent ***to bring it out***... Once that is accomplished, moving up to the "pro" jam is not as hard as it would normally be!

At the Thurday nite jam, some ***very*** accomplished musicians often show up. These are the kind of sessions you'll remember when you are in the old folks home, if you make it that far... ...at first, alot of beginners would come this this jam, and find themselves very bewildered, intimidated, left to the "outside of the circle" and otherwise generally did not have a good experience. Zepp did a tremendeous job to remedy this by hosting two different sessions...

First, know you abilities...don't kid youself. If don't feel you can't hang with those who play as good or *better* than your current heroes (I'm thinking especially of Jeff Huffman here...the guy is like Tony Rice when Rice was 30 or Bryan Sutton when Bryan was 20 ) go on to the beginner jam that Zepp offers and hone your skills...you'll get to the Thursday nite jam MUCH quicker by going this route than by attending the Thursday nite jam too early or too soon in your learning. //BY ALL MEANS// come to the Thursday nite jam if you want to just watch, listen and learn...but I'd advise you leave you instrument at home because these guys don't hold back... Most are there because they are in regularly performing bands and attend to keep in practice, keep the rust off their fingers, and make each other sweat a little...

Likewise, Zepp prefers those that already have advanced and pro skills not to come to the Tuesday nite session for beginners unless you are there to actually help and teach. This does not mean showing off your hottest licks up and down the fretboard, but actually helping in breaking down tunes and the hardest parts of them, for individuals to learn and eventually get under their belts.

When I first started playing, I attended a very pro jam, the only one the Raleigh area had to offer at the time, and it was sink or swim...I was often intimidated, had my feelings hurt, many times left wishing I could "play like that guy"...I well remember this...//because we all start somewhere//...Zepp has provided a great place for beginners to feel comfortable, "at home" and make that jump to the next level a much sooner event than when I first started playing!!!

Banjo guru Al Batten has dropped by to help out on these beginner jam nites and mando-monster Jeff Aebi is often there...you attend when these guys are there, you will make leaps, not steps, in your abilities. They will bring out of you what the good Lord has already given you...

Come on out and have a great time!!! It is an incredible opportunity for you to enjoy the level you are at now, but also a place to quickly sharpen your skills to make the jump to the next level!!!