Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bargin prices for chisels and gouges?

Blog Entries

Default Bargin prices for chisels and gouges?

I happened on this by accident today.

How can anyone sell wood working tools at this price unless they are a low quality construction and metals?

With free shipping this is attractive just to have around as back up tools but the price is so low that it seems they couldn't really be a good investment?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

2. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Default Re: Bargin prices for chisels and gouges?

Boy, that's sure cheap! Must be some kind of something going on there.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Harbor Freight sell those very same ones, I looked at them in store.
    Unevenly ground, coarsely ground at that.
    These would take quite a bit to bring them up to a professional level of sharpness.
    As to edge retention, I wouldn't put good money on them keeping, let alone taking an edge.

5. The following members say thank you to xSinner13x for this post:

You get what you pay for. I would not bother.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

7. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

It would be a miracle if these chisels were of any use other than opening paint cans.

9. The following members say thank you to pointpergame for this post:

When someone comments on the all-to-common cheap manufactured junk that gets sold to people despite being devoid of quality and value, saying something like; "Why would anybody buy this?!" my usual response is; "It's the thought that counts!"
    (Perhaps some here will "get it", but my sarcastic sense of humor misses a lot of people...)

Unfortunately, there are manufactured items that are made for only one reason: to make money for the company.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Adrian Minarovic

I was given two or three chisels that look exactly like these. JUNK is weak word. Even the handle is unusable, made of poplar or some similar soft wood The rings fell off and the steel is not worth it's name. I use them for cleaning glue squeeze out and for opening paint cans.
    For relatively cheap chisels or gouges but with good quality steel I'd go for Narex mede in the Czech republic (even the cheapest version with plastic handle are great value)
    Adrian

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HoGo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    I was given two or three chisels that look exactly like these. JUNK is weak word. Even the handle is unusable, made of poplar or some similar soft wood The rings fell off and the steel is not worth it's name. I use them for cleaning glue squeeze out and for opening paint cans.
    For relatively cheap chisels or gouges but with good quality steel I'd go for Narex mede in the Czech republic (even the cheapest version with plastic handle are great value)
    Those are decent looking for the price.

F-style Apostate

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" is a book I remember as being hard to read, and I don't think I took anything away from it except one very important idea that will be with me until the end of my days:

The author makes the point that every object or thing has two natures- its virtual nature, and its essential nature. The virtual nature is what it looks like or appears to be, and the essential nature is what it really is, or in the case of objects meant to be used in some way, how it performs its intended purpose. I always think of a Martin guitar in this context- it looks like a Martin guitar (the virtual nature), and it plays and sounds like we expect a Martin to play and sound (the essential nature). We've all seen guitars that have the virtual nature of a Martin guitar (looks like a duck), but in no way sounds or plays like a Martin (doesn't quack like a duck).

These tools are a good example- they do look nice (virtual nature), but they are made of materials that keep them from performing their essential functions properly.

Ideally, the virtual and essential natures should be congruent, or sync up (in modern-speak), and when they do, you get something that performs as expected based on your perception of it's virtual nature.

It's also interesting to realize that sometimes the two natures don't sync up, but you still get something that performs its purpose exceptionally well. Think of a guitar or mandolin that looks like cr*p, but plays great and has a sound to die for.

Much of modern life consists of putting on the virtual appearance without being able to perform the essential functions, or even caring about the essential nature of things.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rick Lindstrom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    They look good enough to give a try. If the 4 pk chisels work out, I'll go for gouges. Always been a sucker for a decent edged tool.

Got the rosewood handled Miller Falls set at a swap meet for $20 with the original box, the longer handled buck brothers $3 each in the used chisel bin at Kents Tools in Tucson, would like to analyse the steel to see if it predates atmospheric nuclear testing, for that authentic pre-war sound when carving. Probably still more good ole hand tools out there than folks who know what to do with them......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2903.JPG 
Views:	234 
Size:	419.8 KB 
ID:	141151  

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldwave maker For This Useful Post:

To paraphrase:
    "Cheap tools are no bargain, if you can't sharpen them"
    Timothy F. Lewis

21. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

I am familiar with similar inexpensive tools, the result of well-intended gifts. Worse than useless.

Good tools last a long time. One of my favorite chisels is stamped with "E Jones" and "D Jones" in the handle. "E Jones" is my great grandfather. I suspect "D Jones" was his father, which would put the manufacture in the mid 19th C, and its use in the family at well over 100 years. There is a LOT of life left and it will take an edge.

Keep an eye out for someone's great grandfather's chisels and gouges, learn to recognize great steel, and you'll get real bargains!
    Stephen Perry

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Perry For This Useful Post:

Wow. Nobody is going to accuse that eBay seller of "price GOUGING."

See what I did there?
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PJ Doland For This Useful Post:

I have a lot of good chisels and one popped into the mix --a Erik Anton Berg ,Swedish made. Eventually I began to realize that it was the best piece of steel in my shop. A good set of Bergs will set you back a lot! I see good sets going for $600,$800 or more. I shopped ebay and it took awhile but I was able to put together a good set for under $200. I buy pretty regularly from Harbor Freight but their stuff is often dubious. They have their place, I buy big boxes of chip brushes, rubber gloves etc. real cheap. I think their $15.00 multitool is one of the best deals ever. Doesn't last? Buy three! I did! I use them more often than I ever thought I would and actually mine have held up just fine. You can buy 10 and it won't cost you the price of the one Fein makes. Mechanic wants $1500 to do work on your car but you can buy the parts for a couple hundred bucks if you only had that special tool---but look Harbor Freight sells one and it's $29! That is a case of 'it only has to work once! Their edge tools though are pretty much junk across the board as is most of their pneumatic stuff. Many of my tools lasted somebody's life time before I got them maybe even a couple of life times for some of them and they will outlast me as well but I do keep a buffer zone of junkier stuff between me and the good stuff. I'll use a chisel to open a paint can if it's within my reach and I know that about myself. With that in mind depending on who you are maybe you can get a bunch of service out of a $20 set of gouges --I probably would!

27. The following members say thank you to barney 59 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pointpergame View Post
    It would be a miracle if these chisels were of any use other than opening paint cans.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldwave maker View Post
    Got the rosewood handled Miller Falls set at a swap meet for $20 with the original box, the longer handled buck brothers $3 each in the used chisel bin at Kents Tools in Tucson, would like to analyse the steel to see if it predates atmospheric nuclear testing, for that authentic pre-war sound when carving. Probably still more good ole hand tools out there than folks who know what to do with them......
    That is a great looking set of tools!
    Bernie
    ____

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Doland View Post
    Wow. Nobody is going to accuse that eBay seller of "price GOUGING."

See what I did there?
    Yep, I "cut" right to the joke, pretty "sharp", maybe even "edgy" there, PJ
    Timothy F. Lewis

31. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Perry View Post
    I am familiar with similar inexpensive tools, the result of well-intended gifts. Worse than useless.

Good tools last a long time. One of my favorite chisels is stamped with "E Jones" and "D Jones" in the handle. "E Jones" is my great grandfather. I suspect "D Jones" was his father, which would put the manufacture in the mid 19th C, and its use in the family at well over 100 years. There is a LOT of life left and it will take an edge.

Keep an eye out for someone's great grandfather's chisels and gouges, learn to recognize great steel, and you'll get real bargains!
    My father is currently in possession of all of those vintage goodies that belonged to my Grandfather....

My older brother is by far the finest finish carpenter I know (I am also a finish carpenter). A few years back his oldest son gave him a Lee Nielsen block plane ($165.00). His son builds classical guitars. When he gave his dad the plane he pointed out that the box said Lee Nielsen - Heirloom Quality Tools and followed that up by saying he expected to get that plane back some day.
    Bill Snyder

There is no such thing as a bargain tool. You end up paying more than once. I may suggest that you look into flea markets and garage sales for good quality tools. Spend your money on a decent grinder, and honing stones. Learn how to use them on your cheaper tools.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil-D For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't waste any money on those chisels, most of them are the wrong shape for most of the operations I do instrument making, even if they were good quality tools. I have lots of chisels, but I could get by with just a few, as I seem to reach for a few favorites for most operations. Good edge tools don't have to cost a lot, especially in these parts; the most commons brands you're likely to find at flea markets, estate sales etc. are good quality Scandinavian brands like E.A. Berg, Jernbolaget, Kongsberg etc. A few will be ground to short, rusted or misused beyond rescue, but many will be excellent. Most will have very crude or worn out / missing handles when you find them, so you get to turn new handles, but then you'll have a tool that fits you, and it will be more pleasing to use than most anything you can buy new.

Used, old English chisels from brands like Marples, Sorby and Taylor are also good quality tools that you sometimes find quite inexpensively on eBay, if not locally.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010_zpsekjnlrin.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	141172 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	naeligrbilde_zpsknaysyrx.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	141173

37. The following members say thank you to Arnt for this post:

Cheap tools are thrown away money. You buy. You try. You get mad. You buy good tool and throw away bad tool. Better yet, give it to someone you don't particularly like. This is a lesson my father tried to teach me. Like every other know it all young buck, I had to test it myself before I believed.

Some of the best chisels out there are the English and American chisels from the mid to late 19th century. They almost always have an octagonal base where it butts up against the handle. They also say "CAST STEEL" on them. Now people tend to equate cast steel with cast iron. They are totally different. There was clay near Sheffield, England that could be used for crucibles to melt the iron, and then carbon could be added to produce steel. The resulting steel is some of the best ever produced. These are my sharpest, toughest, go to chisels. Check out your local garage sales and estate sales. I keep buying them because I can't stand seeing them go for a dollar or less.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by George Roberts View Post
    Some of the best chisels out there are the English and American chisels from the mid to late 19th century. They almost always have an octagonal base where it butts up against the handle. They also say "CAST STEEL" on them. Now people tend to equate cast steel with cast iron. They are totally different. There was clay near Sheffield, England that could be used for crucibles to melt the iron, and then carbon could be added to produce steel. The resulting steel is some of the best ever produced. These are my sharpest, toughest, go to chisels. Check out your local garage sales and estate sales. I keep buying them because I can't stand seeing them go for a dollar or less.
    Too bad there are virtually no garage sales around here. These tools just get dumped by folks who inferit them thinking they have no value. I accidantally dug out old chisel from ground when we were building new fence around our church. It was all covered in rust adn handle was completely gone but when I groung it back to clean steel it revealed that "cast steel" logo and luckily there were not too much deep pits in the bacvk so I was able to sharpen it and it certainly is great chisel.
    Adrian